• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How Can We Minimize 'Flukey Rollaways'?

Also, golf balls do not gain momentum from rimming out. A disc that bounces out of or off a basket, gains momentum in its fall to the ground which may transfer to the roll.

Not to mention that in golf, putts usually don't hit the target at high speed, so don't exit it with much momentum on near-misses.

As often, golf comparisons have limited value.

I like the risk factor of rollaways. It makes the decisions more interesting. Equally spit-outs. I really can't stand the blaming of baskets, ground or even water bottles of spectators. These all are environmental facts that one knows and has to consider when playing. If you don't want to interfere with these things, play in a way that the interference is minimized -- this is a skill thing.

Designing for nasty roll-aways provides flukiness and entertainment value that typically appeals to spectators and recreational players (especially if it impacts someone other than you). Designing to minimize the negative impact of roll-aways provides a more consistent stage for higher level competition. What are your goals with the design? Ideally, you would use the same design goal for all holes where punitive roll-aways were a possibility. Or, perhaps have two pin placements on these holes where one has severe roll-away issues and the other where roll-aways are prevented or insignificant. That way you can set the course differently for daily play versus tournament play.

I say we keep the rollaway slopes, and get rid of trees.

Talk about flukey---I never know whether a disc hitting a tree will kick into the fairway, kick deep into the rough, or just fall straight down into an awkward lie behind the trunk.

Latest posts