• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

It's a quiet Saturday night so...footwear?

These

25729007_w.jpg

I've got a pair of these I use for work, never thought to try 'em for DG. Great shoes, I can be on my feet all day and have no issues!

I tend to bounce between Keen Newports on any courses with a lot of water and rougher terrain. And more open courses, I wear a pair of Columbia Drainmaker's (http://www.columbia.com/Men's-Drainmaker™/BM3673,default,pd.html). They offer more arch support, usually my go-to's if I'm playing multiple rounds back to back.

It's summer, so Adidas Kanadia TR are my go-to for now. The big bonus is that they don't come in any sane colors, so everyone who notices your feet knows you're nuts. I've found that these are great off of concrete and plastic tees and work well from the grass / dirt to provide good grip, but still allow you to follow through without slipping on the tee.

Any other time of the year it's Merrell of some sort. My absolute favorites (if I'm not walking through lots of mud or that cold white crap) are the Merrell Chameleon series. Fit like a glove, super-comfortable, and better support than the barefoot series. My last pair of these lasted 1.5 years of wearing them at least 5 days a week, and I didn't throw them out until I wore through the bottom tread.

Shoe1_zps1a6d3407.jpg

Been using these for 2 weeks now. So far, so great! They are a bit narrow, but my feet are narrow so thats OK. Very lightweight, they have an aggressive tread that cleans itself well, and the lacing system stays in place (through 2 rounds at least). I know it's only been 2 weeks, but they show absolutely no signs of wear (not even a scuff on the tread). My biggest issue was what to do with the excess lace after they are tightened... Salomons hace the tongue pouch, but these just have the little loop. I just loop them under then back up towards the top of the tongue and back under the top lace and no problems.

5.10 Camp Four

While not waterproof. These shoes have held up better than any other I have used, Merrell, Patagonia, North Face. Dew on grass is fine, just not made for rain.

i wear vibram komodosport LS, vibram bikila, new balance minimus zero.

unfortunately, after just one year of disc golf, the komodo LS toebox has ripped open due to sticks/debris getting stuck between the toe and my bikilas are starting to do the same. the new balance minimus sole is down to nothing and only the EVA foam is left so i can't wear them.

so i took to wearing the shoes i bought for barbacking, my redwing 8672. incredibly gummy soles for great slip resistance, pretty much waterproof, and after having gotten a ton of chemical cleaners splashed on them and soaked with alcohol, trash juice and whatever else was in that bar . . . they look just fine. even the shards of glass in the soles of the shoes popped out and they're fine.

i noticed a couple things right away, though - i can't throw very well in these shoes; i feel too far off the ground, haha. however, it's funny that vibram makes a sole for a shoe better than the soles on their own fivefingers. i can't wait for a truly sticky, beefy sole on the five fingers. that spyridon and the trek don't have me convinced at all. i want my feet to stop spinning on the teepads. they need to make a true barefoot/hiking hybrid, similar to the inov8 bare-grip, but maybe with a little less emphasis on the lugs for sure. i'd buy the **** outta that, especially if they do a full rubber wrap-around to get rid of the seams ripping out due to debris between the toes.

Last edited:
I am an avid fan of the Adidas Sg2000 Shell Toes. They are a basketball shoe with a fully covered toe. They are extremely comfortable, provide great arch suppurt, grip quite well even on wet concrete. The pair I have now I have had for over a year and put through their paces. They are holding up great. They are widely availiable and usually decently priced.

I've burned through 2 pairs of Salomons and 1 pair of Asics since I started playing a year ago. I guess the twisting is causing them to rip apart at the seams. I went to Walmart tonight and picked up these. We'll see if I got what I paid for, but I can't keep going through expensive shoes.

Grabbed a pair of Keen Targhee IIs on Saturday afternoon, right before second round of the day. Sneakers are about to disintegrate and left me w/cramps every night when I had played earlier.

Trying to break them in before my first tourney this Sat. I (obviously) wear shoes until they are expired and am a big guy, but I have high hopes for these. Good support and, if you can believe it, provide much better protection from water then my torn-up mesh sneakers, haha. Will have to remember to post back w/updates b/c I'm going to put these things thru heck this winter.

