• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Innova - Pro plastic the straightest???

I have been playing 4 months, and max distance 225', with rare ones out to 245'. Champion Sidewinder and TeeBird both fade hard early on me. Champion Leopard3 okay. Pro Leopards 200', Tern and Valkyrie 225-245', and all go pretty straight. Obviously limited experience, but so far I am hating Champion, and loving Pro. Might be more the weights than the plastics - the Champions are heavier, while the Pro Tern and Valk are 248-249g. Pro Leopards (2) were both heavier weights. IDK - still learning.

Pro has the glide almost like the old champion plastic. It's straight life is probably between rounds 3-9. After that just start to slightly add more hyzer. This is my experience with a Pro Orc. A Pro Leopard would probably start straight on round 1 but form and arm speed are going to create variances.

Up until now, I didn't throw hard enough to really mess up a DX disc with one throw. But, maybe reaching that threshold? I hit a tree with my DX Mamba the other day, and it gauged up the disc pretty bad. Still seemed to throw about the same, but it don't look the same. Another tree hit warped it noticeably, but I bent it back to original shape. Update: After a bit of use, it never flew the same again after thise hits. It used to flip to flat regardless my hyzer angle - after this, if required perfect amount of hyzer, or it would not flip to flat and go straight. I have since gave up on using it. It was my fastest/furthest DX at the time - getting about 245' with it when I got the right hyzer angle.

Last edited:
Well if it's a precision flying disc with some flip and turn, yeah it could get goofy quick haha. Typically as it beats and warps it will turn more and often fade harder and more abruptly. If it's a thick rim like a scorpion it will hold up to it better, if it's stable like a firebird or a scorpion 🦂 often it just gets better until it's really misshapen.

You should probably buy another 3 backups just in case...

Plus, bonus, the course(s) I play are all free, and I can buy 4 Innova discs on F2 Friday for less than the cost of a round of ball golf. That ball golf is an expensive sport!
Back in the day 15yrs ago when I resumed disc golf I'd do a service call for cash and immediately convert it into beer and a new disc. Got a lot of turds that way, and heavy ones that were beyond my ability, luckily I also had an unstoppable Aussie Shepherd that was a great disc fetcher.. so they got use one way or another. People would come over and just bomb his discs down the hill for an hour or two and he'd keep getting them. Always his, never other people's. Barely took the edge off the bastard.

It was thanks to fetch that I really appreciated my 160 roadrunner again, while I was wiring Purdys house I was bombing it out the window and rollers out the door to keep Jake occupied. There's nothing like throwing the same disc 20 times in a row without having to wait to go get it.

The lights out tourney I shot I repo'd a soft purple anode from Jake the morning of, I needed something that held a little straighter and we'd been throwing it for months. Turns out dog slobber actually gets kind of tacky, it was like secret grip fluid.

Sorry to shitpost, but SD86 finally got their DX Roadrunner!?

Okay...fine...the world is indeed flat.

I have been playing 4 months, and max distance 225', with rare ones out to 245'. Champion Sidewinder and TeeBird both fade hard early on me. Champion Leopard3 okay. Pro Leopards 200', Tern and Valkyrie 225-245', and all go pretty straight. Obviously limited experience, but so far I am hating Champion, and loving Pro. Might be more the weights than the plastics - the Champions are heavier, while the Pro Tern and Valk are 248-249g. Pro Leopards (2) were both heavier weights. IDK - still learning.
I know it's a typo but I wish I could get 250g valks.

Your 250g Valk wish reminds me of a question I have wondered about, even though it probably belongs in the newbie forum. It seems like I read PDGA rules allow discs up to a max weight of 200g, but I never see anything over above 178g. So, why do I never see any 200g putters?

Your 250g Valk wish reminds me of a question I have wondered about, even though it probably belongs in the newbie forum. It seems like I read PDGA rules allow discs up to a max weight of 200g, but I never see anything over above 178g. So, why do I never see any 200g putters?

I have a 200g Zephyr, a super class disc which is PDGA legal. I am not 100% certain but I believe the max weight of a disc is related to its diameter.

The weight pertains to the diameter of the approved mold. A zephyr or superclass/ultimate disc is around 200g, very blunt rim. A mid like a Roc or Buzzz is a mid with a blunt rim max 180 ish. Drivers and putters max at 175g.

There is actually a training wizard at 200g I believe. Not pdga legal but it's supposed to help develop snap... my scorpions are 183 and 186g sharp like a driver and wide like a mid, they likely wouldn't get approval these days if they re-applied.

I had a Pro Leopard for a few months, and it was very straight for me. But, I grip-locked it into a lake. Just today I got a replacement Leopard Pro, and a light (148g) Pro Tern, and new, in very limited use, both seem much straighter than my multiple Leopard Dx and Star Terns. Is that just small sample size, or is Pro plastic straighter? Thinking of getting some more Pro plastic, so also wondering, does Pro plastic hold up well? Separate from that, my son and I throw multiple Roadrunners between us, and they seem pretty straight - we see very little of that huge -4 turn number. Almost seems like they should be -1/1, instead of -4,1. Others, do Roadrunners match that -4 turn for you? Thanks for any input.
Star Roadrunner !
i live on it. yes it is more stable than Dx.
get some lighter ones too.

Update - I have been playing since April 2023 - almost 9 months. I mostly buy Star for drivers now - Pro and DX both get damaged too easily. I have a Pro Boss that got a big dent from one hard tree hit. Still not big on Champion - seem to get less distance, be too stable, and translucent harder for me to find discs even in open, short grass. My regular distance 250', max 275', and I have a light weight DX Mamba roller that I got 300' with a couple times, but for me roller still lacks consistency. We often do 2 vs 2 best disc, so on long holes with room to roll, if my partner gets a safe shot, I will often try the roller.

Update - I have been playing since April 2023 - almost 9 months. I mostly buy Star for drivers now - Pro and DX both get damaged too easily. I have a Pro Boss that got a big dent from one hard tree hit. Still not big on Champion - seem to get less distance, be too stable, and translucent harder for me to find discs even in open, short grass. My regular distance 250', max 275', and I have a light weight DX Mamba roller that I got 300' with a couple times, but for me roller still lacks consistency. We often do 2 vs 2 best disc, so on long holes with room to roll, if my partner gets a safe shot, I will often try the roller.
There is an interesting video that field test Innova discs in different plastics. This guy has a whole playlist of videos about different plastics. This one is most related to your post.

Definitely discs are individual. The flight numbers are a guide, but some discs have a mind of their own. I have I think a 158g Sapphire that is supposed to be starter friendly and under stable, and that thing is an absolute meat hook. Every time I improve some, I try it again - every time, it makes a hard left. My 5-6 Mambas show their big -5 turn, while my 4-5 Roadrunners show much less of their big -4 turn, even in lighter weights. I have a DX TeeBird that goes right when my son throws it. Some discs just have a mind of their own.

Latest posts