• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Invictus

Any discmania DD throwers switch or test these out? Curious how the feel and flight compare and differ.

Thunderfire?

Threw my 172 Invictus today and was pretty pleased with the results. Flies like a slightly more OS Thunderbird (comparable to the recent pop top champ thunderbirds). Flies straight for most of the flight then dumps hard at the end.
You say Invictus, I say Starfire

Just a guess but maybe Thunderbird top w/ Starfire X bottom rim and 10 speed core? The PDx is Anhyzer top w/ Starfire X bottom rim and 10 speed core. I don't have one in hand but anyone could confirm the Invictus core matches if the 'A' in INNOVA has a significant drop out from the embossing.

Looks like the Invictus took the place of the Starfire on the Innova website. I don't remember seeing a 'new' run of Starfire since I began playing so whatever stock is out there is 4+ years old (not a hot seller & likely OOP at this point). PDx won't be produced in regular stock plastics/runs (C-Line was only in regular production for a year).

That leaves the Invictus going forward as the true 10-11 speed OS driver in regular production with stock availability from Innova (Star & GStar at this point). 2020 Innova Catalog shows more limited weight ranges from 165-175g only. Similar to the Pro Starfire L, the GStar Invictus has adjusted flight numbers to 10/5/-1/2 - maybe a different mold piece or just the plastic? I'll try to look closely next time I visit my local shop. I remember picking one or two up at different points this year but never felt the sharp bottom flashing that the PDx and Starfire X bottom rim have.

has anyone had more time with this disc yet and able to share comments?

im getting back into the game after years of off/on play and looking for a current production mold to replace my old beloved teerex and monster

im a fh driver and use a beat up pfn star destroyer and newer star destroyer for my longest drives

i used to have a teerex that was a chest high lazerbeam to 300-325 that i lost and the only replacements ive found are too beat in and flip over on me

i have a pro monster that i power down a notch and throw chest high lazer to 275 but anything more and its overpowered

im looking for a current production 300ish range disc to replace the teerex and monster as eventually mine will change as they all do

is the invictus this disc?
how does the starfire or sl compare? slower?

its my understanding that the monster i have is an L wing, and the teerex had a few different molds and i dont know what mine was although it was labeled teerex and pfn star, the current ones i have are the same but fly far less stable

i picked up a new star firebird and its not really what im looking for, its great for utility but it doesnt feel like a real driver in hand to me

thoughts anyone?

has anyone had more time with this disc yet and able to share comments?

im getting back into the game after years of off/on play and looking for a current production mold to replace my old beloved teerex and monster

im a fh driver and use a beat up pfn star destroyer and newer star destroyer for my longest drives

i used to have a teerex that was a chest high lazerbeam to 300-325 that i lost and the only replacements ive found are too beat in and flip over on me

i have a pro monster that i power down a notch and throw chest high lazer to 275 but anything more and its overpowered

im looking for a current production 300ish range disc to replace the teerex and monster as eventually mine will change as they all do

is the invictus this disc?
how does the starfire or sl compare? slower?

its my understanding that the monster i have is an L wing, and the teerex had a few different molds and i dont know what mine was although it was labeled teerex and pfn star, the current ones i have are the same but fly far less stable

i picked up a new star firebird and its not really what im looking for, its great for utility but it doesnt feel like a real driver in hand to me

thoughts anyone?

learn to throw slower discs

I got a couple F2 Invictus to try out (Champ and Star 175g) and my prior post was dead on. The Invictus is to Thunderbird as PDx is to PD. Looks like the Invictus/PDx share the same top as the lower speed mold. Bottom is shared between the Invictus and PDx and does have a bit of the sharp flashing I remember from the PDx when new. Flight is very similar to the PDx and held up to the wind pretty well (better than the Starfire) with better hand feel. I asked for flatter ones and they both are mild dome and fly pretty true to the numbers with the flashing mostly intact.

Tried an Invictus out for the first time today. Star, 173-5. Nice dome on the disc, definitely not flat.

From day 1 I wondered how the Invictus would differ from the Starfire, since both have the same flight numbers. I brought a star Starfire (173g) along to compare with. Upon visual inspection, I noticed that the Starfire is flatter and the rim is slightly sharper than that of the Invictus. The Invictus has a rim more like a Firebird, and feels like a Firebird when you hold/throw it.

The Invictus is definitely beefier than the Starfire. Neither disc turns, but the Invictus fades out sooner and a little harder than the Starfire. The Starfire ended up being about 25' longer consistently. The Starfire penetrated better, but seemed a little flaky into headwinds. The Invictus had a way more assertive late fade.

