• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Bullfrog

Well it took me about a 40 footer before I missed a putt with the Bullfrog. Pretty sweet disc. I get a very clean release with it.

I got 3 of thoses, I didn't like them much for putting at first and put them on a shelve couple of months ago but I did like the hard and grippy XT plastic. I have other discs in XT but even if I liked that plastic, it's not the same then the one for the Bullfrog.

I read a comment somewhere that the Nexus plastic is like that good XT plastic, any truth in it for those that have handled both? I bought a bunch of Firefly anyway to test it myself.

So far practicing home with the Bullfrog, I can only go as far as 25' because of indoor limitation so I'll have to test them more to see if that low glide will be a problem but just with the confidence in my grip with that plastic I can have good velocity.

Last edited:
I just ordered 5 more Bullfrogs. I've been throwing my current 5 along with my 5 Comets at my practice area, and it made me realize how much I like this disc.

Although I'll probably be getting 5 more Comets eventually too.

Anyone else still throwing Bullfrogs? There isn't much talk about this disc.

I'm not saying there's no difference between putters. There most definitely are some quite noticeable differences in feel, stability, fade, glide, tendency to roll...

I am saying "I can be equally ineffective with just about any putter."

PROVIDED TGEY DONT FEEL SO VERY DIFFERENT ...once your head is in the right place, I think experienced players can make the adjustment from one putter to another pretty well.

^I can putt with most putters, but driving is where the real difference comes into play for me. I tried a bunch that just didn't feel right until I got a Bullfrog.

If I didn't like the Rhyno's Thumtrac so much, I would probably have 3 Bullfrogs in the bag right now.
I love the mold and especially the grippy XT plastic. Having said that, I would love to see it in more plastics.

Underrepresented mold IMO.

I've got a protostar that I bag as my throwing putter, pair it with a zone. Had been throwing a star aviar3, but I like the bullfrog a bit better due to the slightly more shallow grip. Don't throw it a ton, or at least hasn't beat in enough to lose it's fade.

I agree though, a mold that doesn't get a lot of love but is actually pretty solid.

... I would love to see it in more plastics.

I'd really like to try it in DX. The Bullfrog is dead straight for me, but it would be fun to try a flippy version as it beats in.

I bag R-Pro Rhynos as well, so I would definitely buy a few R-Pro Bullfrogs.

Hey Innova, you listening?

I got my Bullfrogs yesterday, and they are not the same as my first batch. The plastic kind of feels like XT, but not as grippy. Also these all have a slight dome to them. What the...?!? I haven't had the chance to throw them yet, so I'm really hoping this isn't a deal breaker.

I also thought the stamps were white, but they are reflective chrome. I wish Innova would stop with the reflective stamps, or at least bottom stamp their putters. I play during lunch quite often, and these stamps are blinding in the sun. Looks like I'll be removing stamps soon.

I got my Bullfrogs yesterday, and they are not the same as my first batch. The plastic kind of feels like XT, but not as grippy. Also these all have a slight dome to them. What the...?!? I haven't had the chance to throw them yet, so I'm really hoping this isn't a deal breaker.

I also thought the stamps were white, but they are reflective chrome. I wish Innova would stop with the reflective stamps, or at least bottom stamp their putters. I play during lunch quite often, and these stamps are blinding in the sun. Looks like I'll be removing stamps soon.

From what I can tell from other sites and ones Run by Innova is that Innova Stamp is only made in the Bullfrog in specific crackle style Foil Shiny with sparkle material in the stamps that make the inner picture hard to see what it is. Yes Using that one style of Stamp gives the stamp such a problem that no patter how you hold the stamp in the sun, the disc will reflect back some sun into the eyes. My Brother had that with his DX Gator until the older version of that stamp lost the shiny and had only the sparkle to the stamp, newer versions of same stamp just last longer with the shiny.

Last edited:
Damn long lasting shinies nowadays.

I have one of the original XTs, and man, that is a great p&a disc. I love the low glide on windy days for long putts and upshots. I just goes where I want it and no surprises. Ptretty happy with XT as well, a plastic I only know from Colts.

Are the new XT discs still not as grippy? I mean I heard XT went from stiff to not as stiff in 2019 more like that used for Nova then back to the old Stiff XT not used for Nova that is more durable and what I am hearing is now is like DX currently used for the Dragon with some runs too stiff but most at almost not legal in some and all are way too waxy.

Last edited:
Are the new XT discs still not as grippy? ...

The third batch of five that I bought, felt more like the first batch. Grippy but not sticky.

I may be giving up on the Bullfrog though. I started bagging an R-Pro Dart, and I'm really beginning to like it.

I may go back to using the Bullfrogs as throwers though...I love the Bullfrog as a thrower, but it ruins them far too quickly if also using it to putt with.

McPro Bullfrog? That would be the shizzzz.

Or at least a stiff KC Pro, like the better runs made in the last 5 years. Not the extra stiff illegal Glow KC like what ended up on the F2 market with a warning saying the discs are Too stiff for PDGA use.

I never liked the McPro/Tour Pro too slick when I tried to pick that up one time in a store I dropped the 3x McPro Roc in the store. Paul had not won 4th worlds yet in 2017.

Either way a stiff KC, or Tour plastic is something needed for the disc.

Last edited:
The third batch of five that I bought, felt more like the first batch. Grippy but not sticky.

I may be giving up on the Bullfrog though. I started bagging an R-Pro Dart, and I'm really beginning to like it.

I may go back to using the Bullfrogs as throwers though...I love the Bullfrog as a thrower, but it ruins them far too quickly if also using it to putt with.

Dart is going to be a disc like the Aero or the Skeeter in that the disc will be US and great for driving/approaching with the disc in a straight flight not needing lots of power for that slot. At least that is how I have seen Dart discs being used on some courses in my area.

I picked up a 172g Bullfrog this weekend, used it a little the next day during doubles, and a lot today during two practice rounds. It will replace a DD Warden I have that I rarely use for shots because the rim depth is a bit much for my liking [but it will remain my putter].

The Bullfrog is a great disc for backhand/forehand throws where the disc will essentially stay on the angle you give it and will travel how hard you throw it. It has a very comfortable rim for both types of throws and the XT plastic worked great in 35-40 degree temps.

For the few "power" throws, the disc flew very straight with hardly any fade. I am finding that this disc may be the default choice for some of the shorter holes. :thmbup:

Latest posts