• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is it ethical for pros to play in their local tournaments?

Only thing I see w to be a flaw is if the Pro/National Tour touring pro has set up the tournament is the Tournament director and then plays it, even worse if they had designed/modified the actual the course to their unique playing style not just the tournament to have OB and mandatory's to what the Touring Pro does play best. This is unfair bending of rules in the way they were probably not really designed to be used in most circumstance.

Thats exactly what im talking about but some TDs on here are getting upset with me...but it should help keep the thread interesting.

Everyone cant agree all the damn time

I wouldnt dare question how difficult it is to be a TD BUT its pretty crazy that they can take a break during said job and compete in the tournament.

I wish all jobs had that luxury....

Wonder how much hate i will get from this lol

Last edited:
TDs are not going to be running tournaments for free for very much longer. If you TD a tournament you should get some $$ for it. Running a tournament is definitely "giving back" even if they get paid for it.

I agree, most other sports the TD gets paid or at least calling it compensation cash if paying Tournament directors in any way is illegal per the current rules. Hey the Pro Tour owner gets paid to help put on the tour full time but the TD for the specific tournament does not get paid most of the time. Now a few rare examples of TD getting paid by the money from the Tournament left over is fine as PDGA can't do this payment yet as seeing how many tours they have to how many PDGA players $$ their are. Being allowed to use some the funds left at end of tournament to have a small 5% payment is right for TD and assistants and sending the rest of the money to the tournament the next year should work if the tournament was not a really small people tournament with low entry fees.

Thats exactly what im talking about but some TDs on here are getting upset with me...but it should help keep the thread interesting.

Everyone cant agree all the damn time

I wouldnt dare question how difficult it is to be a TD BUT its pretty crazy that they can take a break during said job and compete in the tournament.

I wish all jobs had that luxury....

Wonder how much hate i will get from this lol

No hate from me but an fyi, most of the work happens the months prior to the tournament. The day of they deserve a break if they can swing it. Most do not play because of the difficulty of TDing and playing the same tournament.

No hate from me but an fyi, most of the work happens the months prior to the tournament. The day of they deserve a break if they can swing it. Most do not play because of the difficulty of TDing and playing the same tournament.

I understand this. My initial post was about the feldberg tourney. I just feel conflicted over that situation. Not any 1 part, but when u put it all together..

Its like going to a concert because your favorite band is playing, u get to hear music from some amatuer bands but you never got to see your favorite band play.

A few local talented instrumentalist that hung out near your fav band, got to hear/see them play.

Then your band leaves town with a bunch of money from merch and appearance fees.

If a person runs a tournament, few complain. At least, if he runs it well. (OK, a few complain no matter what, but not that someone ran the tournament).

If a person plays in a tournament, and wins it, no one complains. Other than the few who cry "bagger" and complain that he was too good.

If a person runs a tournament and plays in it, no one complains. As long as the tournament runs well. Usually, there are no TD duties during the actual rounds; he could take a nap, for all anyone cares. (The main precaution is having another official to make rulings for the TDs division.)

I'm not sure why it makes a difference if the TD plays, and wins.

It seems to me that the touring pro who runs a tournament, and wins, is giving back more than the touring pro who just shows up for a tournament, and wins. Running a tournament is a chore, and a headache, and he doesn't have to do it. Lord knows, most don't.

Plus, it may give him some perspective in the future, to go a little lighter on other TDs.

If a person plays in a tournament, and wins it, no one complains. Other than the few who cry "bagger" and complain that he was too good.

I'll make this short. OK....I'll try to make it short. :D

I've only ever played one sanctioned singles tournament. I played in Rec since it was my first tourney. I also compared rounds that I had played at courses that had also had tourneys to see how my scores lined up. So it seemed like Rec was the best place for me to start.

It ends up that I won my division and my rounds ultimately ended up being rated at 935. Later, I heard that the TD had referred to me not just as a bagger, but as a Super Bagger. Hearing that irritated me as I had done my homework regarding the division to play in and I had played very well. So I was 100% comfortable with my choice and very pleased with the win.

What does this have to do with the thread you ask? The TD played and won the MPO division. LOL.

Now I didn't hear anyone complaining, and it was a well run tournament. Plus, after he heard my story he was totally understanding. So it was good all the way around. It was just amusing to me.

And now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Running a tournament and winning a tournament have nothing to do with one another, given the tournament operations meet all PDGA tier requirements/standards.