Overall thoughts: The Invictus is rated at 10, 4, 0, 3, and I feel like it flies pretty true to those numbers. The disc is overstable, but isn't a completely glideless pig. I feel like the Invictus sits perfectly between the Starfire and Firebird as far as distance and stability are concerned. The Invictus glides better and doesn't fade quite as harshly as a Firebird, but is beefier and shorter than the Starfire.

I really enjoyed throwing the Invictus, and it produced good results. Great disc for 350'ish shots where accuracy is an absolute must. I found I could rip the Invictus hard, flat, and right of the target and let the disc work its way left at the end of flight. The Invictus can be pushed hard without wiggling right, and will respond with decent distance. Perfect for Firebird shots where a little more distance is needed. The Invictus also flew well on anny lines, and produced nice S curves before fading fairly hard. Top distance was maybe 360'. I wasn't really out there trying to smash the Invictus. It covers ground pretty nicely on high, anny lines. Not a bomber disc.

Invictus: 10, 4, 0, 3. I'm going to stick with the factory numbers, even though the Starfire shares those numbers. The only real difference between the Starfire and Invictus in flight is that the Invictus fades out sooner than the Starfire. The Invictus is a great disc for hard throwers, and wasn't affected by headwinds much. Reminds me a lot of a slightly faster, longer Firebird that doesn't fade quite as hard.

Last edited:
Perfect for Firebird shots where a little more distance is needed. The Invictus also flew well on anny lines, and produced nice S curves before fading fairly hard. Top distance was maybe 360'.

I agree with everything you wrote, and this in particular. I actually bag an Invictus but I put Warhorse in my sig because they perform identically for me, and I don't want to be typecast as an Innova thrower.

I agree with everything you wrote, and this in particular. I actually bag an Invictus but I put Warhorse in my sig because they perform identically for me, and I don't want to be typecast as an Innova thrower.

I might have to pull out the Warhorse and see what it does vs the Invictus. I haven't thrown the Warhorse in a while, but I'm pretty sure it'll end up being at least somewhat longer simply for the fact that it's a couple speeds faster than the Invictus.

I might have to pull out the Warhorse and see what it does vs the Invictus. I haven't thrown the Warhorse in a while, but I'm pretty sure it'll end up being at least somewhat longer simply for the fact that it's a couple speeds faster than the Invictus.

I'm super curious to hear. I base my observation on over twenty throws each, thinking that they each will be, essentially, bigger sticks with inexorable fade. For me, they landed within feet of each other so often, and did the same thing in terms of shape and wind reaction...

I tend to lean into this type of disc for FH or scary headwind.

I should bust out that proto Adder from the Westside box and see if it's the same.

Heck, might as well get out my GG Wraith (this particular disc think Invictus, not Wraith) and Panic too, make it an official taste test. What else (besides Starfire) fits the bill of mad-stable but good distance?

Heck, might as well get out my GG Wraith (this particular disc think Invictus, not Wraith) and Panic too, make it an official taste test. What else (besides Starfire) fits the bill of mad-stable but good distance?

XCal and Ape. I've been bagging a Nuke OS lately for overstable distance. It'll outfly the Invictus easily since it's several speeds faster.

I've been trying to keep the Invictus quiet so they don't sell out - I'm just glad Ricky hasn't put his name on them and kept it on the Destroyer even though I think he throws a lot of Invictus's for many OS Destroyer shots.

It really is true to what you've said, and I would add that it doesn't skip as far as FBs when I throw it flat. I recently got a 158 to see if I could work some additional lines than the 175 covers but haven't taken it out much yet.

Invictus vs Warhorse

Someone mentioned they threw the Invictus alongside a Warhorse, so I decided to do the same thing today in the field. Invictus is star, 173-5g. Warhorse is tournament plastic, 172g.

I'll keep this fairly short and just say that these two discs flew more similarly than I anticipated. Neither turned, but I was able to hammer them anny for some fairly long flex shots. On average the Warhorse outflew the Invictus by 10-20'. A couple times they were equal. The Warhorse holds a flat line longer than the Invictus, and the fade isn't quite as severe.

Top distance with the Warhorse was probably 375'. That disc covers ground better than you'd think for an overstable flier.

You could actually bag both the Invictus and Warhorse if you wanted to. Both do the same general thing, but the Warhorse is regularly longer.

Latest posts