• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you get 500+ throws??????

Wich disc is best for flat distance speed drives around 300-500ft ?

• Total voters
Whatever..................I gained 500ft since my 1st round!!! Its true I only threw like 50ft my 1st round.

All I am saying is that I am still throwing farther than you and I am not nearly the biggest thrower around and just throwing overstable plastic will not smooth out your form like a putter would once you learn to manipulate nose angles and spin.

Just because you are throwing farther now it doesn't mean you have been going about it the right way and anyway turning over a stable disc for distance brings more consistent results but less D potential than a hyzerflip with a slightly understable disc.

You sound like someone that has everything figured out............Go get a Z Xtreme and learn to throw it straight and by your thinking you will throw 1000ft easy. Now if you go out and throw a lot of putters you will learn to apply more spin to a disc and putters force you to eliminate OAT and any other form of unclean release.

It seems that you have got some things wrong.
1)You should start with putters for best and easiest way of learning a good form BUT Throwing and practicing with overstable discs AFTER you have managed to get a smooth form from putters would give you some extra booost to your smooth form.

2)I have not figured everything out.If i had everything figured out I would throw and compete in the distance world championships and throw over 790ft. I even have a loooooong way left before I get over the 550"mark.

3)In sweden isn´t the Z-Xtreme available but i can make my Z-FLICK GO STRAIGHT for 350 ft before it turns.

When I train I throw twentyfive discs up and down on a small hill in the time of two to four hours and under that time the muscles that powers the throw becomes stronger and the more I train the more speed and power I get.So if the discs is more overstable they will put more strain on the muscles so you will get even stronger in the muscles that powers the throws.

When I train I throw twentyfive discs up and down on a small hill in the time of two to four hours and under that time the muscles that powers the throw becomes stronger and the more I train the more speed and power I get.So if the discs is more overstable they will put more strain on the muscles so you will get even stronger in the muscles that powers the throws.

You don´t get much stronger over one workout so you have to give it some time.

between these workout you should also train on throwing understable discs and try to turn them over as simple as possible. After a while you while gain distancs but you will gain distancs faster if you train more.In the year of 2008 I trained like this almost every day during the summer and during 2009 I worked alot and got alot stronger in my arms.

It was referring to the Swede who is throwing overstable stuff to "train". I used to flip over Firebirds for a few months when I was 13 but that wasn't because I was doing something right it was actually because I was a Torque Monkey and it wasn't until I started using mids and putters for driving that I learned how to throw drivers better.

Trying to be a Gorilla doesn't help you gain Distance which is why there are plenty of Teenagers who can throw over 450ft.

Right here is the key guys. If you want to train to gain power, dont throw discs, go to the gym and do some "explosive" lifts like cleans. that will help your muscles generate power in quick bursts. but really it is working with the mids and putters that will make your throw more fluid which equates to more distance from a useful standpoint

Until the rest of you get your rating over 1000, I'm trusting what Scooter says. Call me crazy.

Until the rest of you get your rating over 1000, I'm trusting what Scooter says. Call me crazy.
I was going to post something like that. He may come off harsh, but he's a 1000+ rated, sponsored pro who can throw over 500' and both subscribes to, and has used the most effective learning methods. So, while he did have the natural ability to throw far early on in his career, he's also fixed some of the same problems we all have by using the methods recommended here and on DGR.

Ironically, the guy asking how to throw over 500' is arguing with one of the few people on here who's actually qualified to give advice.

A good distance practise thing should be that you would throw with drivers, to overstable for you to master but in time you will turn them over like paper plates in the wind.
ummmm yea but stepping up in stabilities will do nothing more than make your form intolerant to making a disc fly how it is supposed to. If you go out and start using a Champ Firebird until you can throw it like a Leopard that doesn't mean us learned something it actually means you broke something.
I agree with scooter. If you manipulate your form to make an overstable disc fly further, you will hurt yourself in the long run. The reason you are seeing improvements in distance is a combination of you throwing harder and changing your release angles. When you then go back to a more understable disc you will turn it over more and thus get more distance.
Overstable discs will not put any more strain on you muscles than understable discs. If you are straining more it is because you are trying to throw harder. You could get the same results throwing an understable disc harder. Weight lifting would be a better way to accomplish this. That way you aren't messin up your form.

So can anyone explain why throwing mids and putters helps you improve your form more than throwing drivers, or is it just some kind of wisdom that is the product of experience over time?

Unlike wider-winged sharp nosed drivers, midrange discs and putters have a good deal of wind resistance due to a large cross-sectional profile as they cut through the air. As a result, to throw them for significant distance, you must learn to master the concepts of manipulating nose angle- specifically, throwing true nose down- and imparting significant spin to the disc, so it holds its flight shape in the air longer without precessing left(RHBH) early on, thus diving to the ground and preventing a full and longer flight.

In addition, spending time working on throwing putters far is a great way to reveal the existence of off-axis torque(commonly abbreviated as OAT) in your throw. It shows up as initial wobble/flutter, or dramatic turnover in the initial portion of the flight, and is often much more dramatically noticeable when throwing a full-power putter shot than in throwing drivers. If you work to minimize this initial flutter/torque turnover, you're improving how your wrist/forearm angles line up with your rotational motion when you pull through the hit. Suffice it to say that OAT robs both distance and accuracy significantly.

