• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How does everyone score their game, is 3 standard for par?

jenrobinson

I've been wondering about this for a while. I've mostly only played with my husband and his family and friends that they started playing disc golf with about 10 years ago.

We always play whichever course we're on as all par 3's. A lot of the courses we go to have 4's or 5's listed on their printed scorecards, but we always ignore those.

I played in two tournaments at the same park, and it was declared that it was being played as par 3 on all holes. The second tournament, the scorecard did not reflect this and it caused an issue with scoring.

What's the norm elsewhere?

I usually go by par, and my home course happens to be all par 3's. But it's the total number of throws that really matter.

Par 3 also makes for easy scoring.

Calling it all "par 3s" is simply a math trick. All that is important is the total score.

For tournaments, par is meaningless except in the case of a player missing holes at the start of the round (since the penalty for missed holes is par plus four throws). Otherwise, score is reported as the number of throws+penalties made on each hole. Really doesn't matter whether any given hole is birdied, parred, bogied or otherwise.

I write down the number of throws it takes me to complete the hole. I do that for every hole and at the end of the round I add those numbers up. And that is my score.

Ah, that makes sense. I kept asking my husband and brother in law about it, and they didn't quite explain it from that point of view.

The problem at the tournament was that some people were using the "par" total at the top of the card and adding/subtracting according to that. That is why I asked the question. Some were doing that rather than counting 3 + 4 + 2, etc. They were counting 0 + 1, -1 then using that total to add to the "par" total on the card, which was really a few higher due to some being par 4's.

I guess I am making more complicated than it really is, I tend do that.

Ah, that makes sense. I kept asking my husband and brother in law about it, and they didn't quite explain it from that point of view.

The problem at the tournament was that some people were using the "par" total at the top of the card and adding/subtracting according to that. That is why I asked the question. Some were doing that rather than counting 3 + 4 + 2, etc. They were counting 0 + 1, -1 then using that total to add to the "par" total on the card, which was really a few higher due to some being par 4's.

I guess I am making more complicated than it really is, I tend do that.

If they were doing the bolded in relation to the par on the card, shouldn't the total come out the same as just adding everything up? Or did they do +/- relative to 3, then added it to the card's total par which obviously was not 27 or 54?

Either way, it seems like any math errors were operator errors that would have happened no matter what the scorecard said regarding par.

I play what the sign posted says....If it says par 4....it's a par 4....especially in a tourney...there were legit par 4's....I got a 3 on one of them, thats a birdie

"Golf. the number of strokes set as a standard for a specific hole or a complete course."

From Dictionary.com. This is why I don't like counting all holes as par 3's. Some holes, a 3 is definitely not standard. If a 4 is standard for a particular hole, that's what the par should be set to. And if any course is good enough to have tournaments, they should have relatively correct par listings.

Me and my friends usually use 'par' when playing casual rounds just because its easier to track when there isn't anybody keeping a scorecard.

Tournament play... number of strokes is the end-all-be-all.

Counting +/- using 3s and par are two different concepts that unfortunately get mixed up a lot. I use the counting trick of adding or subtracting based on 3 for every hole, but that's totally separate from how I look at each hole. If I come up on a par 4 hole and I get a 4, then I feel like I scored a par not a bogie, at the same time I score it as a +1 in my head if I'm keeping score mentally.

We don't put actual hole pars on scorecards in tournaments because players can't seem to add properly when there are pars other than 3.

I've always done it, and never known it to cause a problem. I figure I've got to do it somewhere---for the missed-hole penalty---and the scorecard is as good a place as any.

Any number of holes other than 18 seems to wreak havoc, but the pars, haven't so far. For me.

At any rate, I always add the numbers---when checking my card while playing, or checking cards while TDing. A little slower, but I'm more confident doing it that way.

I use an app on my phone that I can save course pars in (most courses are already in the app) and then I just track my score. Nothing difficult.

Counting +/- using 3s and par are two different concepts that unfortunately get mixed up a lot. I use the counting trick of adding or subtracting based on 3 for every hole, but that's totally separate from how I look at each hole. If I come up on a par 4 hole and I get a 4, then I feel like I scored a par not a bogie, at the same time I score it as a +1 in my head if I'm keeping score mentally.

:clap:

... i wonder if the people who think par has no place in disc golf find the green and red numbers useful when looking at the live scoring ...

I use an app on my phone that I can save course pars in (most courses are already in the app) and then I just track my score. Nothing difficult.
In the end total score is what matters. Par is just a nice way to know how you're shooting compared to the course designer's belief on how you should shoot.

uDisc makes things so easy. I always ask how many throws people had. If than answer with "birdie", "one over" or any other non numerical response I always follow up with the question "so, 4?". People adapt fairly quickly and start giving me numbers.