• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to deal with the cold?

Parks said:
Whether you do sheet metal screws or chains or whatever, stay off the teepad unless it's absolutely covered by packed snow or ice. Metal will shred rubber teepads and can damage concrete ones.

Logically we know screws create more friction and therefore faster wear of teepads than boots without screws. In practicality I have yet to see it. My home course of Kensington has cement pads and after years of very active use of screws by many players the pads show no signs of surface damage. But assume for a moment that a cement pad will wear out faster exposed to screws, which is probably true.

Screws make the game safer for the players. I know this from personal experience because without screws I face planted regularly and with them it is a rare event. I think you will find agreement on this from other golfers who use screws. The health of golfers is worth the minor wear and tear involved. Many players do physical work for a living and if one blows out a back or rips a hamstring slipping on ice he may lose his ability to pay his bills and feed his family. I don't do physical labor for a living but I still value my health and will try to do whatever it takes to protect it.

Cars have brakes. Brakes are expensive and wear out. The safety that brakes give justifies the expense. Otherwise we would all drive Flintstonemobiles. :D There are many safety features in the products we buy. If safety features add to the cost so be it.

The most prominent cause of damage to teepads I have noticed is due to erosion below the pads which caused cracking. If screws made the surface more uneven it might make them more grippy and safer. Some pads I have encountered were too slippery, even dry. When some pads are installed the surface is brushed to make it less slippery. Those that were not brushed are more dangerous, especially in wet or snowy conditions.

What do you fellers mean with all this screw talk. are your putting screws through the insole to push out the bottom of the sole? Down here in NC we don't get a lot of snow (in most parts) and when we do get snow everything shuts down because we don't know what to do. But usually everything ices over after that and driving on a near friction-less surface is dangerous.

What is the official rule about teeing off during wet/icy conditions?

iacas said:
Mark Ellis said:
Ball golf is a prissy, pampered sport. Disc golf is not.
Oh brother. And disc golf is filled with cussing pot-smoking unemployed hippies. :p I've played golf in some pretty nasty conditions, and you can head over to Scotland and find thousands who relish playing in some pretty nasty crap. Golf has "ice bowls" too - we have one on Presque Isle every year, right on the lake. You don't need to put down disc golf's namesake/inspiration in order to make your point. It's tasteless.

Now, I suspect you meant what you said as much as I meant what I said. I'm a golf instructor so I don't get a lot of time to play golf. When I do, I like to enjoy it more than I do when I'm playing in sideways falling hail and rain, though I have played in those conditions recently (in Scotland, no less). :p I just think putting golf and golfers down is a silly tactic when you're talking about disc golf. You know disc golf's reputation and the stereotypes.

Mark Ellis said:
Fair weather golfers fail to learn how to deal with conditions. So what happens when that fair weather golfer plays in a tournament and the weather turns nasty (which can happen in any season)? Do they just quit?
Perhaps. Perhaps they soldier on. Perhaps they say "I'd rather be inside with my family playing a board game or talking or cooking a meal or building something in the wood shop" or something. Perhaps they don't care enough about disc golf to want to have to worry about frostbite or breaking a leg on some ice. Perhaps hockey takes up most of their free recreational time in the winter.

Now, back to the topic at hand. FWIW, my advice above about cold-weather gear comes from my snowboarding, hockey, winter photography, and hunting experience. Disc golf's fun, and I'll play some Tuesday in 40°, but that's about my limit. :) Under Armour, t-shirt, and a light jacket. :D

I don't hate ball golf or ball golfers. I played it rabidly for 5 years, enough to learn I was never going to straighten out my slice (25 years of an ingrained baseball swing) and enough to appreciate the immense talent it takes to control the damn little white ball. Ok, I did hate it a little. :lol: I played long enough to be able to not hold up a group of adept players and not totally embarrass myself on a good course.

There will never be perfect mutual respect between the sports. Overall I gotta believe we Frizzzbee Golfers have more respect for Ball Golf than visa versa. Yes we are hippies. I am not ashamed of that. And Ball Golf is a country club sport seldom played in inclement weather. This is not to insult iacas or anyone else who swings sticks. More power to him/them.

Pull up to the manicured driveway of the exclusive, members-only Country Club where members are judged by their bank account more than their handicap. :D An employee runs out to take your clubs out of the trunk and install them in a shiny electric golf cart. I could continue with this story but we all know where it is going and would only be viewed as an insult, not the playful jest I intend.

