• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

how close do you throw you mids from?

gianetics

Birdie Member
there are a lot of post about how far you can throw you mids, but few on how close to a basket you throw them. i love my flx buzzz it can do anything i ask it to do, but i have trouble using it. i am driving further than i ever have and most holes i go driver putter. i want to start using it from closer distances, because the putter im using is a pig it is overstable but not much fade. a lot of times i leave it out right. is using mids a bad idea over my putter? should i just get a couple of different putters?

Depending on the shot. If it's wooded or I feel like taking a hyzer or skip line I'll use a drone (or even a TeeRex) from as little as 60 feet away. If it's more open of a line or not too windy I don't bring out the buzzzes inside of 120 feet. And I'll use them from as far away as 315'.

When I am forced to putt/upshot with a FH throw... I always grab the Golden Drone. Even as little as 15-20 ft. I just can't FH a putter effectively... yet.

Depends on the shot I'm taking. If I'm throwing a wide open hole with no obstacles and no wind, I prefer using my putters from about 320' and in, and mids about 325-370'. However on a real hole low ceilings come into play, and sometimes I need a harder fade than a putter will allow, in which case the mids is more practical even if it's only 200'. I tend to use putters for approach and I treat my mids as control drivers, I feel way more precise approaching with a putter.

I'm at a strange stage in my game where I'm throwing around the 300-325' mark with my drivers, and can get my putter (Zone) out to 250'. The last few times I've been out my Buzzzes (fav disc) have sat out, and I've thrown drivers from the tee, and my Zone for everything else.

That being said. I think once you start getting your drivers out to the 350-400 foot range, the mids become MUCH more important for your 250-350 range. I'm looking forward to getting to that point. Truth be told, I should be leaving my drivers out, and using my Buzzz for that shot.

It really depends on the shot, I'd rarely throw a mid for anything less than 100 feet unless I was working around some obstacle...

Last year I used a pig as my main putter. Now, I use it as my primary approach disc and for shorter drives...pretty much any shot 200' or less except for anhyzer shots. I will go to the roc for those ones.

It is usually windy here, so my pigs get a lot of use. I still use them for my putts when the wind is more than 10 mph.

I have moved on to using the SSS wizard as my #1 putter. In the meantime, I have recorded 2 aces with the pig.

It depends...

I tend not to work on absolutes, but as a rule, I typically tend to throw mids abouy 150 - 225 feet from the basket, but I sometimes throw them from as little as 100' away.. depends on the lie, the line I want to take, wind, and other conditions.

Bruce Lee: "Don't think... feel."

I'm sure you'll get a lot of responses of "it depends." Because it does. There will be times when from 100+ feet away I'll grab my putter. No wind, straight shot, don't want much fade. That sort of thing. But when I need to shape a shot, when its windy, when my putter isn't doing what I want (archer, not the arrow) then I reach for one of my mids. I don't, can't make the hero shots many folks can so that 300 foot thing is always a driver. My effective mid distance is 200 or closer. I carry a few mids, like my sig, I always play with a Buzzz ;) and something more over stable, right now my Wasp, and something understable like my Meteor, Comet or an Impact.

But like you there are plenty of times its Driver/Putter. And if thats all I need then thats all I need. I figure I'm just getting extra exercise carrying all the unused discs. And in my case I always carry 2 putters. My Summit and either a Soft Magnet or a Prostyle U-2.

Depends on the shot. Most of the time I use my midrange from 150-225 ft. Sometimes I like to force my putter out to around 200 if the approach is fairly open.

I use my mid over my putter whenever I need a forehand upshot or if the ceiling is too low for a putter. Basically when it needs speed and not glide.

I rarely pull out anything but a putter from about 275' and in. Occasionally, there will be a ceiling issue or a situation where I need the disc to fade hard or hold a certain line that I will pull out a mid. Inside of 200', I can't remember the last time I threw a mid.

how close do you throw you mids from?

I thought it was a trick question.

How close do you get before you use your mid?
or
How close are you before you switch from a mid?

I answered both.

what's a mid range?

The sounds in between your bass and treble....

I use my putter as much as possible inside 250, so that means my mids typically cover from 250-300.

Exeptions: shorter bigger fading shots, stronger head wind, standing shots with awkward footing (the extra stability has helped me since the release may be a bit off balance)

It all depends on the height and what kind of line I can take. In the open, I can push my putter up to 250' but feel more confident up to 225' so I would switch to a mid around that distance on wide open.

Basic formula that makes it easy is, I look at the line and ask myself "Can I get there with my putter within reason?" (within reason, I mean without trying to really heave it and sacrifice control). Then if not, I repeat the question with my mid, then my fairway driver, then my distance driver if Im carrying one.

Factors on whether I think I can make it are, if I need it to turnover and go that far, I might go a little faster. If I need a hyzer I will look to my (typically faster) overstable discs.

My mids come out for the 250-320 range typically. 320-350 I'm using fairways and for anything over 350 I'm using actual drivers.

I have such a wonky mid selection so it really doesnt matter.

200 or so for the blaze
200ish for the cobra
150 and in for the gator and also when I need to turn a corner on a shorter distance.
??? fuse...whenever I feel I need it. Probably 150 in.

Don't know if it's been said already, but one shot where my mid always trumps my putters is where I've got low ceilings and I need some skip.