• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

i need to throw farther.

I wouldn't go as far as to say they promote one style of throwing. When I first started on the DGR site I had a more Swede type of throw. They gave me tips on it as well. I personally chose to switch styles. There are many many, people with a Swede style throw that are very successful. I believe the style Blake teaches personally, is easier to learn. Plus, it's his variation on many different styles of form. There are also many sections there that covered several other people's variations of form as well.
I haven't worked with him in person, but what I get out of what Blake is teaching on the internet (and historically I interpret what he says correctly), is to use the method that makes finding "snap" easiest and then figure out the rest of your throw from that. So even if you do learn it with an elbow forward type throw, if you're aware of how to get wrist extension and have the ability/are willing to practice enough to change what's going on before that you can switch styles but retain the important part of the throw.

It's a lot more Zen than how most other people teach. The point is to get the feeling, figure out how to incorporate that feeling into your throw and then do whatever it takes to strengthen that feeling. There isn't one specific style he suggests as long as you're focusing on the feeling of getting that wrist extension.

Most of the time people are trying to emulate a specific set of movements and that just makes learning slow and difficult. The easiest way to do that is to work on them one at a time. When there's like 20 tiny things you have to do "right" to get big snap/perfect form it takes a long time to work on all of them individually. If you work on each one for a month it will take you over a year and a half to see if you get the results you want. If you just work on the one thing and your method is self correcting, then it's a lot easier and way less frustrating to make progress. If you spend a month working on that one thing you'll know if you're getting the results you want before the season really gets going.

Well that's the thing I have perfect form
I have perfect form
perfect form

10-son-i-am-disappoint.gif

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great you played a tourny and you need to keep playing 'em. Like my Dad said, no matter how good you are,there is always something you can learn.
Take a vid and watch it. Post a vid here so your fellow DGrs can critique your throw. What you think is perfect is alot, ALOT different when watching on screen. Trust me. I used to think I had bitchin form, then I brought my camera out with me. I was a WREAK! It was disgusting and I couldnt believe the difference in what I thought was happening and what I was actually doing. Trust me, It will pay off for you in both the short and long run.

I haven't worked with him in person, but what I get out of what Blake is teaching on the internet (and historically I interpret what he says correctly), is to use the method that makes finding "snap" easiest and then figure out the rest of your throw from that. So even if you do learn it with an elbow forward type throw, if you're aware of how to get wrist extension and have the ability/are willing to practice enough to change what's going on before that you can switch styles but retain the important part of the throw.

It's a lot more Zen than how most other people teach. The point is to get the feeling, figure out how to incorporate that feeling into your throw and then do whatever it takes to strengthen that feeling. There isn't one specific style he suggests as long as you're focusing on the feeling of getting that wrist extension.

IMO this is a realy good approach. Not that I follow it, but it makes sence when I think about it.

If you look at the big guns, they have so widely different form and runups and whatnot, but the thing that they all have in common is the hit. Blake focuses on the hit and everything around it will fall in place with enugh practice. I like his style.

If you really are Aaron Palmer from Ottumwa then I live very close to you and could probably help sometime. There really isn't an abundance of people that are good at teaching form in Ottumwa at the moment. Maybe Robbie K or Richie K. I think Richie is more of just a natural and doesn't think about it too hard, so he might not be able to teach as well as he can just do.

Yeah that's me. How close do you live to help?

I wouldn't go as far as to say they promote one style of throwing. When I first started on the DGR site I had a more Swede type of throw. They gave me tips on it as well. I personally chose to switch styles. There are many many, people with a Swede style throw that are very successful. I believe the style Blake teaches personally, is easier to learn. Plus, it's his variation on many different styles of form. There are also many sections there that covered several other people's variations of form as well.

What differentiates a "Swede" type of throw from any other type?

Most of the time people are trying to emulate a specific set of movements and that just makes learning slow and difficult. The easiest way to do that is to work on them one at a time. When there's like 20 tiny things you have to do "right" to get big snap/perfect form it takes a long time to work on all of them individually. If you work on each one for a month it will take you over a year and a half to see if you get the results you want. If you just work on the one thing and your method is self correcting, then it's a lot easier and way less frustrating to make progress. If you spend a month working on that one thing you'll know if you're getting the results you want before the season really gets going.

There you go, you said it much better than I did. That's exactly how Blake works, I just didn't take the time to explain it that well. Lol. :hfive:

What differentiates a "Swede" type of throw from any other type?

There's a good deal of difference in the styles. The body positions, timing, and everything are different. The biggest is the pull through. The entire arm is used almost as one large Lever instead of a small series of levers. Of course it's a little more complicated than that, but that's the gist of it.

Just wanna say that I appreciate blakes teachings and agree that he promotes similarities in style, as well as being the first place I'd look for advise in any unfamilliar style..however, in reguards to my comment, you can't expect 5 minute vidoes to capture what years of text have. Try showing a beginner brad or beatos vid without forum backing and see if they think its better then scott papas vid.

One thing that has helped be immensely since I've started to disc down, is to not worry about trying to throw far. I try to throw STRAIGHT. Once I get going and start hitting my lines, I can start to amp it up a little. If I focus to much on throwing far I start to strongarm. The videos and literature on the hit helped too. Practice, practice, play, practice, play, practice, practice...

Just wanna say that I appreciate blakes teachings and agree that he promotes similarities in style, as well as being the first place I'd look for advise in any unfamilliar style..however, in reguards to my comment, you can't expect 5 minute vidoes to capture what years of text have. Try showing a beginner brad or beatos vid without forum backing and see if they think its better then scott papas vid.

That's why Blake doesn't respond often, unless he can tell people have done their homework. It's kind of like this. Blake isn't stuck up, nor is he not willing to help. But, doing your homework and trying to learn, tells him you're WILLING to learn. If you're not willing to learn, and that includes researching. He's not willing to teach. One thing DGR does enforce, is that you SEARCH/research. So there isn't a need to repeat everything, if they don't search they'll point you to a topic instead of an explanation being given. It's time consuming sometimes to sit and type out a response to why people are having certain problems.

So in response, yeah those videos might not be the most user friendly to those outside DGR. If you're informed enough, they're very useful. But, I get your point. But, once the backbone of the system is established, it's like DGR is now. You can ask an informed question, or get Video analysis and get a simple explanation, or you're pointed to one of the many technique threads that will help you.

That's why Blake doesn't respond often, unless he can tell people have done their homework. It's kind of like this. Blake isn't stuck up, nor is he not willing to help. But, doing your homework and trying to learn, tells him you're WILLING to learn. If you're not willing to learn, and that includes researching. He's not willing to teach. One thing DGR does enforce, is that you SEARCH/research. So there isn't a need to repeat everything, if they don't search they'll point you to a topic instead of an explanation being given. It's time consuming sometimes to sit and type out a response to why people are having certain problems. .

Blake is Pro-search feature!

"Use the search feature"- five :hfive:

Let me know how you throw today in the tournament, hoping you retained it from yesterday :D

There's a good deal of difference in the styles. The body positions, timing, and everything are different. The biggest is the pull through. The entire arm is used almost as one large Lever instead of a small series of levers. Of course it's a little more complicated than that, but that's the gist of it.

Does anyone have a comparison of these two throwing types?

I threw a lot better. Highlight shot for me was parking a slightly downhill 390' hole and having a 20' putt the next round on that hole. Been throwing my rocs like crazy. Anything that's plays under 280'.

Latest posts