• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

In need of help

Iloco7

I've been playing for about a year. Play once or twice a week. 42 years old with some right elbow and back injuries. Love to play but my form seems to be getting worse over the past several months. As a result I seem to be throwing mostly thumbers and tomahawks because I don't trust my backhand or forehand. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My 10 and 16 year old sons will also be posting form videos here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2_FOD30AKc

You never get balanced on the front leg/weight forward BH or FH. When you x-step you lean away from the target over your rear leg way too far(tipping your balance past the rear leg) and can't get your balance forward on the plant foot/leg. Keep your weight/balance more between your feet so you can move in a more upright/athletic posture. The pic in the thread below applies 10 fold to you.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101967

Thanks for the link. I'll work on that and upload a new video in the future. It's quite noticeable once you point it out.

Looking better, most of the stuff in the previous links still apply. When you do the x-step you are turning backward too early and leaning back too far out of good athletic posture. If you are looking from a bird-eye view the arc the disc travels is too much around your body instead of going straight through your core. Both x-step and stand still start leaning too far away out of posture and end up spinning out of leverage with the feet and hips. You need to get your sequencing correct and move forward/transfer your weight against the front leg/foot before you begin rotating. When you go into your backswing your front heel is turning up and around over the toes as it comes off the ground, then you begin your first move by spinning the front heel around. You lose most your torque that way. When you go into the backswing your front heel should only get pulled up and back before the toes. Your balance should stay inside/against the rear leg, not leaning over the outside of the leg. The front foot strides forward rather than turning. You will need to close your stance a little by keeping the front foot/hip closer to the left side of the tee pad than your rear foot/hip, (closed shoulder drill). Now your rear heel is not leading the toes forward so it's spinning out and around as well, the rear heel should move toward the target before the rear toes so you finish like vintage Greg Norman. Watch how both feet move in the golf swings below.

Thanks sidewinder. I have a lot to work on. My throw has never felt "right". I watch my boys on the course or on video and it looks more natural. When we watch me on video we usually all crack up laughing. It looks awful. I'll work on the things you mention and the drills. Playing in an Icebowl today here in Maryland so we'll probably get some video on the course.

Been working on some of the things you've suggested. Right foot brace and placement in particular. Also keeping the weight centered, and not rounding. (closed shoulder drill). A lot easier said than done. We took a lot of video but the majority of them were dreadful. (Brain and body won't cooperate). I feel like I'm improving but there's a long way to go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ae4qJCrALQ&feature=youtu.be

When you plant your hips/shoulders should be turned much further back(door frame drill). You start turning forward early and effectively have no shoulder turn. Need to get your weight balanced on the front leg before turning. You are also bringing the disc back really high and then down really hard/ from over the top the rear shoulder which means your arm/elbow/disc isn't swinging around on plane with the shoulders. Try reaching back with your throwing shoulder/arm/disc low and your non-throwing shoulder/arm high, more like a golf posture. Throw putters/mids and under stable fairway drivers for this.

Shawn needs to stay off the rear heel and keep his spine moving forward/targetward instead of always left to right(hershyzer drill). Most pros prefer to move right to left on the tee pad to help keep the hips/shoulders closed unless they are throwing a big hyzer.

John needs to check his grip and alignment as he is not swinging on a plane. and brace the spine against the front leg/foot(tilted spiral vid above). Should finish balanced on the front leg transferring momentum into the shot, instead of wasting it by continuing way forward off the tee pad/front leg. He also moves a bit from left to right instead of closing the stance and striding more forward/targetward(hershyzer wall drill).

Man, I can't stop watching that Steve Rico video.

I've been wondering if maybe I'm starting weight shift and THEN the pull, hitting with weight shift, then with my arm and causing some of the drift right that I'm seeing. I think, after watching Rico, that I am.

That like... one little second where the first foot plants and the disc acceleration happens is so difficult to actually analyze on film. It doesn't LOOK like he's shifting his weight, but he ends up braced on the plant foot, so he is. It happens perfectly time with shoulder rotation and arm acceleration and I think that's where I'm misfiring.

Mind posting some non dgr ( since it's brokulated ) links to those drills you mentioned?
:confused:
EheHnuZ.png

Man, I can't stop watching that Steve Rico video.

I've been wondering if maybe I'm starting weight shift and THEN the pull, hitting with weight shift, then with my arm and causing some of the drift right that I'm seeing. I think, after watching Rico, that I am.

That like... one little second where the first foot plants and the disc acceleration happens is so difficult to actually analyze on film. It doesn't LOOK like he's shifting his weight, but he ends up braced on the plant foot, so he is. It happens perfectly time with shoulder rotation and arm acceleration and I think that's where I'm misfiring.
It's all in the transition/weight shift/the move, and how much further coiled back the pros are at the plant but balanced. Rico keeps his form pretty compact, you will generally see more lag and lateral/vertical spine shift in the longer throwers. The last paragraph is most definitely correct. The actual weight shift is more dramatically felt than is easy to see. Your inertia and balance/spine moves/shifts from the rear axis(leg) to the front leg(axis) but your balance/spine is centered(dynamically). The before and after result of that is fairly easy to see though. (power sequence drill/best downswing weightshift). ;)

:D Sorry! I let an inside joke from my daily life sneak into a forum.
Can you post some links to the drills that you reference in your posts?
Since DGR seems to be broken (brokulated), I was hoping that there would be
some non DGR links available.

Door frame and hershyzer drill. Your shoulders are parallel when you plant and your arm is curled. Need to turn the shoulders back and keep the arm straight and wide and elbow forward.