• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Shryke

I got out in the field briefly with a GStar Shryke and a couple of fresh Champ Terns yesterday, and I have to say I've revised my opinion slightly after throwing these side by side. The Shryke, even a GStar, is a little more stable than a champ Tern. On a good rip, the champ Terns would flip over from a moderate hyzer and hold the anny angle until about the last 10% of the flight when they would fade back, usually ending well right of where I was throwing (RHBH). The Shryke flipped as well, but not quite as much and it also tended to fight out a little sooner and end either straight or slightly left of center.

Another observation, which probably stems from the difference in stability. The Terns wanted to be thrown a little higher to get their full flight path and distance. On a couple throws I threw the Shryke a little too high and it went straight and then faded out. The Shryke wanted to be hyzer flipped on a lower line. Probably throwing it flatter or even slightly anhyzer on a high line would work as well. It was bombing just as far as the Terns (depending on the throw), but definitely a little different lines.

Gross. Champ is my least favorite driver plastic. The Shrykes I have are longer than Champ Terns and in wonderful soft grippy plastic. Now to find something for the Sheriff slot to eliminate Lucid.

Gross. Champ is my least favorite driver plastic. The Shrykes I have are longer than Champ Terns and in wonderful soft grippy plastic. Now to find something for the Sheriff slot to eliminate Lucid.

How do you find the Sheriff to compare to the Shryke (or to a Pro/GStar Destroyer for that matter)? I've only seen one throw with a Sheriff and it looked like it had a little turn, and the guy throwing probably only threw it 325, which made me think it might actually have more of a Shryke flight than a Destroyer flight.

Flight is close, but mine is a smidge more OS than my Star Shryke. So, the three discs sit right next to each other. Sheriff/Star Shryke/G* Shryke. Those are all into the wind or dead calm. Down wind gets me to my Terns. Now, this is all a tryout period since those first three are relatively new to me. No telling what that part of the bag will look like this Fall.

Agreed. I'd keep the champs and eliminate the other plastics. The Shryke could be the disc that makes Terns obsolete as well. Same general flight, but longer, faster, better glide.

The Shryke will not make the Tern obsolete, at least not with the masses that don't (and shouldn't) throw high-speed discs, more than Speed 11, including me. The Tern is that "long Speed 11", at least for me, while the Shryke is a bit much for the noodle arm (a.k.a. slower armspeed arms).

Flight is close, but mine is a smidge more OS than my Star Shryke. So, the three discs sit right next to each other. Sheriff/Star Shryke/G* Shryke. Those are all into the wind or dead calm. Down wind gets me to my Terns. Now, this is all a tryout period since those first three are relatively new to me. No telling what that part of the bag will look like this Fall.

If you wanted to get rid of the Sheriff for something in non-champion-type plastic, I'd grab a GStar Destroyer in the mid 160's. GStar Destroyers start out way less overstable than Stars and the weight reduction would help too. They might still be just a tick more stable than the Sheriff out of the box but give one a few rounds and I bet you'd be really close.

The Shryke will not make the Tern obsolete, at least not with the masses that don't (and shouldn't) throw high-speed discs, more than Speed 11, including me. The Tern is that "long Speed 11", at least for me, while the Shryke is a bit much for the noodle arm (a.k.a. slower armspeed arms).

Yeah I can see that. As I said above, after throwing the Shryke side by side with some fresh champion Terns, I do think that even the champion Tern is less stable than the Shryke. There are probably a few out there with similar stability (glow or MF or something), but I bet the majority are just a tick less stable and then if you drop down to Star or GStar they're even less stable than champion and more noodle-arm appropriate. I would think the Shryke might be good for a noodle arm into a headwind or something, but probably not for go-to distance driver duties.

If you wanted to get rid of the Sheriff for something in non-champion-type plastic, I'd grab a GStar Destroyer in the mid 160's. GStar Destroyers start out way less overstable than Stars and the weight reduction would help too. They might still be just a tick more stable than the Sheriff out of the box but give one a few rounds and I bet you'd be really close.

I used to have a low PLH Star Destroyer that was perfect. Got over confident one day and threw it over a lake. It gone.

I would think the Shryke might be good for a noodle arm into a headwind or something, but probably not for go-to distance driver duties.

That's what I was finding with the range work... Shryke bombed into the wind, but I was having trouble with it otherwise. I fixed some of the problems as I worked on form, but the Shryke still is a bit much for me. I've also been discing down and the Avenger SS has been a surprise bomber for me, but the Tern will return as my long distance driver.

I have Star and Champion Terns, right in the 167-168g range, and throw one or the other depending on if I ate my Wheaties that morning (feeling strong: Champ Tern; feeling not so strong: Star Tern).

shryke.jpg

just got this guy, getting a star next. Looking forward to seeing how it flies :thmbup:

10 throws in. I absolutely hate this disc but I'll keep going based on this thread.

Which plastic did you get it in ranger?

I started to throw my shryke again and have really been loving it. I have a few star line ones and they're less touchy than the G star and I can really crank on them and as long as my form is good it can really bomb. I still bag the Gstar as it can come in handy for long turn over shots or finesse tail wind bomber shots.
I just saw they have some really lightweight star shrykes out so I want to try one of those and also want to try the champ ones. Has anyone thrown either of these?

I've thrown several 170 Champs that bomb. Like a seasoned Destroyer with mellow, forward penetrating fade.

10 throws in. I absolutely hate this disc but I'll keep going based on this thread.

I wasn't crazy about it 10 throws in either. The Shryke takes a bit to get used to. You'll go into it with a preconceived notion of how you SHOULD throw it. That method won't work. Experiment a bit and figure it out. The Shryke is as long as any disc out there. You just have to be patient with it.

If you have the arm to make it work, this disc is a workhorse.

Which plastic did you get it in ranger?

I started to throw my shryke again and have really been loving it. I have a few star line ones and they're less touchy than the G star and I can really crank on them and as long as my form is good it can really bomb. I still bag the Gstar as it can come in handy for long turn over shots or finesse tail wind bomber shots.
I just saw they have some really lightweight star shrykes out so I want to try one of those and also want to try the champ ones. Has anyone thrown either of these?

Star 170s

Did anyone else notice that the Champ Shrykes dont seem to be in jolly launcher plastic. Seems like something more opaque and closer to luster. The one I have definitely isnt that jolly launcher clear sort of blend, and I kinda wish it was for the sake of grip.