• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to deal with the cold?

south.texas.dead.i said:
allsport1313 said:
You must be up in the pan handle or something :) The weather in the Texas I live in is only now starting to become enjoyable. I'll take 70 degrees over 100+ any day.
Tru that! Lol I have never played in under 70 degrees here and am still playing to this days in shorts and Tshirt

Try that in over a foot of snow, plenty of wind and snow falling which is what we have here grr.

Weirdness. Four hours plus in the weekly. This was the first time that i used an undershirt that is designed to cool you down. In 34F no less. The shirt is very well vented in the fabric that also transports moisture super fast away from the skin overall but especially around the heart and the lungs on both sides. I've never been as warm in the winter having used Merino wool shirts solid or webbed. Sleeveless or with sleeves. The recipe this time was a Merino wool vest over the long sleeved technical plastic based cooling shirt and a Merino wool web shirt on top of both and a jacket. Lots of ventilation and convection in those lower layers and the downhill skiing jacket breathed almost enough to keep my dry. I was moist most of the time and during rain only was i a little wet. Nice. OTOH i've lost 7 kilos of weight this year and am more fit so sweating might occur later and in lesser amounts too.

Trousers might have an impact too. Again cooling long johns with Merino wool long johns on top and very well breathing Gore Tex hunting pants. No sweating down below.

I bought the cooling shirt and the jacket from Lidl and it is their brand so it is not universally available but i talked to a sports store clerk earlier and at least Underarmor has cooling technical clothing. Nike Pro too. I recommend cooling super breathing and wicking fabric against the skin for winter when you wade in the snow. Wading is such hard work that it will make you sweat easily and that makes you colder than not having a lot of stuff on you.

You might think that having so many layers of clothing made me cumbersome in moves. It did not much to my surprise. The layers are pretty thin and using a thin golf Merino wool vest did nothing to impair the arm movements. No sleeves and large arm openings led to no friction for the arms. The webbed shirt also feels like it adds no friction to the movements and not just in the arms but everywhere. So i felt more like i had a t shirt and a jacket on. More like early fall than winter in a warm spell. The jacket is thin and the trousers are fairly thin but very pliable so i lost no mobility that i noticed.

Of course my scores did not show how well the gear functioned :evil: