• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do we get Disc Golf into the big time?

that would only work if its a private course. otherwise you would have way too many outsiders.

No way. Every city I've lived in has a ton of public golf courses which are maintained and run, for profit, by the city. Who are these outsiders you're so afraid of? Don't we want to grow the sport? We want outsiders coming in and paying to play!! I'm not sure if you're worried about non-disc golfers wandering around on the course...if you are, I'd have to say that's not a worry in ball golf, why would that be a worry here?
No memberships necessary, discounted rates for residents...maybe the ability to purchase an annual resident card which will further lower the rates.
The beautiful difference between disc golf and ball golf is that in disc golf, you have a fraction of the necessary maintenance and upkeep of a ball golf course. Hopefully that means significantly lower fees and significantly better courses. I would guess that maintenance of a disc golf course is less than 10% of a ball golf course.

Worlds next year is happening at Lemon Lake right near Chicago, and there's at least one big event every year at La Mirada in L.A. I agree that major market exposure would be great, but even when things are going on in big cities, the media outlets just aren't that interested in covering a niche sport unfortunately.

Well I think that having the World's in Chicago is a huge opportunity for the sport. Now, I'm familiar with Chicago a bit, and I'm guessing that this course isn't IN the city itself...so what's it's proximity to Chicago? N/S/E or W?

Anyone thought about contacting your local news station, or paper about covering one of you local tournaments?

Well I think that having the World's in Chicago is a huge opportunity for the sport. Now, I'm familiar with Chicago a bit, and I'm guessing that this course isn't IN the city itself...so what's it's proximity to Chicago? N/S/E or W?

Southeast in Indiana, about an hour from downtown Chicago.

Honestly, who cares whether or not the business people running pro shops or courses are avid disc golf lovers?
Most people who play disc golf with a semi-modicum of seriousness do.

If someone has deep pockets, they probably aren't interested in just throwing their money away and will put some real business know-how into the course a pro shop and grow it more than someone with a love of the sport but without the necessary resources...
Business know how would mean understanding your customer demographic. Not knowing the game, what those who play it want from it, and their laidback nature can be a serious liability that no amount of resources can overcome.

In "those with money" vs. "those without money", those with the money tend to win.
Those with money who win do so because they are also smart. Those with money who are not smart tend to lose. Those who are smart and do not have money, often soon have money.

The fact of the matter is that nothing good stays free forever.
And another fact of the matter is once serious money gets involved, that good thing isn't good to a lot of people anymore and there's a shakeout. You can only hope that by the time it gets to that point you have a plentiful number of folks who don't remember the good ol' days before the yuppies came in and ruined everything. You only need to look at our big brother sport and the state its in for a not so shining example.

Midnight - I think every tourney or event should have someone in charge of bothering the local media outlets into covering AND MOST IMPORTANTLY previewing the event. A good preview might bring some curious non-players out...and as long as the event is put together well, could hopefully attact a few new players....

mashnut - How far do you think Jay Cutler could throw a thumber??

Most people who play disc golf with a semi-modicum of seriousness do.

Business know how would mean understanding your customer demographic. Not knowing the game, what those who play it want from it, and their laidback nature can be a serious liability that no amount of resources can overcome.

Those with money who win do so because they are also smart. Those with money who are not smart tend to lose. Those who are smart and do not have money, often soon have money.

And another fact of the matter is once serious money gets involved, that good thing isn't good to a lot of people anymore and there's a shakeout. You can only hope that by the time it gets to that point you have a plentiful number of folks who don't remember the good ol' days before the yuppies came in and ruined everything. You only need to look at our big brother sport and the state its in for a not so shining example.

a "semi-modicum of seriousness?" That's a bit melodramatic don't you think? If someone is running a course to be successful, they will care about their customers and make decisions accordingly. Someone made a good point earlier about keeping people playing past the age of 25...I think that in order to do that we really do need to look at our "big brother." A lot of the reasons that this sport currently appeals to the youth of this country are the same things that need to be cleaned up in order for the older crowd to stay with it. I'm pretty sure that there will always be courses for the barefoot hippies to go smoke in the woods and for the aspiring frat boys to litter their beers and be obnoxious to others on the course...but I'm hoping for more courses for grown ups and serious players....

"before the yuppies came in and ruined everything..." yeah golf has been ruined alright, it's popularity is at an all time high and growing...it's not considered the "game of the rich" anymore and it's been successfully marketed to lower incomes....there is no shortage of courses...especially really nice ones.... I mean what's wrong with golf? To me your argument is akin to a baseball team saying, "No we don't want to be like the Yankees! Sure they've got a ton of titles, they make more money off of merchandise alone than most teams make period, their players are recognizable celebrities...but we don't want to be like that! We like being an afterthought..."

In my earlier post I criticized ball golf, but that mostly was for the formality of it. I think that formality came about because the sport has always been associated with the upper classes. It has predominantly been a rich man's game.

