• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Shryke

I wish they would have gone with Shrike instead of Shryke.

I'd buy one if it was named the Shirk. Or the Shrek. Or the Shorc, which is a cross between a Shark and Orc. Or the Shriek to compliment my Scream. Or the Shroom to work with my 420.

Oh what the hey, I'll buy one anyway.

Gee, another spd 13, this turn/that fade driver from Innova. How many they got now, about 20? Beyond saturation :rolleyes:
First, I will say that I have absolutely no interest in this disc.

But, what do you think Innova the business should do? Rest on their laurels and just market what they have already made? That is a recipe for disaster from business standpoint. A company that does not release new products is destined to be left in the dust by its competitors. Look are car or watch companies (especially the luxury ones). There is very little real change in the new models that come out, but new "updated" models are released. Now from Innova's point of view, they have two options from which to choose. Either release updates of classic molds, like plus molds, vtech, 3 series, which have varying success. Or they can create new molds all together, success also varies here. A combination of the two is what they are doing. For the well established molds, they offer slight tweaks while still producing the classics. With less successful molds, they are often just creating new molds that end up replacing the less successful ones. If they have a spot in their lineup that is filled by a mold that does not sell well, why not create a new mold to fill the same spot. The very fact that it is new will almost certainly increase sales over the previous poor selling mold. And it just so happens that most of the poor selling molds tend to be on the understable end of the spectrum.

Sorry for such a lengthy response, but I just don't understand bitching about Innova "oversaturating" their lineup. No one is forcing you to buy the new molds, but at least you have the option if you want to do so.

I think the market is oversaturated in general; not just Innova's line-up. Realistically, there are only so many speed/glide/turn/fade combos you can produce, ditto innovations in plastic, flight-enhancing gimmicks, etc. but what's a company whose business is making discs to do? You can't stop making them if that's the business you're in, so overlap, oversaturation, etc. Try to view this as a positive, though. It's truly a glorious time to be a disc buyer; there are so many!!!

Okay I like the name Shryke WAY better than Shriek honestly. I'm sure this is the disc that the person who posted the Shriek thread was told about; there was just a miscommunication. I do think they are intending it to mean the bird although possibly a more "mythical" version like the Roc.

As to all the people complaining about another Innova high speed driver, I don't understand this complaint unless you just like complaining. Sure, Innova released the Colossus early this year, but before that their last high speed driver release was the Daedalus, which was approved February 2014. Between the Daedalus and the Colossus, they released the Thunderbird, Savant, Whale, VRoc, Wombat, Colt, VAviar, and Commander. Since the Colossus, they've released the Stud, Mirage, and Makani. It's not like they are just releasing high speed driver after high speed driver. Their releases are all over the map speed-wise.

Also, on their flight chart the Shryke sits between the Groove and Dominator, both notoriously poorly received molds. You could argue that they need to replace both of those with something decent so hopefully this is it. For those arguing that we don't need another Tern, actually the Tern is quite shallow which is one reason I don't throw them. I find something a little deeper like a Destroyer much more comfortable in my somewhat large hands. I wouldn't mind trying out a slightly deeper Tern honestly. Maybe I could buy this disc in Star and get the flight that I get out of my GStar Destroyers in better plastic.

Okay I like the name Shryke WAY better than Shriek honestly. I'm sure this is the disc that the person who posted the Shriek thread was told about; there was just a miscommunication. I do think they are intending it to mean the bird although possibly a more "mythical" version like the Roc.

As to all the people complaining about another Innova high speed driver, I don't understand this complaint unless you just like complaining. Sure, Innova released the Colossus early this year, but before that their last high speed driver release was the Daedalus, which was approved February 2014. Between the Daedalus and the Colossus, they released the Thunderbird, Savant, Whale, VRoc, Wombat, Colt, VAviar, and Commander. Since the Colossus, they've released the Stud, Mirage, and Makani. It's not like they are just releasing high speed driver after high speed driver. Their releases are all over the map speed-wise.

Also, on their flight chart the Shryke sits between the Groove and Dominator, both notoriously poorly received molds. You could argue that they need to replace both of those with something decent so hopefully this is it. For those arguing that we don't need another Tern, actually the Tern is quite shallow which is one reason I don't throw them. I find something a little deeper like a Destroyer much more comfortable in my somewhat large hands. I wouldn't mind trying out a slightly deeper Tern honestly. Maybe I could buy this disc in Star and get the flight that I get out of my GStar Destroyers in better plastic.

All excellent points! Thank you for opening my point of view. :thmbup:

All excellent points! Thank you for opening my point of view. :thmbup:

You haven't been here long, have you? The rules of the interwebz:

1. Always stick with your own opinion!!!
2. If someone presents convincing and logical viewpoints that cause you to rethink your opinion, see rule 1.

Those are really good points...I love the Tern flight but absolutely hate the shallow rim, and won't bag them because of it. A deeper/better feeling bomber would be great.

I'm talking about Innova saturation with tons of speed 13 drivers now, under the Innova name. The reference to Millennium and Discmania was in the context of older proven molds that are dam good discs.

Maybe improve your reading skills, Dan?

I just think it's funny that saturation/overlap is OK if it's a different company/companies, but with Innova it's a bad thing.

Sorry for singling you out, it's just an ongoing issue on here.

IF this were really a longer Tern that would be interesting to me. But I have a hard time believing I'll get much more distance, with the same high level of control I have with the Tern, from one more speed point. Maybe if I had more power.

I'll probably have to try the thing, just like I tried and passed on Colossus and Daedalus.

I just think it's funny that saturation/overlap is OK if it's a different company/companies, but with Innova it's a bad thing.

Sorry for singling you out, it's just an ongoing issue on here.

Okay, I hear what you're saying. But Innova just seems to spit out so many new discs across the spectrum. Other newer companies had lineups to fill out, at least initially.

Latest posts