• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to spend $20?

I agree that the 150 class putter is probably hurting you. Becoming a great putter can minimize any distance inequities in competition and really make the game more enjoyable IMO.

I'd suggest a Gateway Soft Voodoo - people will say the Wizard but it's an overstable putter and may just frustrate you starting out.

If you wanted to go with a mid-range instead, you just can't go wrong with the Buzzz in a more durable plastic. All the plastic grades are good, so head to your local PIAS and see which one you like the feel of most before ordering it :)

Hope this helps, and grats on the free swag, that's awesome.

Thanks for all the help guys, I'm still having trouble deciding what I want, but it's definitely a bit easier now.

And, yeah, the reason i have the 150class Aviar/Leopard/Shark is because the very first thing I did was buy that Innova starter pack. Basically, I had intended on playing the game once or twice with some friends, and knowing absolutely nothing about the sport, I picked that up.

Once I realized I liked the game, I picked up a few random discs at Dick's, simply to see how it would go...

Now, it's a year later, and though I still suck, I really enjoy playing and I play as often as I can. I hope to gradually move into some better discs, though I'm glad I got a bunch of cheap discs, so I could figure out more of what I like and don't like.

I totally agree that I hate that 150g Aviar, it sucks pretty bad.

Im kind of between getting a wizard/voodoo putter (dunno which one?), a really nice buzzz (i have the low grade version), or an ESP/Elite Z Cyclone/XL/something to that effect

I kind of like my 150 aviar... but I just recently got a sss magic so the aviar has taken a backseat. The sss magic is the first gateway disc I have purchased and it is great. I say go with a magic/wizard/voodoo

Try some Lat 64 (I'd say a Vision based on your list and if you need another driver, otherwise go with a Core).

always a good choice with Buzzzzzzzz

buzz.jpg

Plus, with one exception, I've only ever owned Innova,

I have more control when throwing sidearm than backhand, but either way, I don't have great distance.

I currently own:
Discraft Pro D Buzzz 177g
Innova DX Archangel 150g
Innova DX Aviar 150g
Innova DX Beast 171g
Innova DX Birdie 172g
Innova DX Dragon 150g
Innova DX Leopard 150g
Innova DX Shark 150g
Innova DX Wraith

Any suggestions?

Dude it sounds like you are where I was at year 1. Stop buying DX, its a $hitty inferior plastic. if you stick with innova, they have the best variety, but start getting Champion (transparent) plastic. Heres why, you appear to be a forehand player, but u dont have your distance game up. Thats fine, keep your accuracy. Buy these 3 discs next, and you will prolly double your max distance, if you throw like me. The transparent types have a flex and a snap to them that outpreforms any other plastic for flick (forehand) throws as far as I'm concerned. IF YOU CANT SEE THROUGH IT, DONT FLICK IT!

Buy a Innova Champion Boss, somewhere near 160 to 170 grams. Flick to your heart's content. It is so ridiculously stable at high speed, all you need to do is aim it right and snap the finger in the rim.

Next, I would get a DGA (again, get the Transparent type) Rogue if the Boss does what I said it would. I'm just getting into DGA's line of discs, but the Rogue is insanely stable and runs 50 foot farther than the Boss on the regular, same throwing motions.

Your choice of Innova Champion Sidewinder, Discraft SP Stalker, Flick, or Nuke, or perhaps a Lat64 Opti-plastic Vision.

Screw all these people telling you to get a midrange or a putter dude, you sound like from your messages you are just getting into this, and you want the DISTANCE people around you are getting. Buy transparent, doesnt really matter what it is, and start flicking. You can find your own way from there for the distance shots. Then scale back to your staples you have now, and use them to get your accuracy shots.

Screw all these people telling you to get a midrange or a putter dude, you sound like from your messages you are just getting into this, and you want the DISTANCE people around you are getting. Buy transparent, doesnt really matter what it is, and start flicking. You can find your own way from there for the distance shots. Then scale back to your staples you have now, and use them to get your accuracy shots.

LOL.

"SCREW practicing layups and dunks Shaq, just start jacking up 3s from halfcourt, remember you can always go down in the paint later if you feel like it."

I nominate this for the worst advice I've seen given on this site.

Also...his $20 card is to a place that sells primarily Gateway and Discraft, with no Innova whatsoever. :doh:

Yeah,this advice sucks,seriously,the short game will save you a lot more than bombing a long drive,I'm also a noob,but even I have the ability to see the difference between sound advice & retardation.

Work on the short game,see what works best for you man,at the end of the day,advice is great,but it's about personal preference,lots of people use discs other people would never dream of touching,so it's all about the individual.

The distance will come over time,and with practice,get that putter going though,and you can turn a bad round into a good one.

Well, I bought a Wizard, and saved the rest of the money on the gift card. Then, after I make it to PIAS, I'll find a driver/midrange that I like and use the rest of it towards one in higher grade plastic.

Hope to have my wizard in my hands in a few days!

Dude it sounds like you are where I was at year 1. Stop buying DX, its a $hitty inferior plastic. if you stick with innova, they have the best variety, but start getting Champion (transparent) plastic. Heres why, you appear to be a forehand player, but u dont have your distance game up. Thats fine, keep your accuracy. Buy these 3 discs next, and you will prolly double your max distance, if you throw like me. The transparent types have a flex and a snap to them that outpreforms any other plastic for flick (forehand) throws as far as I'm concerned. IF YOU CANT SEE THROUGH IT, DONT FLICK IT!

Buy a Innova Champion Boss, somewhere near 160 to 170 grams. Flick to your heart's content. It is so ridiculously stable at high speed, all you need to do is aim it right and snap the finger in the rim.

Next, I would get a DGA (again, get the Transparent type) Rogue if the Boss does what I said it would. I'm just getting into DGA's line of discs, but the Rogue is insanely stable and runs 50 foot farther than the Boss on the regular, same throwing motions.

Your choice of Innova Champion Sidewinder, Discraft SP Stalker, Flick, or Nuke, or perhaps a Lat64 Opti-plastic Vision.

WakeandBakenstine said:

images