• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

If there were no distance drivers...

Seeing that I don't normally throw distance drivers, I'm good. The only time I throw any distance drivers is if there is a pretty strong headwind. In those instances I would rather disc up.

I'd lose 20-40' off my distance drives, and would be stuck at under 450' until my form improves. The things that would suffer the most are my sbility to hit 400'+ shots 10' or less off the ground, and max D forehands. Lose about 20' and low ceiling navigation from my FH. Wouldn't be a game changer, and would lighten my bag a bit, but throwing far is fun to me so meh.

I don't have much of an arm, but I think I'd be just fine.

I typically throw Vikings and Saints (D3 if I've got the real estate) , and realized a couple of days ago that I can throw my Z Buzzz within 5'-10' of those discs.

My game would probably improve... I should be throwing my Leopards more often anyways.

Yes my game would suffer. I mean how can I navigate those 250' hyzer holes without my Nuke??????

If you're looking for a real answer, for 250' I would use a Tensor. If you like a driver in this role, the Shock as a fairway driver has similar (over) stability to a Nuke.

I throw mostly mids and fairways these days. That said, on longer holes I mainly throw speed 10 discs. I carry both a Rampage and a Cannon but due to crappy form, they don't go any farther than my SLs, really.

Without my destroyers i would lose at least 50 feet from 425' on my backhand and probably more on my forehand. I wouldn't be able to throw over obstacles as easily. I could definately see myself losing 4+ strokes every round.

I would be in trouble

I would be in a heap of trouble without my highspeed drivers. Then again my local course has a +1000 foot hole which is difficult even with the fast stuff. Distance is a huge part of my game and if I had to give up my NukeSS or katana it would lead at least 5 more throws

I think mine would, I don't use them off the tee pad very often unless I need to throw a big spike anheizer. But I use my champion Tern a lot to get out of trouble. I can throw a thumber or tomahawk to get out of a lot of sticky situations. Probably my best throw as sad as that sounds

i'd be alright for the most part, but it depends. 600 foot hole, i can get there in 2. if i get the approach with my opto pure or axis (i'd probably go for distance with a volt on the first shot) then i've got a 3. the same as most other people. not an easy 3, but a 3.

i think you see distance making/breaking people's games once you hit 400 feet (which is where you see a 3 vs a 2 for lots of the crowd) and 600+. anything between 4-600 i think evens the playing field due to the tweener status, in a sense. it's reachable in two for most parties, yes, higher power will be rewarded with an easier approach, but good placement can catch you up.

of course, it's a totally different matter once you take those distances into the woods and add some nasty approaches. then again, you shouldn't be throwing super high speeds in there anyway...

soooo you can't edit after 5 minutes. never knew that! sorry; continuing on....

but that's where the power game comes in. big arms can take a mid and get that sort of D. then you'll start to lose hard.

so the moral of the story is forget the big discs and get a big arm with control to boot. isn't that what you need to compete anyway?

so the moral of the story is forget the big discs and get a big arm with control to boot. isn't that what you need to compete anyway?

True that!!!

You know what would be kind of interesting to see? An event where discs were limited by divisions...something like Open can only throw mids and putters, Advanced can only throw fairways, mids and putters, Intermediate can only throw speed 9, Rec can throw whatever they want.

It would be interesting to see the results. I bet scores in relation to pars would be higher (except for Rec perhaps) but the competition in regards to player vs. player would be the same. And all us Rec guys could see that the divisions higher than us would still score way better even without the high-speed stuff.

I love my destroyers but I could live without em if I had to. Other than that I don't really throw anything over speed 10.

They help forehand drivers the most, because forehand drives are based more on velocity than spin, and without the faster discs, forehand throws will be harder to shape for the average disc golfer who forehands.

They help forehand drivers the most, because forehand drives are based more on velocity than spin, and without the faster discs, forehand throws will be harder to shape for the average disc golfer who forehands.

That is true, but players like, say, Mike C, can forehand a putter a country mile if they want to.

That is true, but players like, say, Mike C, can forehand a putter a country mile if they want to.[/QUOTE.]

Yeah, but making a sport popular is allowing a wide range of people to get involved and do well within a reasonable amount of time. I've never seen anyone throw a putter further than me, and I can throw a pig 240 feet. Furthest forehand throw on flat ground (other than mine), at the Canadian Nationals was only 370ft.

I didn't say distance, I said shaping a line. The finickiness of a putter would make shaping a 350ft line through 30 trees hard to repeat if you had any wind, or if your form wasn't "On" every time you played.

I was in Grande Prairie A.B for the month of May, and 45mph gusts happened a few times during league games. Flicking a putter in that wind was suicide.

Last edited:

Latest posts