• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My Top 80 favorite courses played (out of 365)

Great list! Me thinks that list would change some once you visit the west coast. :)

Where can I make enough money to basically be involved in disc golf everyday? Any ideas?

Easy. Houck had this -- twice. Well, his Wimberley operation seems to have had a better chance of being sustainable.

So here's what you do. Get yourself a big piece of land, live there, and build two fantastic courses on it. (Or just buy his, which seems to go on-sale/off-sale about 5 times a year.) Then get yourself a disc distributorship and run it off that land. You devote all your time to filling disc orders and keeping the courses in shape. Find a reliable hippy slacker to run things for a couple weeks a year so you can still take course-exploring vacations.

Enjoy the trickle (TRICKLE!) of money off of pay-to-play and camping, and keep waiting for that Disc Golf Boom you've been reading about since early 90s copies of Disc Golf Journal. Hold tournaments as often as you can (or like) to make an additional trickle. Make money off the distributorship. Break it to your wife she may need to get a job in Wimberley or South Austin to keep you afloat.

Done.

I'd be happy to come OUT WEST there to take pictures, write reviews, critique courses . . . if you can round up some money let me know. Unfortunately I still have to pay the bills so I will be sticking with landscaping for now, but if I ever see the opportunity to travel around to other courses and there is a way to make money I will be the first person to make it happen. Kindof like the non stop disc golf tour . . . I could have my own for the common man. Buy an RV drive from town to town, you want to travel with me and play courses with me you can rent space in the RV with me. Who is in?

Easy. Houck had this -- twice. Well, his Wimberley operation seems to have had a better chance of being sustainable.

So here's what you do. Get yourself a big piece of land, live there, and build two fantastic courses on it. (Or just buy his, which seems to go on-sale/off-sale about 5 times a year.) Then get yourself a disc distributorship and run it off that land. You devote all your time to filling disc orders and keeping the courses in shape. Find a reliable hippy slacker to run things for a couple weeks a year so you can still take course-exploring vacations.

Enjoy the trickle (TRICKLE!) of money off of pay-to-play and camping, and keep waiting for that Disc Golf Boom you've been reading about since early 90s copies of Disc Golf Journal. Hold tournaments as often as you can (or like) to make an additional trickle. Make money off the distributorship. Break it to your wife she may need to get a job in Wimberley or South Austin to keep you afloat.

Done.

Sounds nice!

I had the privilege to play flyboy over my christmas break and it was a great experience. I've not played many courses, but flyboy was interesting. The overall experience, neatness of the course, and just it being flyboy was awesome. However, the course itself was not gold level compared to some I've played. I shot under there with somewhat ease and I am far from pro lol. I would say if I ranked it on simply the play of the course, it would be middle of the pack for me, but the overall experience makes it great!

I love the simplicity of that logic.
I suppose I could find 8 to lop off pretty easily.

But that would leave some meh courses on my top 80... completely undeserving of such acclaim.

agreed, mostly im complimenting harr for being able to pick a fav 80

I'd be happy to come OUT WEST there to take pictures, write reviews, critique courses . . . if you can round up some money let me know. Unfortunately I still have to pay the bills so I will be sticking with landscaping for now, but if I ever see the opportunity to travel around to other courses and there is a way to make money I will be the first person to make it happen. Kindof like the non stop disc golf tour . . . I could have my own for the common man. Buy an RV drive from town to town, you want to travel with me and play courses with me you can rent space in the RV with me. Who is in?

Well I will show you around some if/when you do make the voyage west. Nice list though and glad I have at least played some of them.

Then I realized it reminded me of 80playedin10states, before I realized i missed a handful of courses that were rated highly (I just forgot to put them on the list)

I think you should be more like 80played. Stir things up a bit... I know, you could just yell and cuss in all of those reviews! :D

Awesome list. I live 5 minutes from Plamann, and play it every day in the summer. It is a fun course, but after a while it gets boring. I have also played Grignon, and UW Parkside, and those are both very fun courses. I was a little disappointed with Winter, mainly because of the high expectations I had going in. Yulga is another very fun/challenging course with lots of tight shots. I definitely prefer Silver Creek over Winter, but thats just my opinion.

Bethel College? Really? Even ranked at DFL I'm shocked. Acorn is right down the road, maybe even Hanson for the history. You must have met a virginal student out by the lake ;)

brackett's bluff. i didn't have to read past that...

but i am.

Am I wrong in thinking Brackett's Bluff is a 5???? Be honest . . .I just was blown away by the course when I played it (and that was after I played Renny and Hornets Nest). Playing Idlewild this last trip made me second guess my thought process, but I simply do not remember any problem spots at Brackett's and the variety was awesome.

Am I wrong in thinking Brackett's Bluff is a 5???? Be honest . . .I just was blown away by the course when I played it (and that was after I played Renny and Hornets Nest). Playing Idlewild this last trip made me second guess my thought process, but I simply do not remember any problem spots at Brackett's and the variety was awesome.

i don't think you're wrong. i haven't played a ton of courses but it's tops for me hands down. truly a little slice of heaven. great variety of holes. beautiful piece of property. and the feeling i get when i'm out there is unlike any other place i've played. it's like home.

The bluff is brilliant, it is my 2nd favorite. If you like wooded golf the most, Flyboy will probably not overtake that spot. I truly enjoy the overall balance of Flyboy so for me, it is #1.

Bluff is the only one that even comes close though, Stoney Hill being a close 3rd.

I had the privilege to play flyboy over my christmas break and it was a great experience. I've not played many courses, but flyboy was interesting. The overall experience, neatness of the course, and just it being flyboy was awesome. However, the course itself was not gold level compared to some I've played. I shot under there with somewhat ease and I am far from pro lol. I would say if I ranked it on simply the play of the course, it would be middle of the pack for me, but the overall experience makes it great!

To go along with my previous post, I want to add to this.

He is right in some regards, but I think with how windy it can get out there, and the amount of OB, the scoring spread can build up fast.

Also, just because it isn't the hardest course of all time, doesn't mean it's not one of the best, difficulty is great when executed well( see: the bluff) but FBA is one of the most well balanced courses in existence, even though I've only played 30ish, I can say this with confidence. It's just so freaking fun, and that's why I gave it a 5, and that's why it is my favorite course.

Naaaashvegas!

Seven Oaks and Cedar Hill are my home courses! good to see them high on the list with all the other great ones...since I don't get to travel too much..I've only played 19 courses..so makes me feel extra lucky to have them in my backyard

thanks for the list...good stuff!