• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

It's a quiet Saturday night so...footwear?

I used to be an absolute barefoot fanboi until I got a pair of Merrell Moabs. Oh man, I can think of a few instances with rocky DGCs and today climbing in and out of a ditch that the chunkiness of the treads were a real life saver.
In the real world, I still wear Vibrams except at work.

Ordered a pair of teva riva events with vibram soles, looking forward to trying them out next week.

Curious as to what people's preferred footwear for DG is. In the heat of summer, if I know the course well enough, I'll sport Teva sandals.

It depends on the course. I too play in sandals on some courses. On others I have played in heavy leather hiking boots. (And was glad I did.) And I've even played in rubber knee highs. (And was glad I did.) When I travel to a new course, I'll wear regular tennies and bring a pair of off road running shoes. Unless I have reason to bring something more appropriate.

@ dgfanatic7. I have very wide feet (E) so I have to go a size up. So if you have a"normal" width. You should be OK with your reg size. If you Go to Zappo's.com. You can get a good idea of what their about.

These

25729007_w.jpg

Has anybody tried these?

Adidas Terrex Swift R GTX

Can't seem to find any reviews online. There are reviews for the FAST R (durable, good traction, runs narrow seems to be the consensus), but nothing for the SWIFT R.

I went through Salomons in about 3 months (Comp 6 and Pro3D), Merrels in about 4-5 mos (Moab Ventilator) and so far La Sportiva seems to be holding up the best at 7 months and counting (Wildcats).

Side note: La Sportiva Quantum 2.0 looked promising (original Quantum with redesigned Vibram sole), but after not being able to locate them, I called and found out that they never went into production due to lack of vendor interest.

Has anybody tried these?

Can't seem to find any reviews online. There are reviews for the FAST R (durable, good traction, runs narrow seems to be the consensus), but nothing for the SWIFT R.

I went through Salomons in about 3 months (Comp 6 and Pro3D), Merrels in about 4-5 mos (Moab Ventilator) and so far La Sportiva seems to be holding up the best at 7 months and counting (Wildcats).

Side note: La Sportiva Quantum 2.0 looked promising (original Quantum with redesigned Vibram sole), but after not being able to locate them, I called and found out that they never went into production due to lack of vendor interest.

Those look pretty sweet. At that price I'd buy some Cushe x-Sige WP though. I found them at zappos on sale for less than a hundred. They look like those but even better imo and have an awesome vibram sole. I always used merrell moabs but I'm a big fan of the Cushe X-Sige now.

Those look pretty sweet. At that price I'd buy some Cushe x-Sige WP though. I found them at zappos on sale for less than a hundred. They look like those but even better imo and have an awesome vibram sole. I always used merrell moabs but I'm a big fan of the Cushe X-Sige now.

I looked into them, but can't find them bigger than a 10 anywhere. Also, no longer on sale at Zappos - back to $140. I generally try to stick to REI so if they don't fit right/not comfortable/etc, I can return them to the store instead of mailing them. REI does not carry this style of Cushe unfortunately. :\

I looked into them, but can't find them bigger than a 10 anywhere. Also, no longer on sale at Zappos - back to $140. I generally try to stick to REI so if they don't fit right/not comfortable/etc, I can return them to the store instead of mailing them. REI does not carry this style of Cushe unfortunately. :\

That's a bummer. I was able to get some twelves they didn't have thirteen. Breaking them in is taking longer than Merrells but they are certainly waterproofed well.

2 years ago I got a pair of Merrel Moabs. I've always liked Merrels because they offer wide widths. They SUCKED! Don't get me wrong, they were plenty comfortable, just not durable. In less than a year the sole separated from the upper.

This year I'm trying a pair of Asic's Trail Running shoes. So far so good. Although Asic's don't generally come in wide widths, they build their shoes with a wide last so they fit wider feet more comfortably.

I'd love a pair of Keens or even Tevas, I've never heard anyone bad mouth them, but unfortunately they are only in standard widths. And I think both of them use a fairly narrow last for their shoes.

For typical terrain I go with Adidas trail runners... Currently Kanadia TR. Adidas tend to run wide, IMO, and just fit and feel the best.

When I know the course will be a hike (Paw Paw, Orange Crush, etc.) I wear hiking boots. I really like the Columbias I've gotten. I'm picky about fit and they, like the Adidas, fit me best.

Generally, though, I've had very little success with them being waterproof, even with additional spray.

