• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to deal with the cold?

I've noticed that once it's below zero, you really have to consider this when planning your shots. I tend to disc up a bit in the really cold temps.

Played several rounds the past 2 days in 32-33 degree weather. Wore a hoodie with a long sleeve shirt underneath and jeans and was just fine. Also, kept a hand warmer thing that you shake a half hour before you get to the course in the pocket of the hoodie and blew on my hands a lot to keep them warm because I've always had bad circulation to my extremities. The guy I was playing with a wore a glove only on his non-throwing hand and didn't use a warmer. On the windier day we played the more wooded course. Had a fine time.

The only mystery is how to grip Star plastic in cold weather (based on past experience- I don't currently carry Star)....

So we went out today and it was 35 out and we noticed about a 40' drop off in distance. My average is about 400' so we got a few out to that but mostly everything was at 350-360

Just my observation... And the discs seem more over stable...

I've lived in polar bear's rear all my life so i can't tell if it's an acclimatization thing and don't know how well you deal with the cold. I don't lose 50' in the cold weather as long as there is traction. So that leads me to believe clothing could be a factor. Too much or the wrong construction and materials plus thickness will have mechanical resistance and being too cold will sap power and slow down the muscles.

Traction, extra layers, less loose muscles, denser air, gloves: all sound like reasons to explain my loss of distance last weekend playing in the snow.

I set up my portable basket in my Garage while it was snowing today. It's not "playing disc golf" but it was good for working on my putting during the "off season"

I bought 400 grams per square meter weighing Merino wool long underpants yesterday. They are made by Woolpower and they feel like they can help.

Push ups are my favorite way to get blood and warmth back into my hands on a cold day. Hand warmers help me sustain warmth but blood needs to get there somehow.

pask2155 said:
Are discs more over stable in the cold?

If your arm speed and snap are lessened by the conditions (poor footing gives less traction or fear of falling, too many layers restrict your movement, etc.) then a disc will fly with greater overstability ( ie...hyzer out sooner and harder).

My experience tells me that cold air restricts glide as well (aside from reduced arm speed and snap) and any disc going slower will also act more overstable.

The biggest difference I notice in cold weather is my discs don't fly as far so I throw faster discs (Nukes) to compensate.

Discs initially fly more understable at colder temps and finish more stable as they slow down. If your flight path is a shallow S in warm weather, it will still be an S shape if thrown the same way in colder weather but the S will be more exaggerated left and right and shorter distance.

Chuck Kennedy said:
Discs initially fly more understable at colder temps and finish more stable as they slow down. If your flight path is a shallow S in warm weather, it will still be an S shape if thrown the same way in colder weather but the S will be more exaggerated left and right and shorter distance.

So winter makes discs more squirelly? I just thought that discs hyzered more because they were flying slower. Is this some type of air pressure thing?

Is there any chance you could explain why this is true in simple enough terms that we non-scientists might understand?

Just think of it as "thicker" air to fly thru when it's cold. The greater air resistance initially turns the disc out of your hand similar to throwing into a headwind. The greater friction slows the disc down faster so it becomes more stable and doesn't fly as far.

Chuck Kennedy said:
Just think of it as "thicker" air to fly thru when it's cold. The greater air resistance initially turns the disc out of your hand similar to throwing into a headwind. The greater friction slows the disc down faster so it becomes more stable and doesn't fly as far.

Wow! That is the best scientific explanation I have ever read on this site.

I have been told that no matter how complex the theory it can be broken down into simple components which themselves have simple and clear explanations. Maybe it is true after all.

Like i have whiskers and beard which are weighed down by icicles (each time really!) so it's throwing like i have a ball and chain type of science boiling down to basics :-D

Sometimes it is very easy to explain things in a short concise manner. Great for a lawyer and text based artists and those that need to communicate. No wonder in many scientific fields there are formulas. It is difficult to type something complex out in a shorter manner than say F=MA. What that boils down to in a disc golf throw is very different animal. Either you demonstrate it by going through the motions slowly to show how you do it and then throw in different ways to illustrate the difference between different acceleration makes the disc fly differently or type a wall of text that will not make sense to someone or be too much for the attention span of some.

allsport1313 said:
You must be up in the pan handle or something :) The weather in the Texas I live in is only now starting to become enjoyable. I'll take 70 degrees over 100+ any day.
Tru that! Lol I have never played in under 70 degrees here and am still playing to this days in shorts and Tshirt

After about six weeks. I'm working on six months. I'm waiting until Easter to shave but my little boy may snatch it all out before then.

Latest posts