• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Atlas (Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you)

So with hss of 0 and lss of 1 how long before we see it described as "holds any line you put it Seems kind of weird to release this with new roc, shark, and mako variants out. If anything maybe try this on an aviar and see if it sells. Consistent plate with a soft outer edge seems like it'd make sense to make a putter first.

This is what I have been wondering from the start. If this is about grabbing chains, then a putter makes way more sense than a mid.

If this is about grip, it seems like they should put the soft plastic in the flight plate not the rim.

If this is about trying to get in on the overmold market before it really takes off, then we'll played.

*braces for accusations of being a fan boy *

I don't really care what they are doing though. I will continue to throw discs that I like. I agree with Zam, this only legitimized MVP and draws more attention to them. So I don't think there is any reason for MVP fans to have their undies in a bunch.

How do you grip your discs? Only finger that touches the flight plate for me is my thumb and thats still near the edge of it.

Well maybe Atlas is different (I didn't look that close), but MVP's flight plates come all the way down to the bottom edge of the disc. The overmold is on the very outer edge. None of my finger tips touch the overmold, whether I power grip or fan grip. So I don't see any benefit to grip with the Atlas, unless the overmold is so wide that your thumb rests on it. That is not that much in added grip though.

Even if the Atlas overmold is part of the rim, I still think it makes more sense for a putter than a mid.

Regardless, I don't care what they are doing with it. If it's worth throwing I will use it, if not, I will stick with what I like and works for me.

For me the whole reason I switched to MVP mids/putters was so I could throw premium plastic that didn't change in flight from one strong tree hit, yet keep the glide of base plastic. I love hitting a tree full blast with my axis and knowing I don't need to check the wing for damage, after taking pieces off of DX Rocs with even low power shots. Base plastic around the rim while good for grip, is going to make these things change dramatically in flight with every tree smack.

I just wanted to say I love the subtitle. :)

On a serious note, how can this not completely symmetrical disc be PDGA legal?

But aren't they still symetrical? If your referring to the little nubs that connect the overmold (proboably not the correct term), if you cut the disc in half right down the middle, you could still have 2 exact same pieces...thus symetrical. And whats this about oval Prodigy discs? I must have missed that one.

And whats this about oval Prodigy discs? I must have missed that one.

There were some oval-shaped discs (and some pink discs that didn't have any UV protectant so they faded to white very quickly in the sun - also fixed) that made their way to the general public when Prodigy first released discs to the public. It was corrected by the next run and hasn't been an issue since. The people who are still butthurt over how Prodigy came on the scene like to use that as an excuse as to why they hate the company.

How do you grip your discs? Only finger that touches the flight plate for me is my thumb and that's still near the edge of it.

I just went back and looked at the pic of the underside of the Atlas. There is more overmold than an MVP disc so it probably does have more grip. But I still think a putter would make more sense.

I just went back and looked at the pic of the underside of the Atlas. There is more overmold than an MVP disc so it probably does have more grip. But I still think a putter would make more sense.

I think they should've come out with something MVP doesn't have, a distance driver. Beat them to the punch...

It sounds like this isn't even an overmold at all. The entire outside rim, possibly the whole wing is separate.

It sounds like this isn't even an overmold at all. The entire outside rim, possibly the whole wing is separate.

That's kinda what I am thinking. Even if they did add weight to the wing portion, it looks like it would not have quite the "gyro" ad an equivalent MVP disc.

I think they should've come out with something MVP doesn't have, a distance driver. Beat them to the punch...

Based on the looks of the Atlas I highly doubt they are anywhere close to being able to do that. I'm not knocking Innova there either. MVP are the only ones to do this successfully. It took a lot of smart people a long time with many struggles to get where they are. I'm not sure how seriously Innova is with this...Whether they are actually getting into overmolding or just offering something for the casual/recreational golfer to think is prettier than the MVP discs.

I don't think it matters what type of disc they come out with, it's virtually guaranteed to sell by the truckload just because it says Innova on it. Although, starting with a mid or putter might be smart to get the masses warmed up to the idea of a two part disc.

Based on the looks of the Atlas I highly doubt they are anywhere close to being able to do that. I'm not knocking Innova there either. MVP are the only ones to do this successfully. It took a lot of smart people a long time with many struggles to get where they are. I'm not sure how seriously Innova is with this...Whether they are actually getting into overmolding or just offering something for the casual/recreational golfer to think is prettier than the MVP discs.

Just looking at the pic, I would agree with you. I will reserve judgment until I cut the thing open and take a look at the guts though.

Just looking at the pic, I would agree with you. I will reserve judgment until I cut the thing open and take a look at the guts though.

I have to say I'm really looking forward to your analysis Tbird.

I've been wanting to do it for a long time, but don't have the heart to chop up one of my MVP discs.

Latest posts