I've been trying New Balance Minimus, Saloman Speedcross 3, and North Face Hedgehogs. I love how light the SC3's are, but I've been wearing the Hedgehogs a lot because it's been a wet summer so far, and they're waterproof.

The Minimus are nice, but I can't keep debris out of them with all the time I've been spending in the schule lately, and I don't like wearing socks with them. The soles aren't super grippy in the wet either despite being Vibram.

The SC3's are super light and extremely comfortable, but I doubt their tread pattern is going to stand up to the abuses of teeing off on concrete. There are pieces already coming off of them.

The Hedgehogs are nice enough, but they're a little heavier than I like after wearing the other two pair. The soles seem to be the best for concrete however.

invested in the northface goretex hedgehogs. cheapest best I could get right now and my Bite's are falling apart and with the salient dg spec 1 still being tweaked, needed a good casual/dg shoe. Should be here by next week.

I just got a pair of Merrell Mix Master trail runners. Very comfortable shoes, even though they're not waterproof. Wore them first on a pretty tame course, terrain-wise (Coastal Carolina DGC) and they were fine. I'm giving them a workout this Saturday at a tournament -- but I'm bringing my old shoes too, just in case.

Best thing about them was the price -- got them at an outlet store for $34.00.

Last edited:
When my trail running shoes start to get beat they become my disc golf shoes. Currently using Montrails and very happy with them.

Has anybody tried these?

Pulled the trigger on a pair of these... Didn't carry them in store, so hopefully they fit true to size. Will let err'body know how they work out.

Hey guys, I don't mean to sound condescending but after years of snowboarding, working in the industry, backpacking, skating, and general life in New England and now California I've found that Nike's ACG line contains without a doubt the best outdoor shoes in terms of weight and comfort. They are all pretty durable and well thought out, with many options. Gore-tex, Vibram, 600D canvas, 0.44 Sticky Rubber, 3xDry (wicking that outdoes anything by Merrel or 5.10) Zoom sole, air cushions, Lunarlon, wide/narrow options.

Obviously the quality isn't as 100% as Merrel and the product isn't as ethical as New Balance, but I find Nike seems to have a better idea about actually walking, running, planting/gripping and keeping your feet dry (from sweat) than the hiking shoes people seem to gravitate towards in disc golf. Not to mention you can usually find a good looking shoe you're used to wearing but ruggedized. No transition, just high and dry. Lately Van's has been dabbling with the some Vibram/rugged options on the OTW Line. For all the dudes who stand by the waffle sole, there you go!

I'm telling you guys. Disc golf is still golf. You don't need to sacrifice comfort, and wicking power for some 200$ shoes that honestly weren't made for walking through fields. Nike ACG's are the closest thing to golf shoes you'll get to while still holding up well when you lose your disc down a muddy ravine.

I use these badboys for now. They've kicked ass in the summer during rainy afternoons. The sticky rubber grips muddy hillsides like no other.

Shoes are a consumable. Don't spend $$$ hoping they'll last 2 years. They probably won't, and if they do, they'll wear at some point and hurt your stride (and whole body). I have hip problems from wearing worn skate shoes for 15 years. Complaining that your shoes lost their waterproof-ability is for suckers. Buy some beeswax waterproofing and reapply every few months. Gunk it in the seams.
Compaining that your sole is falling off or something is also for suckers. Buy some ShoeGoo and get on that...

5.10's are extremely heavy and the rubber dies quick. Sole separates a lot, still they are great shoes. New balance has some sweet options for the ruggedized sneaker as well. Sacouny, and all the trainer shoes brands can also be waterproofed. Save money. Don't sacrifice sneaker/trainer feel for hiking boot ruggedness when the primary mode of transportation in your game is walking through grass or dirt.

I have lived most of my life where having dry and comfortable feet is do or die. In New England you often go through 4 seasons in one day. I also worked in the footwear industry for 2 years and have tested the techniques and materials most companies use.

Remember: you have to actively tend to your shoes to get the most out of them. Even with materials like gore-tex you need to reapply waterproofing often. Fix tears early with shoe goo. Wishing is for suckas. Do something.

I swear guys I'm not a sales rep :eek:

I'm just always surprised I only see ACG's at my home course. When I was in New England they wasn't a "sole" :hfive:
Quality socks for heat or warmth MATTER too! As does even foot powder.

Stay dry while riding or golfing!