• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is there money to be made in disc golf

I'm sure that the sponsorship letter we get every year is a standard letter. Bonuses are given out for wins and entry fees get reimbursed for wins in A Tiers and NT's. Obviously the top players have some extra incentives but in reality there are less than 20 Elite players in the world. Each player gets a certain number of discs supplied to them and as a Discraft sponsored player we can purchase discs at the 1000 piece price.

Zactly!

I remember watching snowboarders as I rode up the lift and thinking, "That's what I want to do". Skateboarding had been a part of my life for a while and it seem natural to me. During the middle of the '90-'91 season my income tax return bought a board and boots. Even without previously trying to ride one I knew I wanted one.

I'm pretty sure not too many kids who happen to be driving through the park with their parents are going to be drawn to the "CHUCKER" style.

Snowboarding is more fun than skiing. That is why it is mainstream. Skiers (and their money) already existed their kids just started crying for snowboards instead of skis.

Wrong I work in the industry it may be true that snowboarding was starting to come around but the olympics and Shawn White made it what it is today. Snowboarding is IMO more entertaining to watch than DG. Don't get me wrong I am watching clips from the Ero Open right now and enjoying it. But people see the risk in snowboarding and the tricks & crashes are awesome to watch..

I do think snowboarding is way more fun than skiing but thats not why it grew...

What I said about the olympics is coming from a marketing stand point. It brings the sport to the masses that is what has made snowboarding grow so fast...

Zactly!

I remember watching snowboarders as I rode up the lift and thinking, "That's what I want to do". Skateboarding had been a part of my life for a while and it seem natural to me. During the middle of the '90-'91 season my income tax return bought a board and boots. Even without previously trying to ride one I knew I wanted one.

I'm pretty sure not too many kids who happen to be driving through the park with their parents are going to be drawn to the "CHUCKER" style.

This is my point you were already at the ski hill and a skateboarder. The olympics brought snowboarding to people who had never seen it before...

Wrong I work in the industry it may be true that snowboarding was starting to come around but the olympics and Shawn White made it what it is today. Snowboarding is IMO more entertaining to watch than DG. Don't get me wrong I am watching clips from the Ero Open right now and enjoying it. But people see the risk in snowboarding and the tricks & crashes are awesome to watch..

Shawn Palmer, maybe. White is top notch, but those early dudes made people notice.

Shawn Palmer, maybe. White is top notch, but those early dudes made people notice.

Once again much love to Shawn Plamer but he didn't effect the industry in the same way as White has. There is no dought that without Palmer snowboarding would not be where it is but Shawn is the one who is making it main stream (even though he is a big DB). Palmer is one of the coolest guys I have ever met but he didn't bring it to the main stage like White.

I was the assistant Palmer rep for 4 years so I do have much love for Palmer and his brand....

Necro bump... Randomly came across this thread, it was an interesting read in light of recent news.

This is my first year playing disc golf and until this year I really didn't know how big this sport is. Can someone actually make money from playing this game or is it completely recreational?

Probably in the future. In the immediate future (next 10 years?), that's a gamble.

People making the money are the manufacturers, not small fry. Doubt even the top 5 current future HoF will retire free and clear.

Just like any other niche sport. LaCrosse, handball, and all that.

Last edited:
If you take it serious and get up to the professional level and get a sponsorship there is money to be made,not sure how much but its had

Latest posts