I use these for flat , dry courses New Balance 811 All Terrain

I use these for courses with hills, or when it starts to turn cool. Keens

When its cold, or the course is wet, nothing beats my New Balance 1201 Hiking Boots with Gortex, and Vibram soles

I have yet to find anything that holds up well. I am 250lb and typically drag the ball of my non-plant foot. Only shoe that really addresses this so far is the Keen Delaveaga, which has a lug of near solid rubber there. Have not found any in my size at reasonable pricing.

I have also been eyeing the Keen Ketchum boots.

Got caught up by a couple sales though:
-REI has North Face Hedgehogs talls for under$100
Picked up a pair. Super comfy, Goretex liner and Vibram sole
The drag section is showing wear pretty quick due to the small knobs
-BlueSky has some good Five Ten deals
Grabbed a pair of urban enforcers for $50
They are in transit, so no comment on durability yet
Grabbed a pair of Spitfire lows for $35
Also in transit

I have been wearing timberland boots. My steal toe construction type have blown out in under a month(sole delamination). My hikinh boots are holding up better, but are having sole wear and delam at toe(they are already over a year old, so I give them a pass).

I took a page out of Paul Mcbeths book and i wear Salomons, great grip and build quality, these things are great

Grabbed a pair of Keen Targhee IIs on Saturday afternoon, right before second round of the day. Sneakers are about to disintegrate and left me w/cramps every night when I had played earlier.

Trying to break them in before my first tourney this Sat. I (obviously) wear shoes until they are expired and am a big guy, but I have high hopes for these. Good support and, if you can believe it, provide much better protection from water then my torn-up mesh sneakers, haha. Will have to remember to post back w/updates b/c I'm going to put these things thru heck this winter.

UPDATE

I had some sole separation after about 5 days. Long story short, Academy took 'em back, no hassle. Also, these run a little small, a discovery I only made after some wear and reading Keen's own site. Ordered next size up from Zappos, arrived THE VERY NEXT DAY.

I feel like it was a fluke thing with the first pair as the new ones are built bullet-proof (same as the first ones, minus one area).

Definitely waterproof. Been ankle-high in the creek and bone-dry 10 paces later.

Warm and dry, I'll go with my new pair of New Balance running shoes. Unsure terrain, rain, dew, etc - definitely still a big fan of the Keens.

UPDATE

I had some sole separation after about 5 days. Long story short, Academy took 'em back, no hassle. Also, these run a little small, a discovery I only made after some wear and reading Keen's own site. Ordered next size up from Zappos, arrived THE VERY NEXT DAY.

I had a similar situation with my Voyagers. The first pair I bought separated within a week. The second pair separated within two weeks. After the failiure of the second pair I asked for a refund instead of a exchange. I think the problem was centered around the design of the tread on the sole...

With the refund money I bought a pair of Keen Marshall WP which have a full wrap around tread and sole. It has been a little over a month and I have had no problems.

I also bought a pair of Ahnu Moragas. I think I like them better the the Keens. Awesome shoe.

I got a pair of Vasque Juxt's on sale at REI about a month and a half ago that are very comfortable and are holding up very well. I tried some minimalist shoes for a while that killed my feet, so I switched back to a hiking shoe and these are holding up tremendously. So far I've played two tournaments in them as well as the 5-8 rounds per week I've been playing lately and have no obvious signs of wear. Check 'em out.

I got me a pair of the Merrell Trail Glove 2's. I LOVE them. They weigh virtually nothing, have vibram soles, and are super comfortable. Not water proof, but made to dry quickly. This was my first stab at the minimalist shoe, zero drop, hippie shoes. I know they're not for everyone, but they've turned into my favorite DG shoes along with just bein my every day sneaks. Had to wear'm for a week to get used to the space in the toe box. It wasn't uncomfortable, just different than what I was used to.

i'm a long time keen wearer but i got a pair of oboz for christmas in 2011 and they have last two years of winter/spring golf. i loved them so much i got a pair of light hiking shoes this summer and they have lasted longer than any pair of keen i've owned. check them out.

Oboz Yellowstone BDTY: http://obozfootwear.com/products/mens-yellowstone-ii-2/black-3/

Oboz Sawtooth Low: http://obozfootwear.com/products/mens-sawtooth-low/charcoal-sawtooth/

A little pricey , but very cool looking shoes. I wear my Keen hiking boots in the winter/spring, and I wear these in the summer. Only paid $40 for them at the New Balance Factory Store

Latest posts