• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

In search of a Backpack Style Bag

greenvillian

Friends,

I'm in the market for a disc golf backpack. Based on what I've read online, prices range from around $80 (Innova Hero Pack) to $300 (Octothorpe). Here's the "boxes" I want to check:

Quality. I want this to be my last bag purchase. I'm looking to invest in a bag that will last forever.

Lots of storage/pockets

Slick/simple look is preferred. Not into the camo stuff.

I've been looking at the new MVP Voyager, the Latitude 64 Luxury bag, the Grip AX15, and the Octothorpe. The question of the day is "Is the Octothorpe truly worth spending $300 on, or am I getting a mostly comparable bag with the Latitude 64/MVP? Clearly, the Octothorpe is awesome and I like the look of it the best. But if the Latitude 64 will do the job of checking my boxes, I don't want to spend $300. Any recommendations are appreciated!

Again, key word I'm looking for here is "quality"

Pls and thx!

I can't say for sure as I don't own any of those bags, but from what I've read the Octo is in another category compared to other bags in terms of build quality and comfort. You're looking at about $200-$250 anyway so if it we're me I'd just drop the $300 especially if you like the looks.

I want this to be my last bag purchase. I'm looking to invest in a bag that will last forever.

The Octothorpe hits this requirement dead on. Not only are the materials and construction super high in quality, but also the warranty is bulletproof.

There are other bags out there that match the Octo in terms of features, but I'm not aware of any that have the same reputation for build quality.

The Ridge with built in seat!! We use the best Materials and still keep the price on target. And if you even want a cart the Roller (USA built) is built for the Ridge. The best of all worlds and built to last a lifetime. RidgeRoller.com check it out preorder is happing now and bags are in production as we speak

You should really consider the Upper Park Designs rebel. I played a tournament over the weekend with a friend who has this year's octothorpe and he showed me how the shoulder strap padding is already compressing flat (apparently they changed the core material on this year's straps), and the mesh on the strap undersides was getting frayed and nappy. He's only had the bag for two months. I've had the rebel for four months and there's no signs of wear anywhere on the bag after 100+ rounds carrying 23-25 discs (without using the side pockets for extra discs). The octothorpe is still a great bag, and I wouldn't be surprised if the company replaces my friend's straps or entire bag at no cost in the future.
Ergonomically, the rebel and the octothorpe are a cut above every other bag on the market simply because of their contoured backs, and both companies have stellar customer support reputations. I picked the rebel because with a coupon code it was 180 vs 350 for an octothorpe with rainfly(rainfly included with the rebel).
One other thing to consider; I'm 6'2", and the taller rebel seems to fit the curve of my spine better, but I've has some short friends say the octothorpe or the shift (smaller capacity Upper Park bag) fits their back better

Pound disc golf bags for sure. Pros: 5 disc top putter pocket, 18 in the main and lots of side storage. I have a Haul and it is light even when hold 20+ discs and lots of water and other tournament essentials. It depends on what you are wanting? A weekend causal bag or one for the more serious player. But I would spend the money. Pound has the best quality by far and I have a Grip for casual weekend play.

I've never owned an Octothorpe (one of the few bags I haven't owned) but I have a local that I play in plenty of tourneys with who uses one and it truly is a buletproof monster. This is built like a tank.

My personal choice for those requirements would be to look into the Upper Parks Designs Rebel V4. Lots of storage, great disc capacity, the lightest and most comfortable bag of the size, phenomenal build quality, and a stellar price for the product.

UP Rebel. I may never need another bag, based on the quality of this one, but if I do, it will definitely be a UP.

Quality. I want this to be my last bag purchase. I'm looking to invest in a bag that will last forever.

Aw, that's cute. No, but seriously, I applaud your conviction. But if you've never had a backpack bag before, and you're relying on forum opinions and research to determine the first and last backpack bag you'll ever own...well, I'm going to say the odds are not in your favor.

Sure, I can say 'X' is the best backpack for me. Can't imagine wearing anything else. Etc.

But unfortunately no one here knows your body type, how you walk/hike, how you'll like to wear the bag, how your style works with the features (putter placement, storage access, etc.), how the bag handles your needs when you're playing a light, casual round and how it handles a full tournament day. Some of these things you don't even know yet.

The best advice I would give is, find the best deal. Don't spend weeks and months thinking about it and pondering over this or that. Backpacks hold value (as long as you keep them in good shape). Use that to give yourself opportunities to try some different bags until one settles right for you.

For example, a couple weeks ago you could've gotten a Voodoo Spinal Tap for like $140 shipped with their Father's Day Week deal. You get that, wear it for a few weeks. Say to yourself, "Man, that's comfortable, but I'm not quite sold on side pocket storage." Hit up the forums, or the bag B/S/T on Facebook. "Hey, I've got a practically new Spinal Tap (still worth around $150 in the trade market), looking for a great shape Ranger plus a little cash (or some plastic if you're in need)." Rinse and repeat.

Maybe it'll take 5 or 6 bags to pin down what really suits you. Maybe you'll get that first bag and fall in love. But hypothetical research is only going to get you so far. Don't be afraid to dive in. And if you spend a few extra bucks in shipping, or pay a bit to upgrade to a bag you really want to try...well, you're looking for your forever bag. In the end, it will be worth it.

Ooorrrr....just ask some friends who have backpacks to let you try them out for a round or two.

Last edited:
Pound all the way. I've had all the other bags mentioned, with the exception of the Upper Park, and the Pound bags are the best without question in my eyes. Top of the line build quality, well thought out design, bulletproof warranty, made in the USA, great "features", and mega comfortable. They are the most expensive for a reason, best bags on the market today.

Having never used a backpack disc golf bag before, I can pretty much guarantee you'll find something you don't like about your first one. I wouldn't get too hung up on it being your last purchase until you have a better idea of what you do, and do not like.

For example, would you prefer putter pockets situated above the main row of discs, or on the side next to the drink holders?

Do you want a heavy, super rugged bag that can face all conditions? Or would you like a lighter one that works better for half full casual rounds at short courses?

You might want to try my current bag just to help give you an idea of what you do and don't like, then purchase your long term bag. Trying to do otherwise will prove difficult.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrbfGhyF_Dk - There's a link. Not built to last a lifetime, but for $30 it will help you understand what features you do and don't want. I'm sure you could sell it for $20 once you move on, or keep it around as a field work bag like I plan to do once I replace it.

Academy sports sells a $30 backpack bag that is a decent starter bag without breaking the bank right away, as well