• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Infamous Holes!

Hornets Nest Gauntlet

In terms of tight fairways, you can't forget Hornets Nest #14, aka, the Gauntlet.

With no leaves on the trees. At least now you can try to go around the sides.
4f98023c.jpg

And now, with leaves, the fairway is even narrower.
acfe4cd8.jpg

In terms of tight fairways, you can't forget Hornets Nest #14, aka, the Gauntlet.

With no leaves on the trees. At least now you can try to go around the sides.
4f98023c.jpg

And now, with leaves, the fairway is even narrower.
acfe4cd8.jpg

looks like an awesome hole, but i am sure by the 13th throw i would be looking for a chainsaw

looks like an awesome hole, but i am sure by the 13th throw i would be looking for a chainsaw

It's actually not an overly difficult hole, as long as you don't hit the first set of trees. If you look at the top pic, you can see two trees on the right hand side of the gaunlet that form a V. If you make it anywhere close to this point and you have a relatively clear shot, you should be able to get and down for a 3. It's more of a frustrating, don't-beat-yourself hole than a blow-up hole. :wall:

being from IL, I don't have that many holes to choose from so I'll say this much...... (Im rec/nov level.... so keep that in mind)

Lemon Lake Red #7: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_image.php?p=course_pics/463/3da2ee49.jpg
This hole is just evil!.... it's a 90 degree+ dogleg to the right, but here's the catch.. (off the top of my head, I haven't played LL since 07??) about 70ish ft until it turns hard right, guarded by tall trees/schule on both sides... particularly the right/dogleg side, which can even take the overhand out of the equation.... then a full on mid/fairway driver in an ATTEMPT to not go into the schule and get near the basket for a par....

I could ramble on for a while, but this one REALLY irks me... :wall:

as for my hometown/state...
Sgt. Mean's #3 and 7 (new/20 hole layout)
there's a few at Highland Park that destroy me (4,6,13)...
19 at Mokena/The Oaks
AVERY PRESERVE (the whole course... just uhm unique)

also, Winter Park had some VERY tough holes... (more due to injury and skill level)

paw paw gauntlet is way tougher than hornet's nest gauntlet. Not sure if I really like it more. I'm more apt to give it up for hole that requires hitting a gap with distance control that involves ob. 888 and 17 at usdgc come to mind but they aren't as pleasing on my eye as being in the woods.

paw paw gauntlet is way tougher than hornet's nest gauntlet. Not sure if I really like it more. I'm more apt to give it up for hole that requires hitting a gap with distance control that involves ob. 888 and 17 at usdgc come to mind but they aren't as pleasing on my eye as being in the woods.

Which course & hole # - Woodshed or Whippin Post?

Paw Paw Gauntlet I believe is considered hole 3 or 4 on the Woodshed (long narrow dogleg to the left).

Which course & hole # - Woodshed or Whippin Post?

Gauntlet is woodshed # 3 i believe.
Havent been there since '06

1st one's by pond
2nd one's uphill then
comes the gauntlet if memory serves correct

That hole screams rh forehand roller for your 2nd shot if u nail the gap.

gauntlet is indeed #3 at wap wap, woodshed side. imo 15 is even harder. both make the hornet's nest hole pale in comparison.