• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Introduction/Billy's in my bag

shags17

Whats up everybody, my name is Billy and I live in the great state of Montana! Figured this would be a good place to do an introduction and intro to my bag. Also I love these kinds of threads and seeing what everybody else is throwing! Been playing since 2005 and haven't looked back! Onto what this particular sub forum is all about, whats in the bag!

Been using a Mystery Ranch Golf Mahal since 2010 and have no intention of ever owning another bag, I love it and they are indestructable! Loaded up in the bag are:

(2) First Run Star Destroyers, both 175g
(1) Bottom Stamp Star Xcaliber, 172g
(1) 11x Champ Firebird, 172g
(2) Star Teebirds, both 175g
(2) 11x Champ Eagles, both 175g
(1) Star Sidewinder, 172g
(1) Champ Whippet-X, 175g

(2) Rocs, (1) 11x KC Pro and (1) Big Bird stamped DX, both 180g
(1) DX Stingray, 180g
(1) First Run Champ Gator, 175g

(1) Champ Classic Roc, 175g
(5) Aviars, (4) DX, (1) Star, all 175g

There's the bag that I've been playing with for the past two or three years. Glad to be a part of the forum now!

Welcome Billy.

First of all, there is a nice template stickied in this subforum. It would be good to know your throwing style, distance and a quick rundown of how you use the various discs in your bag.

My first observation though is that you have a lot of overstable overlap. The XCal and Destroyers are very similar discs, do you really need both molds? Same for whippet and gator, you can probably do well with one or the other.

bradharris thanks for pointing out the template, I did not see that at first! Can't seem to edit my first post so I will start some of those here. Mostly throw RHBH but also throw RHFH, I would say about 70% BH and 30% FH. I haven't measured my max distance yet this year but the past year it was about 480ft with my Destroyers.

A very, very short breakdown of what I use the discs for:
BH only:
Xcal (Distance drives that finish left)
Teebirds (everything out to about 400')
Sidewinder (turnover drives)
Rocs (upshots up to about 350')
Stingray (turnover, straight shots out to about 300')

Everything:
Destroyers (max D drives backhand and forehand)
Firebird (mostly forehand shots that finish left, some backhand and overhand if I have to)
Eagles (straight forehand shots, some backhand)
Whippet (mostly forehand, very little backhand)
Gator (both forehand and backhand approaches and some shorter drives)
Classic Roc (both forehand and backhand approaches with less finish than Gator)
Aviars (Short hole drives, backhand and forehand approaches, putting)

Pertaining to having both an Xcal and Destroyers in my bag, I have never had a Destroyer as overstable as the Xcals that I have rotated through my bag. The Destroyers are my max D discs on holes when there is little to no wind besides a tail wind. I can always count on the Xcal to come back to the left even in a head wind. IMO they are not similar enough to warrant being able to use one mold for all aspects of driving.

The Whippet and Gator are more of an overlap in theory but being that my Gator is fairly beat for a Gator, and due to the fact of me not extremely liking the newer Gators, I keep the Whippet in my bag for something that will finish harder left than the Gator. I have toyed with taking it out but I just like throwing it so dang much ha ha!

The xcal and the destroyer are very close in flight ratings, but in flight they are nothing alike. Xcal is way way way more overstable than any destroyer I've ever thrown or seen thrown. I too use destroyers for max distance but I throw them for control fh drives as well. I have 4 in my bag right now all 173 but in different plastics DX, Pro, Champ, and Echo star. The DX is the best Anny Bomber I've ever had, I can even roll it pretty far.

I just got a mahal and I can't see needing another bag ever....

i think at one point or another I've thrown everything you named.

The gators and destroyers will never disappoint. Xcals and Destroyers are pretty complimentary when dealing with wind/distance/flex lines.

I have replaced everything but firebirds, destroyers and gators with lat64 or westside plastic as it seems to suit me better.

also I thought of this instantly after reading this thread's title.
tumblr_lkt0d2d6FS1qba443o1_250.gif

Last edited:
scarwig thanks for posting that! Laughed my butt off ha ha! I agree I think the Xcal and Destroyer compliment each other extremely well. The Xcal is definitely a lot more overstable though than the flight charts lead you to believe.

I haven't measured my max distance yet this year but the past year it was about 480ft with my Destroyers.

If I hadn't seen Billy pull this off first-hand, I'd assume this was yet another case of 'internet distance'. Seriously, this dude has a friggin' cannon - I've never seen anyone put a Teebird out as far as he can...

Great getting a deeper look into the rest of your bag, I might have to do this soon myself. :D

Last edited:
I carry both destroyers and Xcals as well...I find I can't push my Xcals (both 172 star, no idea why i still carry both) as far as my destroyers (pro 167 and star 174), but they finish harder and fight wind a bit better.

That would definitely be a beat Firebird to go left on a forehand! Especially considering its an 11x Flat Top Champ! I have seen it turn over to the right from a backhand drive once though! Ripped it into a 40+mph headwind at a tourney a couple years ago, the thing turned over like a dang Sidewinder...

I definitely reach for my Xcal over my Destroyers if there is even a slight headwind. The Destroyers just don't fight the wind like an Xcal does.

Cole thats why I love these types of threads! I like seeing what other people have in their bag besides what you see them throw most of the time on the course!