• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Holy $@&? !!!!!! I spilled my dye pan

DougCrawford

Double Eagle Member
So it happened. On my second dye- my big ol pan of Idye poly BLACK gets knocked onto the floor of our apartment. Over 1k a month rent, and of course, those big plastic tiles.

Jeans wrecked, scrambling for towels, and waking up the wife who majored in this kind of stuff. She's a polymer/color chemist from NC state- dyes/plastics/textiles.

I'm three hours into the cleanup but progress is being made. Cold water, dish soap, fast sudsy action with lots of mopping and re applying. Magic erasers every couple rotations.

Anyone else find themselves in this situation? I am clumsy by nature, spit may just be me.

My knees hurt.... Need less scrubbing on the floor at midnight.

this is why I use the shaving cream, dish soap, etc. method. Takes a lot longer, but minimal risk of spillage....

good luck :(

I've only done that in my nightmares:| Good luck with the cleanup. Let us know what worked best in case someone else has this happen.

Next morning report:

Magic erasers worked well, but the thing that worked best was numerous applications of dish soap and COLD water. Cold water to slow down the dying process, and the dye wont really apply when in a surfactant solution. Soap, cold water, lather, paper towel it up, and repeat. Over and over. The quarter of the kitchen where it spilled is now only slightly darker than the rest of the floor, but its not very noticeable. The floor does have a faux-marble finish though, so that does help cover it up.

Good news though- the discs turned out nice :)

Now the important question - are you still allowed to dye in the kitchen?

I spilled some red idye in the kitchen one time. Naturally, I panicked and tried everything I could think of. It just smeared around making the white/tan linoleum a pinkish color. Then my wife walks in with bleach/water and wipes it up with minimal effort...

Anyway, bleach and water seemed to work well in my case, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Now the important question - are you still allowed to dye in the kitchen?

It will be done like a ninja in the night... when the wife is in bed, and the kitchen will most likely look like a scene from Dexter, with plastic sheeting everywhere.

Or I might just have to hold off until we move in a couple months- and I have my 24x24 foot shed.

I had a small splash with Worm Dye neon pink last week....let's just say whomever gets this apartment next is going to have a few questions....it got into the white caulking and immediately dyed thanks to the heavy base of acetone in the worm dye, nothing I can do :(

I had a small splash with Worm Dye neon pink last week....let's just say whomever gets this apartment next is going to have a few questions....it got into the white caulking and immediately dyed thanks to the heavy base of acetone in the worm dye, nothing I can do :(

Pull the remodeler trick when you can't get mold, etc out of a caulked area, apply new caulk over it :thmbup:

Pull the remodeler trick when you can't get mold, etc out of a caulked area, apply new caulk over it :thmbup:

Take a putty knife of something and use it to pull that old caulk out. Re caulk it.

As long as it isn't painted over that should work. If it's somewhere like in the joint of a bathtub it'll work wonders!

I say you just bite the bullet and dye the whole carpet... fugg it

This wasn't me. But you aren't the first.
2quu2xw.jpg

Shiiiii..... That sucks man. The Dexter idea sounds like a good one when dyeing in the kitchen.

^^^At that point I'd just '60s-psychedelic the whole floor, and replace it when time to move.