• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

i need to throw farther.

YallN1ggazPostinInATrollThread.jpg

Hi I'm a 20 year old guy from Iowa and I always here about the guys throwing drives 400+ feet. but I can't seem to get 300 feet the farthest I throw flat land is 300 with a leopard. My beast won't fly that far. What's wrong with me? I so the x step run up I pull my ARM back farther than almost everyone I know. I have a good snap why can't I throw far? Help me please.

I like to put it like this

100-200ft;(stand still) Some beginners use to hold the arm around the disc and use a short pull and don´t pull the disc straight. When doing so the disc will not get any speed and will drop faster to the ground because it has no balance and no air to get under the disc at slow speeds.(with only spin it won´t fly far)

200-300ft;(slow walk) On their way to progress they use a straighter pull so the disc will get a higher speed and more glide.

300-400ft;(quite fast x-step) They start working on the grip so the disc will get more spin so the disc will hold itself longer up in the air and fly faster.

400-500ft;(fast and controled x-step) They have figured the most things out and they are pulling the disc on a straighter line before release and they have gotten an almost perfect grip and they have a good weight transfer.

600-800+ft(quite fast runup and a very fast but very well controled 360 turnaround )They have figured out everything they need to know and gotten very good on throwing explosive throws and using all parts of the body to generate speed and power.

As others have said, probably more harshly than necessary, it's probably a good idea to rethink what you believe "perfect form" to be. Your best bet is to rethink your entire throw. There's a very good chance you are focusing on all the wrong stuff which will make throwing far extremely difficult to impossible.

The sticky in the Technique section has a lot of good resources. IMO, the most important ones off the bat will be the "Grip it to Rip it" article from DGR, the "Hammer Pound" and the "Dan Beto's Right Pec Drill" link. What I'd suggest is first making sure your grip is right. Then do the hammer pound drills to get the "feel" right. What that drill will do is teach you what the feel of actually launching the disc is like. Then you build your throw "from the hit back," which means you start with that feel of launching the disc and build your entire throw around that feel, adding little pieces one by one.

It sounds daunting but it really is the fastest and easiest way to improve. Many times people don't like to do it because it will probably screw up your throw pretty bad for a while. However, if you put the time and effort into doing it you'll be much better off a month or two in.

I guess you are not meant for disc golf, you should quit and give me your stuff...or you can realize your form is NOT nearly perfect, you can read Maxing out at 300 and watch YOUTUBE DISCRAFT VIDEO

Stop posting these stupid discraft vids. They only care about selling their discs. The "tips" they give are either terrible, wrong or plain obvious. And for every tip they give, they tell you at least 10 discs that you have to buy.

I started improving when I stopped watching these crap vids and started reading the DGR technique forums and practicing what they say.

Stop posting these stupid discraft vids. They only care about selling their discs. The "tips" they give are either terrible, wrong or plain obvious. And for every tip they give, they tell you at least 10 discs that you have to buy.

I started improving when I stopped watching these crap vids and started reading the DGR technique forums and practicing what they say.

Well aren't you just a technique animal:)

I would argue that discrafts beginner vid, hosted by scott papa, is the best beginner video available.
There are tons of folks doing the beato drills wrong.

You should also realize that dgr promotes one style of throw, it would be dumb for a manufacturer to do that.

I just wanted him to watch the drives to see form.

man, we all need to throw farther. dave wiggins jr throwin 700' probably thinks the same thing. its never ending......................

If your DGCR name is referring to your PDGA#, I'm assuming you're the disc golfer from Ottumwa, IA who placed 6th in the Recreation Division in the Fairfield Open. You're going to have to be at least a little honest about your 'perfect form' if anyone's going to take you seriously. :wall: If you want to improve, people here are happy to give plenty of advice. Otherwise, have fun in the Rec Division!

P.S. If you want to stay anonymous on a Disc Golf Forum you probably shouldn't use your PDGA number... :doh:

Hi I'm a 20 year old guy from Iowa and I always here about the guys throwing drives 400+ feet. but I can't seem to get 300 feet the farthest I throw flat land is 300 with a leopard. My beast won't fly that far. What's wrong with me? I so the x step run up I pull my ARM back farther than almost everyone I know. I have a good snap why can't I throw far? Help me please.

keep practicing

If your DGCR name is referring to your PDGA#, I'm assuming you're the disc golfer from Ottumwa, IA who placed 6th in the Recreation Division in the Fairfield Open. You're going to have to be at least a little honest about your 'perfect form' if anyone's going to take you seriously. :wall: If you want to improve, people here are happy to give plenty of advice. Otherwise, have fun in the Rec Division!

P.S. If you want to stay anonymous on a Disc Golf Forum you probably shouldn't use your PDGA number... :doh:

internet bitch slap

I would argue that discrafts beginner vid, hosted by scott papa, is the best beginner video available.
There are tons of folks doing the beato drills wrong.

You should also realize that dgr promotes one style of throw, it would be dumb for a manufacturer to do that.
I wouldn't go as far as to say they promote one style of throwing. When I first started on the DGR site I had a more Swede type of throw. They gave me tips on it as well. I personally chose to switch styles. There are many many, people with a Swede style throw that are very successful. I believe the style Blake teaches personally, is easier to learn. Plus, it's his variation on many different styles of form. There are also many sections there that covered several other people's variations of form as well.

I'll leave this right here....
2aaeruv.jpg

I liked what Avery Jenkins said in his online interview thing he did a couple months back. If you want to throw farther, you need to throw harder. You can have "perfect form" and be slow as balls and still only get out to 300 feet. Or you could be like that Katsch guy in his early videos and not look too great (no offense intended) and throw 600 because you rip the crap out of the disc.

Long story short, throw harder.

If you really are Aaron Palmer from Ottumwa then I live very close to you and could probably help sometime. There really isn't an abundance of people that are good at teaching form in Ottumwa at the moment. Maybe Robbie K or Richie K. I think Richie is more of just a natural and doesn't think about it too hard, so he might not be able to teach as well as he can just do.

Start throwing an ultimate disc for fun. Throw that further and further, then throw a putter as far as you can. Then start throwing mids. Then drivers. Not really what I did, but what I should have done. I still cant throw too hard, but I can't wait to get my pdga rating to see if Im actually good compared to other random people I don't even know.

Seriously though, throw the ultimate disc!