• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

In Memory: The Best Extinct Courses

RIP Woodstock Rocks had a great layout, shots unlike any other courses, 18 holes that never got to develop into the awesome course it could have been. Short life of about a year.

I remember when...

The old Richmond Hill DGC in West Asheville, NC. Hands down one of the best disc golf courses in the area & one of the first real courses I experienced when I first started playing. Sadly it was in the way when it came time to put in a military installation (Armory). We did get a new course out of it http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=453 down the road a mile or two & it's similar (wooded holes, etc) but it pales in comparison! :(

Not so fast!

You are bringing up a lot of memories! I lived at that place while at school there.

And yes, Harmon Hills likely is closing due to Jerry's death.
Recent news from Jerry's side of the family is that they want to keep it open! Stay tuned for more info!

This is a great thread I wish everyone would include why the courses got shut down

Gran Canyon because the owner sold the property. (Every few years there are rumors of a possible re-opening, but nothing so far)
Still Waters Farm allegedly because of disputes between family member who owned the property, as to whether or not they wanted the course.
Stonehenge allegedly as the result of a divorce.

"extincted" courses/layouts

Bracketts - Bluff protection and town board turnover
Bailey Road Park - Old Layout - Cause I redesigned it!
Veterans Park, Charlotte - Park Construction led to removal of a few baskets, then some went missing. We pulled the remainder to use as extra baskets at Eastway, Nevin, and Stumpy Creek. Course was outdated anyway in terms of layout compared to other Charlotte courses.

Parma - NY - Old Layout - I liked some of the old holes but the new course is pretty neat.

Lakewood King County Park - WA - Old Layout- Not sure what happened here...just saw it was RIP in my list.

ECU's course was closed b/c it was about 1000 feet from the football field, 300 feet from the baseball field, hole 1 played right along the track / soccer field and hole 16 played right along the softball field.

The field part of the course was used for parking during football games (the baskets were removed by the university on those holes during football games).

The woods were torn down to make room for a track stadium and a bigger softball field. Also, they made more parking.

Why was Circle R shut down? How many courses were there? I'm not familiar.

Circle R was John Houcks property. For several years every time you would go for an event, it was the last time it would be open, and it was normaly not open for public play. Insurance was too expensive for the money you could make charging to play. It is closed now because the Houcks sold the land. Sucks that it is gone but many are left with great memories.

it was two courses, with a third temp course called the back 50 that wasn't near as good, but needed for the number of people who came to play texas teams

The clock is ticking...

Don't be fooled by the longevity of Bill and Flip City, all private courses are headed for extinction...

Why don't people take decent videos of all of these course so the rest of the world can see what they are/were? :(

It would be great if we could start a video library (links to youtube or wherever) of all the courses on this site. I like the reviews and pics, but a short 5 - 10 minute video of all the holes sure is cool...

Tim S.

Why don't people take decent videos of all of these course so the rest of the world can see what they are/were? :(

It would be great if we could start a video library (links to youtube or wherever) of all the courses on this site. I like the reviews and pics, but a short 5 - 10 minute video of all the holes sure is cool...

Tim S.

last time i played gran canyon i didn't even have a cell phone

Here's an aerial of San Saba:
ranch8-2.jpg

- The lodge and driving range are real.
- Strawbale Field, Colorado River, and Meandering Greenbelt were the 3 courses.
- Rancho Grande, set on a wonderful hillside, was planned, but never built.
- Inky Dinky was a little Roc/Putter/Newbie course we were trying to talk John into.

Hole 18 at Colorado River is one of my favorite holes in disc golf.

and that is one of the few that you can find video of.

Bart Zandustra (one of the Lemon Lake leaders/Red Roc DGC) has some Gran Canyone footage; trying to see if I can track down.

I got to stay at San Saba, but had broken my ankle the day before and could not play; my two traveling mates played all three. I think grodney had been there right before us as there were a billion Shiner bottles lined up along the porch....:)

Latest posts