• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Shryke

I went from Destroyers to Wraiths, "discing down" a tad opting for a smoother throw instead of feeling like I'm cranking on a disc every drive. I threw a Shryke and really liked it. It's one of those discs for me that makes me feel like I'm not throwing it hard, but still has that flight of really getting a good throw in. I have 3 star right now, 2 I bought and 1 I found in the middle of the fairway, no name/number on it. They're starting to take on the role of main driver instead of Wraiths. I consistently throw between 375-400 with Wraiths at the local driving range, and feel if I really get a hold of a Shryke it'll go a touch further with an easier feeling throw.

I onl have 1 Star 175g Shryke, but I really like it. I'm not bagging it right now but I think its a nice disc. If you're interested in trying it, its probably worth it. The Star had decent flex to it so im gonna use that more in cold weather.

Anyone thrown any of the glow Shryke's? Wondering if they are more stable than champ. Threw a yellow champ and it's slightly too flippy to be a workhorse distance driver for me, hoping to find one a tad more stable.

I carry a color glow along with a champ and a pop-top star shryke. All max weight. For me, the color glow sits in between the star and the champ. The champ with flip pretty hard at about 380 and the star will ride flat to about 400. The glow Shryke is by far my longest disc with a good turn and still finishing with left movement.

Mythical vs. Real.

Shryke-the-edge-chronicles-28722898-286-176.jpg

Got my first Shryke's last Friday....175g Star, 167g G-Star, and a 171g Champion. I was able to throw all three over the weekend, but wasn't able to fully field test them. They all got used on the course, and on an unfamiliar course at that. So I wasn't able to gauge my distance with them compared to my DDX's, PD2's, and Destroyers properly. Because I don't have the extra bag space, I had to pull my DDX's and Destroyer out of my bag to fit the Shrykes, only keeping a PD2 in to pair with them.

Initial impressions seem to fit the flight ratings. All three were what I'd call understable, with the 167g G-Star being significantly less stable than the Star and Champ. I was able to throw big hyzer flip shots with the G-Star, only getting a tiny bit of fade at the very end of the flight.

The 175g Star and 171g Champ flew very similar. Both discs thrown flat at full power would exhibit some initial turn, before fading very reliably at the end of their flight. When thrown on a slight hyzer, they would flip to flat and ride straight for 90% of their flight, finishing with a solid fade. When thrown on low lines they would skip when finishing their flight.

Also the Champ is an awesome plastic blend, feels more like Opto plastic than standard Champ. Very grippy, opaque, and had a slight pearl in it. Pretty wicked stuff, wish all of Innova's Champ plastic would blend up like this.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the results. I was expecting the G-Star to be flippy, and the Star and Champ seem to fly like my S-line DDX's when new. I'm interested to see how they compare when thrown side by side with my DDX's.

Got a Champ Shryke in this month's Disc Member package, which arrived yesterday. Before reading through part of this thread, and some success using an Archon this morning, I thought I would either put the Shryke away for a while, or trade it away. I rarely throw anything faster than Innova's 11 speeds, but I've had this E* Archon sitting around for several years, and decided to give it a try forehand. The decent throws I had with it bombed, and flew close to flight numbers, maybe a bit more turn. So, now I'm thinking of trying out the Shryke forehand. :)

Tested out a glow Shryke recently and I am a fan. I did not compare any plh or domes but it was a touch more over stable than my stars or champ. It flew as if once it gets beat a little will be a bomber for a long time. I throw pretty flat and low fwiw. 440 is a good throw.

Finally got to throw a star Shryke and can't believe the distance I'm getting with it. Easily my longest disc in the bag, and easy to throw. Consistently 30 feet longer than my Terns, sometimes more. I was resisting trying new discs and focusing on improving form but this is a case where the disc makes the difference.

Yeah, I think if I had to pick the disc I get the most distance with by Innova it'd be the Shryke. It compares well with the Tern, but the Shryke seems to glide better and is somewhat faster. Same general stability though. Release them flat and the S curve flight is noticeable.

IMO very real contender for the longest driver on the market right now.

Yeah, I think if I had to pick the disc I get the most distance with by Innova it'd be the Shryke. It compares well with the Tern, but the Shryke seems to glide better and is somewhat faster. Same general stability though. Release them flat and the S curve flight is noticeable.

IMO very real contender for the longest driver on the market right now.
Sucks that I have about 20 Terns stockpiled and I doubt I'll have a need to bag both molds in the long term. Right now my Terns are still essential because it's the driver I can place anywhere on the fairway with confidence. But as I get used to the Shryke and have that same comfort level with the added distance, I can't think of a reason I'd ever grab a Tern instead. The Shryke in different plastics, weights and stages of wear will cover every shot.

Only have Gstar and Star now and will be ordering a max weight champ to see how much beef that will add. I imagine it could replace my slightly beat pro Destroyer.

Sucks that I have about 20 Terns stockpiled and I doubt I'll have a need to bag both molds in the long term. Right now my Terns are still essential because it's the driver I can place anywhere on the fairway with confidence. But as I get used to the Shryke and have that same comfort level with the added distance, I can't think of a reason I'd ever grab a Tern instead. The Shryke in different plastics, weights and stages of wear will cover every shot.

Only have Gstar and Star now and will be ordering a max weight champ to see how much beef that will add. I imagine it could replace my slightly beat pro Destroyer.

I agree. I love the Tern too, but it and the Shryke are definitely too similar to need to bag both. The Shryke just flies further, period.

Both the Tern and the Shryke are about as understable a disc as I'd ever bag. I don't need/want anything flippier than them.

I caved and bought a max weight Champ Shryke yesterday. I was throwing beat Destoyers for that slot, getting around 430ft or so, but the Shryke beat them by 20ft virtually every time. Little bit of hyzer, mine flips to flat then turns just a hair (late in flight too. Anyone else see this?) and fades forward. I also found it really easy to control for how fast it is. Think I'll keep Destoyers in the bag for wind or fade shots and have Shrykes as the compliment. Solid freaking disc.

Latest posts