In contrast, disc golf was started by a very less glamorous crowd. A lot of hippies and casual outdoor enthusiasts and the game is still mostly played in free public parks. So we're really at the opposite end of the spectrum from ball golf.

Beyond that formality, I don't think anything has gone particularly wrong with ball golf. It's a great sport, has great mind share, and has great courses. You might balk at the greens fees I guess. I'm not advocating that we always have to be $20 to play a round of disc golf.

But I don't think the fundamental hippie nature of the sport is likely to change. I think of it like Tango. Tango was first created in Europe, failed to gain any attention amongst the upper classes, and was then adopted and changed by the rough working class of Buenos Aires. After several decades, the dance became quite renown amongst the upper class in Buenos Aires (who viewed themselves very European) and they began to incorporate it. Now Tango is one of the most popular and distinguished dance and music styles in the world. Yet when I was in Buenos Aires, there were tens of Tango Clubs where the locals just show up and dance, working class and all, and it hasn't changed hardly a white in 100 years. The "soul" of Tango came out of the poor and it has never lost that feeling.

I think the same will always be true of disc golf. There will always be free parks to play, and I don't think we'll ever see rules about white pants, polo shirts, and golf carts become the norm when you want to just throw. I think we're safe from that.

However, that was a good point about private companies coming in just for the $ and kicking out small business owners who love the sport. I expect that would/could happen; it isn't clear to me that that's a bad thing, per se. But I guess the risk is that the people who care would be run out and go do something else. Then the people who don't care *might* not do as good a job, so people stop spending their money there, and then the non-caring people leave ("there wasn't any money in it") but the original caring folks are busy doing something else and don't come back.

But, ball golf appears to have successfully gotten past all that. When I played regularly there were great public courses, you could get a solid tee time, everyone pretty much knew the rules, and everything was maintained. It was a really positive experience. I just hated the upper-crustiness of the whole thing.

Food for thought. To the comment about a ball golf course not being that much fun to play: I agree that most ball golf courses are too big and too open to warrant a great experience on the normal fairways. But by making the sandtraps OB, and using the edges of the fairways (where there are often a lot of trees) I think it could be really interesting. I guess what I am imagining are disc golf courses that have the beauty of a ball golf course, but scaled down and laid out a bit differently to make a better fit for discs. Using sandtraps as OB for me would be preferable to a lot of the cruddy marshes and creeks where I lose discs. And because sandtraps can be sculpted, it would be easy to create some really interesting holes that way.

Last edited:
One great way for the sport to grow (and maybe the best) is to get it into the school sports system.

A) teach children at a recreational level at a young age so they develop the basic skills and love for the game.

B) Have competitive school teams that play against other schools in the area starting at the middle school or junior high level.

C) Have competitive disc golf at the collegiate level.

I realize there are a lot of details and processes involved in these three stages that would take a novel to discuss, but the basic idea is a great one that would produce a solid crop of well informed athletes into the disc golf world, create a much larger demographic to generate money into the sport, and lend credibility to our beautiful sport to a world that is largely blind to it.

I know I wish my school had had a disc golf team.

One great way for the sport to grow (and maybe the best) is to get it into the school sports system.

A) teach children at a recreational level at a young age so they develop the basic skills and love for the game.

B) Have competitive school teams that play against other schools in the area starting at the middle school or junior high level.

I realize there are a lot of details and processes involved in these three stages that would take a novel to discuss, but the basic idea is a great one that would produce a solid crop of well informed athletes into the disc golf world, create a much larger demographic to generate money into the sport, and lend credibility to our beautiful sport to a world that is largely blind to it.

I agree with this, and I think it was also mentioned in the last Discgolfer magazine that collegiate tourneys are most likely to get media coverage.

And how about paying David Beckham to play? Unlike Tiger, that guy will do anything for the right price.

Although I have to say that I am one of those that doesn't really want to see the sport get too much bigger than it is now.

"before the yuppies came in and ruined everything..." yeah golf has been ruined alright, it's popularity is at an all time high and growing...it's not considered the "game of the rich" anymore and it's been successfully marketed to lower incomes....there is no shortage of courses...especially really nice ones.... I mean what's wrong with golf?
Have you even read anything in news regarding the state of recreational golf over the last few years? Umm, here, this should keep you busy for awhile.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/21/nyregion/21golf.html?pagewanted=all
http://www.earthgolf.com/2008/01/18/more-courses-closed-in-2007-than-opened/
http://www.thestreet.com/story/10471146/golfs-recession-claims-grand-courses.html
http://www.eagleparbirdie.com/50226711/the_decline_and_fall_of_recreational_golf.php

To me your argument is akin to a baseball team saying, "No we don't want to be like the Yankees! Sure they've got a ton of titles, they make more money off of merchandise alone than most teams make period, their players are recognizable celebrities...but we don't want to be like that! We like being an afterthought..."
When the Yankees were building a championship franchise by raising then unknowns in their farm system they eventually won four World Series championships in five years. How many have they won since buying the A-Rods and Giambis of the world from other teams? Umm........
:rolleyes:

Money doesn't always equal success. Especially when you run your business like a racehorse instead of a business.

