• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many courses since 1975?

Matthew boals

Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
I found a 2002 pdga course directory, the third page has a chart that shows how the sport grew.

1975-3, '76-7, '77-13, '78-27, '79-38, '80-68, '81-82, '82-100, '83-107, '84-118, '85-132, '86-152, '87-163, '88-185, '89-205, '90-223, '91-240, '92-271, '93-304, '94-340, '95-408, '96-484, '97-563, '98-680, '99-792,2001-887, '01-1002.

I would like to know if the dga has a list of the 1st,2nd,3rd so on of the courses. I've been told/heard that Honeybear in Peru, Indiana was the second permanent course installed, still there, in 1978.

Last edited by a moderator:
there is a list somewhere but the first was in california('76?)..i know of 2 on the east coast installed in '78 or earlier. sedgley woods in philly and bayville in virginia beach.

hey there roc, getting a lot of work done for disc golf here, new courses going in and such. i checked in from time to time, but got bored with people trashing me like i couldn't read the posts. sad that some people have nothing better to do than talk smack about someone when they aren't around.

80 glad your back and I was an aforementioned trasher but honestly do miss your insight no matter how gruff your tone can be! Hope u stick around.

Oak Grove Disc Golf Course in Hahamongna Park in Pasadena, CA was the first permanent course with pole holes. I have heard La Mirada Regional Park (La Mirada, CA) Sedgley Woods in Philly and now Honeybear in Peru, IN sited as the second course. I'm not sure which is true.

I'm not sure there was a great paper trail left to settle these things. I know I asked Ed Headrick about a "dispute" between White Birch in St. Louis and Oak Grove in Springfield where both had "Missouri's first course" in the advertising. Ed designed both courses, but he didn't remember which came first and didn't have anything written down. He ended up pulling receipts and knew who paid for their baskets first, but other than that there was really nothing to settle the issue. I think they both still claim to be Missouri's first.

Honeybear course

When I first played Honeybear,1997? The then current owners,who are the owners and currently operate the campground today. When they purchased the park they were told the course was installed in 1976 or 77. If they did not purchase the park the owner was going to sell the baskets,because it was bring in "the potheads". The pdga site has it listed as installed in 1978. Most of the baskets are the Mach 1,they have been retro-fitted with an inner set of chains. Still a great course and only $2.00 all day play! With a hellva pro shop. Check out indydiscgolf.com and the "Indiana hall of fame" for some disc golf legends. 30 years of running tourneys and leagues at honeybear and designers of dozens? of courses, permanent and temp.

I added some of the information here to the history records I already had. I also searched the course directory by the early years courses were installed and updated my list of the earliest courses. You can find my records of the earliest courses at "Oldest Courses".

DISClaimer: In the early years records will not very well kept, so it's hard to find solid evidence for claims about the first courses. There are many legends and retold stories that "such and such" course was one of the earliest courses. I went by the dates in the DGCR course directory, but even those may be in error. I'm not defending the accuracy of the information I have, so if you can prove that it's not correct feel free to do to. I welcome corrections that can be verified.

I also uploaded the file with more historical information about discs, players, etc. to the Files section of DG Resources. In addition, I added several other files there about the history of the frisbee and disc golf.

Thanks to those providing information, especially the original post. I started in 1995 and knew there'd been lots of growth since, but I didn't realize there were only 408 courses at the time! Then again, we did use to drive a long way to play any other course than our home course.....

Oak grove was first, and huntington beach was the second permanent course installed.
Can you verify this with any outside evidence other than hearsay?
Dave Dunipace of Innova says that #2 was La Mirada.
If HB was #2 then in the DGCR directory why is the year established listed as 1977? Is that in error? Should it be 1976?

I added some of the information here to the history records I already had. I also searched the course directory by the early years courses were installed and updated my list of the earliest courses. You can find my records of the earliest courses at "Oldest Courses".

DISClaimer: In the early years records will not very well kept, so it's hard to find solid evidence for claims about the first courses. There are many legends and retold stories that "such and such" course was one of the earliest courses. I went by the dates in the DGCR course directory, but even those may be in error. I'm not defending the accuracy of the information I have, so if you can prove that it's not correct feel free to do to. I welcome corrections that can be verified.

I also uploaded the file with more historical information about discs, players, etc. to the Files section of DG Resources. In addition, I added several other files there about the history of the frisbee and disc golf.

more great insight as always. thanks for the great info.

ive heard a lot of people say their course was the second or third one installed over the years, all over the usa. steady ed, god bless him, was a great salesman as well as a great disc golfer!

That's the problem now. This stuff wasn't written down and every old timer at each of the courses on that list has "heard" that HIS course was the 2nd or 3rd in the country. I had all sorts of people tell me that White Birch was one of the first ten courses when a quick flip through the course directory easily would come up with more than ten pre-1979 courses. It's all hearsay.

FWIW, Ed told me when he pulled the receipts that Hazelwood paid for its baskets six or seven weeks before Springfield, so as far as he was concerned White Birch was Missouri's first course. Of course I can't prove that I ever talked to Ed, much less that we had that particular conversation.

Well, it's been a few years since I've played Honeybear. So I headed up and played two rounds. I tracked down the owner. He purchased the place in 1991. He was told then,by the Org. owner, that the course was installed in the spring/summer of 1976. It was the third Perm. course in that Ed sold. Like it was posted before there is not paper trail and really no way of find out the truth. I believe this info. because of the layout of the course and the baskets are Mach 1. Of course the it does help,somewhat,that the current owner has first hand knowledge of the courses history. Just say'n.

We had a tournament this weekend at our course in Marion, IN and Allen Pier was there as well as another grand master. I started talking to the other guy and he told me that Honeybear was designed by ed and it was the 5th course in the world. I believe he told me that it was in '78. He told me that within 3 or 4 years Peru, IN had Honeybear, then Maconaquah, then Mississinewa, and then Allen Pier put in Pieradise. I must say that it is AWESOME to live 25 minutes from 4 of the very first hundred or so courses in the world. I will ask Mr. Pier this week when I make it out there if he can give me some more information on this subject.

A real "good old days" thread should include talk about made up courses with trees and fire hydrants as targets. Nowadays they have special disc golf reserves where they send you if they see you playing just anywhere.