If 100 people play in a tournament and one is the TD, then the 99 should appreciate the 1. They should 1) generally keep their mouths shut and 2) find reasons for their loss to the TD in their own games and/or just admit they got beat.

The vast majority of people at a tournament lose, and the vast majority of tournament players lose the vast majority of the tournaments they play.

Finally, the MPO competitor who comes in last should have to TD next year's tournament!

Only thing I see w to be a flaw is if the Pro/National Tour touring pro has set up the tournament is the Tournament director and then plays it, even worse if they had designed/modified the actual the course to their unique playing style not just the tournament to have OB and mandatory's to what the Touring Pro does play best. This is unfair bending of rules in the way they were probably not really designed to be used in most circumstance.

Let's take this shocking potential TD abuse on a step.

What if...shock horror... someone spent years of their life lobbying councils, raising funds, walking through dense woodland, spent days and weeks cutting down fairways and organising working groups, poured the concrete, set the signs and baskets and at the end of all this created a course for all the community to use that, and I can't believe I'm going to say this as it shocks me that people can be so vile, played to their abilities.

They then organised a tournament out there, spending more hours of their evil lives to create something fun for loads more people.

And then after all that selfish, selfcentred nastiness, guess what , they won the damned thing?!

Egregious I call it. Ban the TD's, ban the course creators, they're the worst kinds of humanity.

Of course once you get to A tier and above those evil, evil TD's aren't allowed to play in their own events anyway....

But, oh no, what if they've thought of that roadblock to their dastardly plans? What if they set the course up for their proxy player instead? Hell they may even make spurious TD calls on behalf of the proxy as well and then split their tens of dollars equally when the proxy wins. What lows will these people stoop too next? '

It can be very easy reading these threads to find the people that have never TD'd a tournament or created a new course or set up a tournament course... before you criticise get out there and get some experience of what you're talking about.

Years back, I read somewhere that sponsors structure bonuses in a way that penalizes pros for playing b and c tiers. Never got the deets.

Let's take this shocking potential TD abuse on a step.

What if...shock horror... someone spent years of their life lobbying councils, raising funds, walking through dense woodland, spent days and weeks cutting down fairways and organising working groups, poured the concrete, set the signs and baskets and at the end of all this created a course for all the community to use that, and I can't believe I'm going to say this as it shocks me that people can be so vile, played to their abilities.

They then organised a tournament out there, spending more hours of their evil lives to create something fun for loads more people.

And then after all that selfish, selfcentred nastiness, guess what , they won the damned thing?!

Egregious I call it. Ban the TD's, ban the course creators, they're the worst kinds of humanity.

Of course once you get to A tier and above those evil, evil TD's aren't allowed to play in their own events anyway....

But, oh no, what if they've thought of that roadblock to their dastardly plans? What if they set the course up for their proxy player instead? Hell they may even make spurious TD calls on behalf of the proxy as well and then split their tens of dollars equally when the proxy wins. What lows will these people stoop too next? '

It can be very easy reading these threads to find the people that have never TD'd a tournament or created a new course or set up a tournament course... before you criticise get out there and get some experience of what you're talking about.

We got a guy like that round here. That sumbitch has installed 4 courses, and runs leagues and tourneys on em! It's unreal the lengths people will go to win at disc golf. I say if winnings that important to ya, just lop it off and play FPO.

I have never seen a "pro" doing course maintenance or picking up trash.
Thats what i want to see...

I'd like to introduce you to Brad Schick. He just won back-to-back US Masters. He is a Columbus local. He regularly posts asking locals to come and help him clean up local courses. He gives lessons on the cheap and gives you a quality Buzzz/Zeus/etc. as a bonus. He comments encouraging remarks from the newbie getting their first ace to the local up-and-coming kid who pops off a hot round at a big event. Pros like you want are out there.

Years back, I read somewhere that sponsors structure bonuses in a way that penalizes pros for playing b and c tiers. Never got the deets.

What are deets? Is that an STD? What do deets have to do with disc golf? Is it like the yips? How did you avoid getting the deets? Is there a vaccine for the deets?

I have never seen a "pro" doing course maintenance or picking up trash.
Thats what i want to see...

Its an illusion to think the "pro" running a tourney in your small town is a way to give back. Its just a way to make money off you.

World Champ Elaine King has been to many work days in my area. She can rip vines out of trees like you can't believe. She even helped with the installation of River Bend park and Diavolo.

Latest posts