Both of these areas are masked by faster, wide-rimmed drivers - e.g. you can throw a Wraith 300' with awful off-axis torque and nose up, because it has less wind resistance and will fly more quickly through the air relative to initial velocity, in addition to being more resistant to OAT due to the rotational properties of having a wider, sharper wing(I won't go any deeper into the physics at this point :) )

Improving your ability to control nose angle, spin, and a smooth OAT-less pull will then significantly improve the distance you're able to throw drivers, not just mids/putters.

There's a lot more at discgolfreview.com, which is the best knowledge base I know of for throw mechanics/training to improve your throw.

Last edited:
Unlike wider-winged sharp nosed drivers, midrange discs and putters have a good deal of wind resistance due to a large cross-sectional profile as they cut through the air. As a result, to throw them for significant distance, you must learn to master the concepts of manipulating nose angle- specifically, throwing true nose down- and imparting significant spin to the disc, so it holds its flight shape in the air longer without precessing left(RHBH) early on, thus diving to the ground and preventing a full and longer flight.

In addition, spending time working on throwing putters far is a great way to reveal the existence of off-axis torque(commonly abbreviated as OAT) in your throw. It shows up as initial wobble/flutter, or dramatic turnover in the initial portion of the flight, and is often much more dramatically noticeable when throwing a full-power putter shot than in throwing drivers. If you work to minimize this initial flutter/torque turnover, you're improving how your wrist/forearm angles line up with your rotational motion when you pull through the hit. Suffice it to say that OAT robs both distance and accuracy significantly.

Both of these areas are masked by faster, wide-rimmed drivers - e.g. you can throw a Wraith 300' with awful off-axis torque and nose up, because it has less wind resistance and will fly more quickly through the air relative to initial velocity, in addition to being more resistant to OAT due to the rotational properties of having a wider, sharper wing(I won't go any deeper into the physics at this point :) )

Improving your ability to control nose angle, spin, and a smooth OAT-less pull will then significantly improve the distance you're able to throw drivers, not just mids/putters.

There's a lot more at discgolfreview.com, which is the best knowledge base I know of for throw mechanics/training to improve your throw.
I agree with half of that.

Fast discs do mask OAT really well and throwing with slower discs will force you to throw cleanly to get good results, however, slow discs are also much less nose angle sensitive, so they'll still fly well without requireing as much nose down attitude as faster drivers. So, throwing mids and putters will help you clean up your throw, but won't necessarily teach you to throw nose down.

That's why I normally suggest certain slower drivers as well as putters and mids. Discs like the Polaris LS and Cheetah are still farily understable yet require a nose down flight to fly well. Once you get to throwing them 320' or so then stepping up in stability to something that you can put 100% into without it getting squirrley will be good to have. These discs require nose down to get out to 350'+. You can also start experimenting with some faster (~speed 9 and 10) discs to help work on getting the nose down.

The thing is that if your putters and mids ever stop flying well (assuming you've chosen good ones) then you know you've messed something up. Being able to drive with them is key.

Fast discs do mask OAT really well and throwing with slower discs will force you to throw cleanly to get good results, however, slow discs are also much less nose angle sensitive, so they'll still fly well without requireing as much nose down attitude as faster drivers. So, throwing mids and putters will help you clean up your throw, but won't necessarily teach you to throw nose down.

Very true- the thinner the wing, the lower the sensitivity to nose angle. I guess what I was getting at was that a player throwing their drivers 300' but mids 200' probably has nose angle issues, but you're correct that using a slower driver(or even a Predator, as Brad suggests in his Nose Down Catch Drill) is a better way to work on nose down.

Sometimes i throw quite stable discs(Teerex,Teebird) but in lower weights around 150-170 and they are so fun to throw with because they start to turn over when i think they will fade to the ground.take an overstable disc and get it in a lighter weight to remove the stability so it keeps it´s speed and gains glide and understability.For example if you want a straight flyer just get a Teerex in 166g or less , instead of getting a full weight straight flying driver which you don´t like very much.

This summer i will do something fun and try to find a midrange that i should be able to throw 395 feet.(ca.120 meter)((((I am not kidding, I will do it,And I will succeed)))) Trying to master the furthest throws possible with putters and mids before stepping up to the drivers.
Midranges i will try first will probably be Champion Panther 164g,Z-Comet 170g,ESP BUZZZ 176g and after that i have to find new ones to try.I brobably have to buy more mids coz i don´t have so many of them.

This summer i will do something fun and try to find a midrange that i should be able to throw 395 feet.(ca.120 meter)((((I am not kidding, I will do it,And I will succeed)))) Trying to master the furthest throws possible with putters and mids before stepping up to the drivers.
Midranges i will try first will probably be Champion Panther 164g,Z-Comet 170g,ESP BUZZZ 176g and after that i have to find new ones to try.I brobably have to buy more mids coz i don´t have so many of them.

The Panther and Comet will be able to fly that far but it will take a lot of effort to not flip them over too early. The Buzzz should be fine though but the other two are a little understable at high speeds.