• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How Much Can TD's Take of the Total purse Now-a-Days...???

Mr.Scary

Par Member
Back when I started, some one said a TD was entitled to 10% of all the entires/sponsorships but most put all of it back into the purse because they were trying to have the best payouts around.

Was that true?

Is it true today?

Is it true from the World's to a C Tier???

I can't find it in the Rules.

TIA

Last edited:
as long as they meet the minimum payout's (pg 3), they can keep whatever they want

Depends on the tier of your event. C-tiers are required to pay out a minimum of 85% and B-tiers on up are at least 100% if not higher. The way most TD's make money is off of Merch sales and am payout. It is not that much money, for the amount of work that it takes to put on a well run event. All of those discs, minis, towels, and other merchandise all cost money upfront.

I'm not saying that some guys don't run shady events, but for the most part it is not something TD's get rich off of.

The Tour Standards doc indicates the max amount TDs may keep from the entry fees for each tier if they meet the payout guidelines. Merch sales and commissions from raising sponsorship are not capped by those numbers.

The Tour Standards doc indicates the max amount TDs may keep from the entry fees for each tier if they meet the payout guidelines. Merch sales and commissions from raising sponsorship are not capped by those numbers.

Is that the "mgmt fee"?

NT $750
A $400
B $200
C $100

Yep. It's not called a TD Fee because some events are run by clubs and the fee can also be shared among those who helped.

Yep. It's not called a TD Fee because some events are run by clubs and the fee can also be shared among those who helped.

Maybe some people do that, but most of that money goes to buying stuff to prep the course, water, ice, and other misc things for the event.

I know people do that but those items are legit tournament expense deductions separate from the management fee if the payouts are met.

What is the payout % a percentage of? Gross Fee or Net Fee. If it is a net fee, what is allowed to be netted (sanctioning fee, insurance fee, water, ice, players packages, etc...).

I lose money when I run tournaments. So much time and preparation is involved. If it was easy everyone would be doing it.

What is the payout % a percentage of? Gross Fee or Net Fee. If it is a net fee, what is allowed to be netted (sanctioning fee, insurance fee, water, ice, players packages, etc...).
Download the TD report to see the calculations: http://www.pdga.com/documents/td-report

Payout is based on net entry fee after PDGA fee and possible other fees like greens/park fee, lunch, series fee, credit card, course development, charitable contrib are deducted from gross entry fee. Player packs and expenses like water, ice, printing do not reduce the net but player pack value is part of am payout but not pro payout.

Net.

Can't answer the rest with authority. We deduct per-player fees (PDGA, local points series) and greens fees, and players packages, but not fixed costs. I'm sure we can deduct the sanctioning & insurance, but I'm not sure how to proportion it, so we don't. At one time you couldn't deduct meals (if provided), but I'm not sure that's true any more.

EDIT I was slow typing, Chuck beat me to it with more authoritative information. Again.

This shouldn't be that difficult to figure out if you look at the people that put on tons of tournaments. DD is the only example you need. They make a **** load of $$$ just rolling in and providing tons of discs/merch to buy, which makes them a bigger house hold name, which makes it easier to put on tournaments and round and round and round and round. So...unless you have lots of product to push, Money isn't the reason for putting on tournaments.

Its super easy for TD's to skim by opening "stores" on their own, charging 14 bucks for DX, and only paying out funny money to their own "store". Ams make shady people money. You can also fudge the numbers on lunches and other BS like that. Player packs may cost one thing, but the TD may have paid something different all together. Not saying this stuff happens all the time, but it happens. Well, it does happen all the time, like every Tuesday in the Twin Cities...

When I run a tournament, I keep very good records that track every cent spent and brought in. I keep receipts for everything. I even keep tally of all the 'donated' CTP prizes that other donate to my events. No one has ever questioned one of my events that I'm aware of.

I've not taken a fee for running an event but I wouldn't feel bad or guilty for taking a fee.

I think TDs should always take the fee but not feel they need to keep it. If the TD doesn't feel like keeping any or all of the fee they qualify for, they should donate it to the course fund. Players need to get a more realistic view of professional tournament finances so that the opportunity is there for more people to become TDs, especially Park Depts, and continue to raise the bar for events.

In C-tiers, you only have to pay 85% in Pro payout and with Ams, the cost of prizes can range from 50-80% of the retail depending on the items and the deals you cut. That should be enough differential to carve out the $100 mgmt fee and pay for expenses like printing, sanctioning, etc. There's a financial page in the TD report that helps line up the numbers.

So...

What if they aren't meeting Payout Guidelines...???

Do Countries outside of N.America not have these standards or...???
I'm in England and I'm wondering why players from Europe don't come to any our tourneys cept the British Open? Is it because of our craptastic payouts? Meaning pretty much just trophies even for the Open...???

It seems to be an issue that comes up once a year and the players get told to not question some one who volunteers their time to run a tourney but when 40 people show up and pay 20 quid each and just the Top 3 in 3 divisions get a trophy of some sort then questions are gonna be asked. Like the obvious where is our 800 quid going?

I've asked to see TD's crib sheets etc and while my 'home' course TD has promised me one(and I'm sure I will get it, he's a good egg.) others balk at it repeatedly.

Thanks for all these answers and the link, very, very, very helpful.

:cheers: