• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How To Make It In America (In A Sport That Gets No Love)

Year. A bunch of people play darts in the UK and some of them watch it on tv when it is broadcast. That is why darts has been able to get sponsors.

Yup, March last year to March this year. Crazy huh? Not much more watchable than disc golf.

I don't believe disc golf will ever get close to that. I know a lot of people that have been around as long a I have who feel the same.

As long as the Sport continues to grow no question it will get there. Where it stops nobody really knows. I think the top Pro making 1 million a year eventually is possible.

As long as the Sport continues to grow no question it will get there. Where it stops nobody really knows. I think the top Pro making 1 million a year eventually is possible.

Why does that have to be a condition of accomplishment? Look at softball; hugely popular, Olympic sport, can be played well into the later years of life, great stadiums/complexes, even have travelling teams and a professional league (for women).

Success, in a game, should not be dictated by how much a pro can make in a year by playing it.

I don't believe disc golf will ever get close to that. I know a lot of people that have been around as long a I have who feel the same.

I would have to agree. The first modern dart board production dates back to 1896 and the game is firmly entrenched in the culture of most of Europe. The restrictions on game setup in regards to money, space and ease are small in comparision. Darts will thrive as long as pubs and alcohol do. Disc golf has come along at a time where there is an explosion of niche sports to occupy the time of enthusiasts. I have always been satisfied to see the sport gain popularity, never been a fan of looking to morph the sport into something else. (ball golf in particular)

I believe the difference is whether or not the sport is a good spectator sport.

Well that would go to explain why ball golf is so much more popular than disc golf. Oh wait, no it wouldn't. The truth is more complicated than that.

Why does that have to be a condition of accomplishment? Look at softball; hugely popular, Olympic sport, can be played well into the later years of life, great stadiums/complexes, even have travelling teams and a professional league (for women).

Success, in a game, should not be dictated by how much a pro can make in a year by playing it.

How much softball is on TV though? Pros make money when the sport is on TV. TV expands the notoriety and gives it recognition to a much wider audience.

The people who want it widely accepted as a sport and not a bunch of pot smokers in the woods want the recognition and perceptions changed.

Isn't softball just a reason to get wasted? I think thats the perception of many including me.

How much softball is on TV though? Pros make money when the sport is on TV. TV expands the notoriety and gives it recognition to a much wider audience.

The people who want it widely accepted as a sport and not a bunch of pot smokers in the woods want the recognition and perceptions changed.

Isn't softball just a reason to get wasted? I think thats the perception of many including me.

Olympics, college softball, celebrity softball matches.

Softball is HUGE, who can deny that? Go to a Dicks and see how much floor space is dedicated to them, look at pure softball wholesale catalogs (inches thick).

If you think softball is just to get wasted, then you've been playing in the wrong leagues.

There's only two (that I know of) pro DGers who speak out against drug use in the game, and one doesn't even play DG professionally anymore.

How many years till a Disc Golf player can make $100,000? ;)

Also if it happens should that news be made public?

If you play as well as you did last year you might make $100,000 this year. Especially since you have more signature discs.

In prize money? Maybe another 25 years. But by then it will be worth the same $50,000 is worth today. :(

Olympics, college softball, celebrity softball matches.

Softball is HUGE, who can deny that? Go to a Dicks and see how much floor space is dedicated to them, look at pure softball wholesale catalogs (inches thick).

If you think softball is just to get wasted, then you've been playing in the wrong leagues.

There's only two (that I know of) pro DGers who speak out against drug use in the game, and one doesn't even play DG professionally anymore.

I don't play softball and never have if you don't count HS gym class. I know softball goes beyond that into competition but I also don't see it as a serious sport. They don't make much money and it's mainly to get wasted.

In prize money? Maybe another 25 years. But by then it will be worth the same $50,000 is worth today. :(

The big money is always made in endorsements. Like I said earlier Michael Jordan made 90 Million last year and he made zero playing basketball. Any money he made playing the game pales in comparison to the endorsements.

PDGA winnings will be public. But in the case of the Champ and now others, he made more for many years via sponsor agreements that wasn't public, especially when you consider PDGA winnings is not a net income. If you count winnings and not net, I'm thinking $100K may have already been hit when you total the full value (not just cash) of some sponsorships with winnings. That or those players can reveal it in their memoirs once retired in their 80s.

I don't play softball and never have if you don't count HS gym class. I know softball goes beyond that into competition but I also don't see it as a serious sport. They don't make much money and it's mainly to get wasted.

Softball is a very popular sport among teenage girls. I know that there are some adult softball beer leagues but most people who play the sport are teenage girls. Jennie Finch made a lot of money from endorsements. You shouldn't trash other sports, especially if you do not want other people trashing disc golf.

Latest posts