• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is there a limit to the number of discs you can carry?

HumanTF

I know traditional golf limits the number of clubs you can carry in a round.

Is it the same for disc golf?

HumanTF said:
I know traditional golf limits the number of clubs you can carry in a round.

Is it the same for disc golf?

I don't believe so, no.

the only limitations to discs carried is that they must conform to the technical standards. Quantity is not limited, except for how much your body can tote around.

Chuck Kennedy said:
You can even borrow, buy or add discs from your car to your bag during a round.

What are Things I have done that have confused/angered people before for 200 Alex?

Frank Delicious said:
Chuck Kennedy said:

What are Things I have done that have confused/angered people before for 200 Alex?

I literally laughed out loud at this.

Chuck Kennedy said:

Doesn't this seem...exploitable?

IDK, I like the idea of a more regulated bag size for tournaments. Limiting the number of discs you can carry would impose a new level of strategy and course wisdom. Shot/disc selection would become very technical.

HumanTF said:
Chuck Kennedy said:

Doesn't this seem...exploitable?

IDK, I like the idea of a more regulated bag size for tournaments. Limiting the number of discs you can carry would impose a new level of strategy and course wisdom. Shot/disc selection would become very technical.
this has been kicked around on this site several times. While i like the idea of setting a number of disc that can be carried I was very much in the minority on this site.

We have a different issue than ball golf has here. If you hit a shot in ball golf and it goes swimming, you drop another at the drop zone/tee. If you throw a disc into the lake you do the same thing, but you've essentially just thrown your club into the lake as well as the ball. Having backups is more important in our sport. Plus there's the factor of having discs in multiple sgtages of beat in.

Personally, I carry 21 and could ditch about 6 of them and be fine. I understand Feldberg sometimes carries in the low 40s in that Zulu bag of his. While this sucks for his caddy, it means he's prepared for anything that might crop up in the round. It's trickier establishing a limit to # of discs due to the reasons I stated above so my guess is that the board has chosen to leave it alone rather than define a number.

i get the you just threw your club in the water thing how much water do we really play around in disc golf. i have played near feldy and he carries 50 some discs. i think a limit of say 15 would be a good idea. i think it would give you plenty of clubs to throw in the water and still have enough to finish the round. there is also a limit on how many balls you can use in ball golf.

Players almost never lose clubs in ball golf, while disc golfers regularly lose discs because there are many places and many different ways to lose a disc other than just in the water. I don't see the advantage to limiting the number of discs for disc golf. In ball golf, there are a relatively finite number of clubs that have specific duties, and carrying more than 14 clubs doesn't add much of an advantage or disadvantage. In disc golf, on the other hand, we have a large number of types of discs that are meant to do drastically different things, so there is a need for a larger variety. It would also be very difficult to set a number for the limit because players have drastically different ideas of what to carry. For example, I think it would be impossible to carry a complete bag with a limit of 15 discs. I like to carry 2 putting putters, throwing putters, mid range, short control driver, long control driver, all out distance, and a couple of utility discs (like a predator). If you carry 3x of each category (left, straight, and right, except putting putters and utility) then you're well over 15 with just the basic needs being met.

money 21 said:
i get the you just threw your club in the water thing how much water do we really play around in disc golf.

I would like to introduce you to two good friends of mine, Cliff Stephens and John Taylor.

HumanTF said:
Re: Is there a limit to the number of discs you can carry?

Yeah, I can only manage to carry maybe 90 or so, but I would need a Steve Rico triple-decker bag to do it. But I think I could just get a bunch of caddies to also come (is there a limit?), each of them also carrying a 90-disc rig, so maybe could bring over 500 discs. That would be fun, break the record for how many discs are brought out on the course for a tournament round, using a different disc for each throw to try and distribute use around the different bags.

Limiting the number of ball golf clubs is a better analogy to limiting the number of people that can throw for a score (ind, dbls, etc.) You get clubs that are better at different "release angles". Some clubs have more "snap" than others (some even have better "arm speed"). Some can "throw" uphill better. Some clubs are better at "hyzers", some better at "anhyzers".

Thanks

This thread brings up a special memory.
Mr. Steve Dodge made a visit to our little Southern Nationals event in 2010, the Pot of Gold.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B_j2t19BhE
He threw a disc in the drink on the Vibram sponsored hole.
As the TD with nothing better to do, I asked Steve what disc he just lost.
He informed me of his recent loss and even provided the weight.
As any TD would do for a top sponsor of the event,
I went over to Mr. Jim Orum's Sky South trailer
http://www.ebay.com/sch/skysouth4733/m.html?item=36036
and purchased a replacement.
Mr. Dodge was speechless (quite a feat in itself)
he has also listed the Pot of Gold as one of his favorite tournaments.

Little actions make a big difference
steve timm
NOTeam