Disc golf is the poor, disfavored stepchild of ball golf. But we don't have to like it. 8)

Mark Ellis said:
Pull up to the manicured driveway of the exclusive, members-only Country Club where members are judged by their bank account more than their handicap. :D An employee runs out to take your clubs out of the trunk and install them in a shiny electric golf cart. I could continue with this story but we all know where it is going and would only be viewed as an insult, not the playful jest I intend.
I guess you left the game awhile ago, because golf has become (fortunately) a whole lot more blue collar than your tales of Champagne Wishes and Caviar Dreams would indicate. I don't have the stats off-hand but a LOT of people play on municipal courses. The markets are still far apart (and hey, I'm glad for it - Lexus is more likely to buy web advertising on thesandtrap.com than, I don't know, Wal-Mart), but they've grown closer and closer. Disc golf is moving up, golf is becoming more affordable and less stuffy.

I still have better things to do in the winter than throw plastic in the snow, though. :D

keltik said:
What do you fellers mean with all this screw talk. are your putting screws through the insole to push out the bottom of the sole? Down here in NC we don't get a lot of snow (in most parts) and when we do get snow everything shuts down because we don't know what to do. But usually everything ices over after that and driving on a near friction-less surface is dangerous.

What is the official rule about teeing off during wet/icy conditions?

Screws are installed into the bottom of the soles. The sharp, pointy end goes in first, in the direction of your foot. The pointy end does not come in contact with your foot because it a half inch screw and the sole is wider than a half inch. The top of the screw is raised and flat. The top of the screw comes in contact with the surface ( ground or teepad) and provides the friction which minimizes slipping.

Unless the TD grants special relief you tee from the teepad or wherever your lie is. Slipping out is your problem. Often teepads get swept or salted. Often they do not. Some players will drop a towel onto the teepad and use it for additional traction.

Around these parts snow boots, merino wool base layer(s), thinsulate gloves and a flask of brandy works great to keep the winter chill at bay while playing dg in the winter time. As for slipping and sliding, that is all part of the fun. Nothing like making fun of your friends or yourself when you slip and fall on your ass.

For those more curious about the screw-boot thing here is a picture I found:

P7Doo.jpg

Here's a question: do your discs fly as far when it's cold as when it is warm?

Monkeypaws said:
Here's a question: do your discs fly as far when it's cold as when it is warm?

No. But it probably has more to do with the fact that I'm wearing a bunch of layers, my grip isn't as good, and I can't loosen up as much. So I'm really just not throwing as hard. I don't think the temperature does much to affect the flight of the disc itself. Technically the air is denser but I don't know if it's enough to make a difference.

Chuck Kennedy wrote IIRC his words that the cold air reduces 5 % distance in the winter vs the summer. Cold also slows down and reduces muscles and muscle power.

mikes919 said:
Technically the air is denser but I don't know if it's enough to make a difference.

Air density can go both ways. More dense = more drag = less speed. More drag also = more lift = more glide.

kern9787 said:
mikes919 said:
Technically the air is denser but I don't know if it's enough to make a difference.

Air density can go both ways. More dense = more drag = less speed. More drag also = more lift = more glide.

Right. But reducing speed decreases the lift much more than the change in air density increases it. Another way to think about it would be, what good is lift if the disc slows down earlier and LSS takes over. You'll slow down and hyzer out sooner, even if the disc floats in the air better at a given speed.

I just know as a former baseball player that certain conditions, especially warm breezy dry air,leads to more distance for baseballs than cold and damp. The dynamics are quite different though.

There is a way around not being able to drink warm liquid from a thermos during a round. Getting a good enough thermos means that you don't have to put boiling water in it to have it stay warm for the event. Coffee machines limit the temperature of the water. That is still gonna feel bad but nothing prevents you from allowing the water to cool to suitable temperature before pouring it into the thermos.

I played against one guy last Saturday because nobody else showed up to the league because it was the first competition of this season on that course and people were unsure of others were coming. Needless to say the pace of playing was much faster than normal and i still managed to sip a cup of straight from the coffee machine too hot water during that round. Normally it is a two round event but we decided that one round was enough.

Monkeypaws said:
I just know as a former baseball player that certain conditions, especially warm breezy dry air,leads to more distance for baseballs than cold and damp. The dynamics are quite different though.
Humid air is actually less dense than dry air.

And note that I'm talking about humidity - not water as a liquid, like fog or something.

iacas said:
Monkeypaws said:

And note that I'm talking about humidity - not water as a liquid, like fog or something.

Right, Generally warmer temps will have more humidity. Warmer air can hold more moisture. Water vapor is lighter then air. So in general warmer air a disc will travel further due to the less density of the air. Colder air is usually denser. Play ball golf in 95 degrees and humid, then go in 40 degrees and dry. A big difference.

AcesAZ said:
iacas said:
Monkeypaws said:

Right, Generally warmer temps will have more humidity. Warmer air can hold more moisture. Water vapor is lighter then air. So in general warmer air a disc will travel further due to the less density of the air. Colder air is usually denser. Play ball golf in 95 degrees and humid, then go in 40 degrees and dry. A big difference.

I notice the biggest difference when the temps drop down to the 30's and below. I offer absolutely NO scientific explanation for this, merely personal experience.

Latest posts