• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

IDGC Courses

do they plan to plant some new trees to speed up any restoration process
There's no quick solution, but the fastest path is to let the forest regenerate. If the hardwood trees are undamaged, they will flourish; if they are damaged or cut down, they will re-grow from the stumps, more vigorously than planted trees would grow. Nothing will replace the pines, in our lifetimes.

We have a private course, 90% of which was clear-cut about 20 years ago, just before we bought it. Now, people curse our trees (and are often surprised to learn that they've grown since we've been here).

This is awful news, but mother nature is in charge. Reminds me of the heartbreak of Emerald Ash Borers.
EAB is a biatch for sure. A few of the suburbs around here used ash exclusively for their parkway trees. They went from shady streets to wide open a few years back.

Trees always seemed to me to be permanent infrastructure, until I owned a million of them and learned just how fickle they can be. Use one as a key course design feature, and it may suddenly and maliciously die. Don't use one but leave it off-fairway, and it will not only die but, given all the points of the compass in which to fall, it will aim for whatever fairway it can reach.

So, is, " Played IDGC prior to Sep 2023" the new In before landfilled?

The EAB killed Coyote Trace just before I could get there.
Same. They closed down about a month before I passed through the area if I remember right.

I only had time for one course between Coyote and Holler in the Hills. Once Coyote closed down, the choice was made. That was right after the owner of Holler was arrested, so I was lucky to get a round in there before the place started to get neglected.

I made the decision to cancel the weekend bagging trip I had planned so that I could head down to Appling to play the IDGC courses this weekend. I'm sure it will be a bit crowded, but I don't want to miss my chance to play those three. Kicking myself for putting off this trip for so long.

So sad to hear this news. Had a trip scheduled in late October to the Georgia area and was planning to finally get to play all 3 courses and visit the disc golf hall of fame. I completely understand the tough decision they had to make (mother nature is in charge), but I obviously wish I had been able to play each course at least once before they were gone.

Will definitely miss Champions Cup at W.R. Jackson.... probably one of my favorite courses to watch on tour. :-(

Just finished playing the three IDGC courses. They had already begun clearing trees out of the park. This was going on just beyond the Hole 4 basket of Jim Warner.

Definitely a beautiful complex, but it was sad to see so many tall pines bleeding sap from the beetles.

Attachments

• 20230923_120448.jpg
    20230923_120448.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 1
So that's what it felt like when Travis shot Old Yeller 😥

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230928-200125_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230928-200125_Chrome.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 1
Some new footage of the IDGC after clearing. If you are overly sensitive to distressing images, I would suggest skipping this - tbh it's kind of heartbreaking for those of us who have played it. Hopefully, a lot of what is left will remain standing for a new design.

I'm thrilled to see that they didn't clear-cut it, but left the hardwoods. At least there'll be something to work with.

Mom, I frowed up :cry::cry::cry:

Ouch. Probably looks worse than it is, though. The bones of the holes still seem to be there, but I expect that getting off the fairway will be more forgiving now.

I still want to play the IDGC, but after some time for course healing and redesign as needed.

Not as bad as I expected. The comparison to pre-clearing appears worse because the remaining hardwoods don't have their leaves back from winter. From ground level, there appear to be plenty of trees remaining for throws to avoid and aid in the redesign. They should first clear away the downed brush and have elite pros play the old course layout and see how the scores shake out. Designers can then see how much the original tree pattern affects scoring on each hole. It's rare to get such clear before and after data on the same course layout. Considering one of the reasons for the re-design is to provide space and visibility for video and spectators, it would appear the beetle clearing has helped out already in some cases.

Last edited: