• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

It's a quiet Saturday night so...footwear?

Anybody else notice that Merrells are absolute crap now? First couple of pairs I had held up really well, and the last couple I've had fell apart really quickly. :\ :\

Stupid planned obsolescence. :mad:

Anybody else notice that Merrells are absolute crap now? First couple of pairs I had held up really well, and the last couple I've had fell apart really quickly. :\ :\

I am glad I didn't buy them. I was, but they didn't have them in my size. I bought the Keens and I am very happy with them

Got caught up by a couple sales though:
-REI has North Face Hedgehogs talls for under$100
Picked up a pair. Super comfy, Goretex liner and Vibram sole
The drag section is showing wear pretty quick due to the small knobs
-BlueSky has some good Five Ten deals
Grabbed a pair of urban enforcers for $50
They are in transit, so no comment on durability yet).

Hedgehogs still wearing pretty fast in drag zones, but otherwise seem solid. Gore liner is the bomb. Comfort is 2nd to nothing I have had in a boot.

The 5-10 is looking like a bust. Played one round and the sole is already beginning to delaminate at the edge of the toe box. I have downgraded them to casual shoes instead of destroying them with a month of disc golf play.

I have been wearing a pair of Moab Ventillators for the past year. I'm on my feet all day at work, so these have seen pretty heavy use. They have held up great. With that said, I'm not sure that I'd buy another pair. It sounds like a crap-shoot whether or not you will get a good pair. I did purchase mine at an actual store, and not online. Wonder if that makes a difference?

Merrells are definitely a crapshoot in my experience. On the positive side, if you get a bad pair you can get Merrell to replace them for free pretty easily.

I got me a pair of the Merrell Trail Glove 2's. I LOVE them. They weigh virtually nothing, have vibram soles, and are super comfortable. Not water proof, but made to dry quickly. This was my first stab at the minimalist shoe, zero drop, hippie shoes. I know they're not for everyone, but they've turned into my favorite DG shoes along with just bein my every day sneaks. Had to wear'm for a week to get used to the space in the toe box. It wasn't uncomfortable, just different than what I was used to.
I've been pondering something like these for my next shoe purchase. I'm dubious of the thinner soles holding up but I wonder if being lighter on my feet would reduce friction against the tee pad?

Last edited:
I got some New Balance 889's and they are superb so far. They run a tad short and narrow though. I normally wear a 9.5 Wide and got 10 4E and they fit great. Vibram sole is working out great on concrete, grass, dirt. I sprayed some waterproofer on them and my feet have yet to get wet in 5-6 rounds of dewey grass. I plan to recoat them every week or 2 depending on use. They are on sale for 59.95 around the Net. Got mine from Amazon with free shipping. I highly recommend these shoes.

Whats everyone wearing for the winter? I'm going to play in a winter league this year, and need some new boots.

I wear these in the winter and they keep my feet warm and dry:

New Balance 1201 with Gortex

i just wear my old Danner Explorers. keep my feet warm, dry, and on a cloud.

Yup. I've got my old pair of military issue Danners, and they are a dream to wear in the winter. I'll rock those after the Delavegas I got from theclymb (70 bucks after shipping!) aren't cutting it anymore.

A local shop had some pretty good deals going on, and I picked up a pair of Northface Snowsqualls for $70. They are lightweight and comfortable. We'll see how they hold up.

I have Northface shoes. they are great. Waterproof, and pretty much indestructible. I would wear out a pair of Salomons in about 2 months. I have had these for a year.

Ordered a pair of teva riva events with vibram soles, looking forward to trying them out next week.

I have worn northface shoes the last few years.
They are the only thing I could find, that fit me right and were comfortable.
I have very narrow feet, and every time I bought new shoes I would try on a bunch of other brands with no luck.
The northface were only lasting me a year or less.
Last night I found a pair of tevas that fit pretty well so I got them.
We will see how long they last.

I have a pair of Columbia hiking boots that have lasted me two full season of golf. I keep waiting for them to rip out, or the toe to go, but they keep going like a champ.

I used to normally go through a pair of cross trainers or off-brand hikers in about 3 - 6 months.

I live near Portland, OR and attempted to hit up the local course yesterday. After the first hole, my converse were soaked through. :doh:

I should have known better living in the NW! I don't have a lot of cash right now so I have been on the lookout for a secondhand pair of waterproof hiking shoes.

Is there an extremely affordable and available option out there for waterproof shoes? I'm thinking <$50 and available in retail or on amazon etc.

Is there an extremely affordable and available option out there for waterproof shoes? I'm thinking <$50 and available in retail or on amazon etc.

There is a thread about some Keen shoes for $40. Follow the link on the thread and then they direct you to call to order.

EDIT:DOH! Looks like the sale on those Keen Marshall's ended. Maybe look around on 6pm.com?

There is a thread about some Keen shoes for $40. Follow the link on the thread and then they direct you to call to order.

EDIT:DOH! Looks like the sale on those Keen Marshall's ended. Maybe look around on 6pm.com?

I'm headed to my neighborhood Fred Meyer to check out some basic Nevados or something. I'm not a real serious hiker or anything.

I'll also check 6pm.com. I was not real impressed by amazon.com.

I might have commented earlier in the thread but have you guys considered Salomons.. They're GREAT for DG , awesome grip without being too heavy

I live near Portland, OR and attempted to hit up the local course yesterday. After the first hole, my converse were soaked through. :doh:

I should have known better living in the NW! I don't have a lot of cash right now so I have been on the lookout for a secondhand pair of waterproof hiking shoes.

This is what I wear and they keep my feet nice and dry, even when walking through ankle deep water, and mud. Found them here for $60 plus free shipping
http://dealnews.com/New-Balance-Mens-1201-Hiking-Boots-for-60-free-shipping/379246.html