• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Innova plastics and stability

Hey Louie

How would you rank innova plastics by stability? I understand that DX is the least stable and have heard that Champion is the most stable. But we're does Pro, Star and G Star fall in line. I have recently purchased some G Star discs that seem to be very overstable.

No problem. I should have been nicer with my response though. There are many threads that can be dug up from the grave if you google hard enough.

The OP sounds like he's confusing the stability of the various plastics (how long it holds its flight characteristics) WITH it's flight characteristics.

Well this is how I would rate the plastics stability wise, OS->US:

Champ
Star
XT
GStar
Pro
DX
R-Pro

Admittedly, my only experiences with rpro would be a roc and I only have XT Rocs and P2s. So take it with a grain of salt

Well this is how I would rate the plastics stability wise, OS->US:

Champ
Star
XT
GStar
Pro
DX
R-Pro

Admittedly, my only experiences with rpro would be a roc and I only have XT Rocs and P2s. So take it with a grain of salt

Definitely correct on Champion, Star, and GSTAR, across Destroyers, leopards and Rhynos. Star Colts are more stable than XT.

The OP sounds like he's confusing the stability of the various plastics (how long it holds its flight characteristics) WITH it's flight characteristics.

Please explain as I am still very new to the sport and always trying to learn.

If you have the same weight disc in 2 different plastics and plastic A flies straighter and then fades more at the end would that not then be considered more stable than plastic B that turns right in the beginning of the flight then s out?

This can sometimes open a can of worms... Typically, when we DGCRers say "stable," we mean "overstable." So yes, champion is typically more OS than star which is more OS than DX. The more OS variety would typically NOT go as straight because it tends to have less turn and tends to fade more. Understanding flight ratings is a whole other thing. I still think no kind of reading can replace getting out and seeing how discs behave in different conditions.

Now that I'm re-reading your previous post, yes I think your understanding is correct. Basically an "overstable" disc turns less and fades more. Hope that helps.

I have so many plastics, that this is how I'd rank them:

Champ
Star
GStar
Echo Star
Starlite
Blizzard
XT
Pro
R-Pro
DX

My friend has a few KC Pro Candy Firebird's and those things are wicked overstable. Older JK Pro Valkyrie plastic is pretty stable also. If I had to rank those, this is my list:

KC Pro Candy
Champ
Star
JK Pro
GStar
Echo Star
Starlite
Blizzard
XT
Pro
R-Pro
DX

I'm not so sure the type of plastic has all that much to do with how it flies. I have three DX Leopards. (I know, long story) They were all purchased new but at different times and from different sources so it's unlikely they were from the same production run, but they are still all the same plastic, same mold, same stamp.

The oldest one is the most beat in and it will fly mostly straight with a slight right fade until it slows down and then it drops off to the left. It also flies the farthest of the three.

The second one flies straight until it loses speed and then it fades hard right.

The third, and newest one, turns hard left right off the tee.

I try to always throw them the same but, being human, I am the inconsistency in the equation.

We have time if you want to spin a yarn.

Well, at the risk of putting everyone to sleep:

I bought the first DX Leopard in a local big box sporting goods store and I really liked it. But one day I lost it in some very heavy underbrush. So I bought another from an on-line disc retailer. About two months later, my original one showed up in the lost and found at the local pro shop so I got it back. Then, about a month ago, my church was planning a small disc golf demo as part of a larger games type event. So I went out and bought one of those 3-disc starter sets for folks to use. The event is over and now I have the DX Leopard out of that set.

Now, aren't you sorry you asked? :)

What I still don't fully understand is why they each fly so differently?

What I still don't fully understand is why they each fly so differently?

So many different factors. But stage of wear might be the main thing with baseline plastic. From there, also pay attention to so-called "parting line height" (PLH), basically how high the wing edge is when you put in on a flat surface. Also, weight differences might factor in as far as your Leopards are concerned.

E.g. I have two star teebirds. One is a "softer" star with more dome and lower PLH, the other is much more firm, swirly star with a higher PLH. Both are 175, but the higher PLH disc is more overstable even though I've spent a lot more time wearing it in.

You're right, though. For most of us, there's probably more throw-to-throw variation than disc-to-disc variation causing different flight paths. But as I continue practicing, that throw-to-throw variation is becoming manageable, and at the same time I'm getting much more comfortable with how I can make my discs behave.

Wondering if that would be the same argument if you had, let's say three 7-iron's from Taylor Made or the manufacturer of your choice.

As I don't play much golf, could a person that swings the sticks frequently answer? I'm thinking that the length of shot, lob of the shot, true angle of the iron might be some talking points.

I'm not so sure the type of plastic has all that much to do with how it flies. I have three DX Leopards. (I know, long story) They were all purchased new but at different times and from different sources so it's unlikely they were from the same production run, but they are still all the same plastic, same mold, same stamp.

The oldest one is the most beat in and it will fly mostly straight with a slight right fade until it slows down and then it drops off to the left. It also flies the farthest of the three.

The second one flies straight until it loses speed and then it fades hard right.

The third, and newest one, turns hard left right off the tee.

I try to always throw them the same but, being human, I am the inconsistency in the equation.

From your description it sounds like you throw RHBH. Also, did you mean to say the second disc fades hard left at the end of it's flight? If so, it sounds like your discs fly accordingly to how they are seasoned.

Wondering if that would be the same argument if you had, let's say three 7-iron's from Taylor Made or the manufacturer of your choice.

As I don't play much golf, could a person that swings the sticks frequently answer? I'm thinking that the length of shot, lob of the shot, true angle of the iron might be some talking points.

I think golf club manufacturing is much more consistent both because they're dealing with metal and because they're a bigger industry. Plastic is incredibly difficult to mold consistently. Taking that into consideration, the big companies do remarkably well.

From your description it sounds like you throw RHBH. Also, did you mean to say the second disc fades hard left at the end of it's flight? If so, it sounds like your discs fly accordingly to how they are seasoned.

Yes I do throw RHBH and the second disc always fades hard right, not left, at the end of it's flight. It's become my go to disc when I need that pattern.