I've actually heard that there is disc golf at the collegiate level, at least in club play...and that it can be kind of big. Someone once told me that the University of Wisconsin had a disc golf team...can anyone confirm or deny that?

This may be a total off the wall idea, but I think it would be cool to have a "Pay to Play " course with two courses. A really good 18 hole course for the regular players, and a nice, short, easy 9-hole course for beginner players. They could also rent discs to the beginners, and let them try out the sport. I mean people pay as much as $6-$8 to play mini golf, so why wouldn't they pay a little to play disc golf.

The biggest problem is getting the public's attention. It has to be some sort of news story that talks about the benefits of playing.

The biggest problem I see here in Texas is getting people outside when its hot. For some reason , they have no problems going to play softball or volleyball in there backyard, but everyone I tell about the sport say "How can you play in this summer heat". I got one guy to play, but his wife will not come watch till it cools off some.

Have you even read anything in news regarding the state of recreational golf over the last few years? Umm, here, this should keep you busy for awhile.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/21/nyregion/21golf.html?pagewanted=all
http://www.earthgolf.com/2008/01/18/more-courses-closed-in-2007-than-opened/
http://www.thestreet.com/story/10471146/golfs-recession-claims-grand-courses.html
http://www.eagleparbirdie.com/50226711/the_decline_and_fall_of_recreational_golf.php

When the Yankees were building a championship franchise by raising then unknowns in their farm system they eventually won four World Series championships in five years. How many have they won since buying the A-Rods and Giambis of the world from other teams? Umm........
:rolleyes:

Money doesn't always equal success. Especially when you run your business like a racehorse instead of a business.

I think you made my point for me:) OK, so the Yanks probably wasn't the best example to use. Your take on the Yanks winnign their championships with players they brought up out of their farm system is half right...they did bring up Jeter and Soriano and Posada...but they also had Clemmons, Cone, Petite, Martinez, Knoblauch...they've always had their hired guns, so your argument isn't valid...but you question why they haven't won recently, you are validating the fact that the Yanks are expected to be and should be the best team in baseball...always.....but I'm totally digressing....and I'm a Brewers fan!!! But the Yanks are just so great and have been for so long, I don't know how you can't respect that org for being by far and away the class of MLB....

My school teaches Disc golf in High school P.E. class, there are quite a few high schoolers + that play now because of that.

I would love to play at college level...

Ugh must have something after quote to post...

This may be a total off the wall idea, but I think it would be cool to have a "Pay to Play " course with two courses. A really good 18 hole course for the regular players, and a nice, short, easy 9-hole course for beginner players. They could also rent discs to the beginners, and let them try out the sport. I mean people pay as much as $6-$8 to play mini golf, so why wouldn't they pay a little to play disc golf.

The biggest problem is getting the public's attention. It has to be some sort of news story that talks about the benefits of playing.

The biggest problem I see here in Texas is getting people outside when its hot. For some reason , they have no problems going to play softball or volleyball in there backyard, but everyone I tell about the sport say "How can you play in this summer heat". I got one guy to play, but his wife will not come watch till it cools off some.

People play ball golf in the Texas heat don't they? Personally, my favorite courses are ones that are fairly heavily wooded...perhaps "playing in the shade" could be some sort of selling point for particular courses??

I tell you what...I bet if there was some sort of fund raiser and you could get a Tony Romo or a Troy Aikman....or even Jay Novacek, I bet you could get people to come out! I remember reading a story from Minneapolis where they had a number of former Vikes out there playing and were interviewed afterward and had some very positive things to say about it.....

Are there any courses on any Ivy League campuses? How about any of the other non-Ivy league, but very high profile schools like Stanford? I know a lot of smaller scools that have courses and bigger schools who have courses in the same towns, but what about these universities?

I bet if there were courses at Yale, Harvard, Brown, etc., then you'd really raise the awareness and probably get a number of courses built where there currently are none. (Sorry Columbia, but I don't think you have any room up in Washington Heights...can anyone correct me if I'm wrong on this?)

i'm cool with the relative obscurity of DG / laid back nature. i'm ok with not seeing DG on nightly Sportscenter highlights - it would be weird anyways.

i see so many complaints from people on this forum complaining about crowded courses & other problems associated with more people playing the game. Why would you want more people playing?

ballgolf has become more annoying to play due to its recent surge in popularity. every hack in the world is out there since its the chic thing to do.

i'm comfortable playing a game nobody knows about. I dont need something to be popular to justify playing.

Latest posts