• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you do it???

Mr. Sir

Par Member
How do you clear your head after a bad showing at a tourney. (this isn't advice for me....its for my friend.....uh...uh....Fred)

Granted, the course with said tourney was held at is a heavily wooded, many trees, with lots of woods, and lots of forrest. I usally feel decent about my rounds, but i was humbled to say the least. I usually don't have off days during tourneys, i usally play better, i mean he doesn't usually:doh:... I think it might be a needed humbling though.

I plan on getting out tomorrow and getting right back into the game, play a more traditional course. How do you recover from those off days?

If you're going out tomorrow to play a "more traditional course" meaning an open course then be prepared to make this thread again next time you hit the woods.

The best way to clear your head and get your mind right after a bad round/rounds us to improve whatever it was that caused it.
If you can't hit lines in the woods then spend the day learning how. There's no better feeling than hitting that narrow gap :)

Normally I am competitive in Advanced but the last tourney I played the wind was about 30 with 45mph gusts. No complaining because everyone played in the same conditions, but as a new player I have very little experience in those conditions. I shot +14 in the first round and ended up on the last card. It hurt but you know even professionals have off days. I just took it as more that I need to improve on.

Did you get to spend the day outside throwing plastic? How you finished doesn't matter. Relax and realize that you can't win them all. Even the highest tier of pros have a bad day. And, as caddy said, if you have trouble in the woods, spend some time in them working on your accuracy.

I have played really well on this same course, just today was not my day. I was wanting a little more space to air some plastic out just to feel good about my game again,.
I had an off day as far as score goes, i had and awesome time playing and being outside. Met some cool guys and had lots of laughs. I'm not one of those guys who only has fun when winning. I am not quitting on the course, i will be playing it again, I have scored really well on this course. I just wanna have some momentum going into some upcoming bigger tourneys (they are more traditional courses also)

Was it mental collapse or poor execution?

If it was mental, start from scratch. Open field, fundamentals. Then play an open course and just build your game and confidence up piece by piece.

If it was execution, then go back to that course and attack it. If you know you can - and then proceed to prove that to yourself that you can- then that should give you confidence for the next tourney. If you instead discover flaws that you can't execute around...then see above suggestion

Mental: Read this http://www.amazon.com/Golf-Not-Game-Perfect-Rotella/dp/068480364X

Execution: My buddy got me into creating a spreadsheet where I log every shot I threw in a tournament and then mark it whether it helped or hurt my game. When you have all your shots in front of you, you can see where you lost strokes and what shots you need improvement on. The rest is field work to get rid of those strokes.

Send me a PM if you want an example of the spreadsheet.

I've always found I can dwell, or just accept the butt pain and move on.

Played extremely competitive soccer my entire life (among other sports) and as a center back it was my job to not **** up. Guess what? I've ****ed up before. It sucks, especially when you are arguably the most competitive person on the face of the planet, but you can't change the past.

Execution: My buddy got me into creating a spreadsheet where I log every shot I threw in a tournament and then mark it whether it helped or hurt my game. When you have all your shots in front of you, you can see where you lost strokes and what shots you need improvement on. The rest is field work to get rid of those strokes.

This sounds like a good idea. I may have to try this. I love me a spreadsheet. :thmbup:

Personally, I find myself doing more of this from hole to hole DURING the tourney. The funny thing is, my fellow competitors had my back. It wasn't a "C"mon, man, you got this" kind of vocal support, but it was respectful silence when I needed to work through a rough hole, and simple kudos on a good shot once the funk was out. I followed up a double bogey with an ace in one round last weekend, and went circle-7, 2, 6, 2 in the last round of the tourney. Nothing like a birdie to turn around a hole full of bad disc decisions or moments of poor execution. Get on the good streak of throwing the way you know you can, and the down moments dissolve faster than you think.