• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ive never met another disc golfer anywhere but on the course. Have you?

I work at a restaurant of roughly 50 people and there are currently 4 other disc golfers that I have never seen on the course or played a round with. Oddly, they haven't seen each other too.

Maybe not suprisingly, my best friend, who I met on a disc golf course, helped get me the job here.

At least half a dozen I met at church, the contractor helping get our new house fixed up, the guy who came door to door selling steaks, guys I meet at the International House of Prayer, one of our new neighbors... I've met fellow disc golfers all over....

I, too, have met quite a few, including some somewhat-distant relatives at a family reunion.

A customer that I work with plays, so usually when I visit that account we discuss our latest rounds:thmbup: it's a bummer he's on the clock,where as I play mostly weekday rounds:) we've yet to play a round together.

I ran into a random person in a restaurant wearing a DR shirt. Very random, I was excited, seemed like he wanted to just eat. :|

When my kids were in high school, I was surprised how many of their friends familiar with DG and how few played.

I've met a few. The girl at my bank, the pizza dude, the beer tender where I get my craft brews, and several random strangers. I routinely where disc golf attire and they notice and say something. Or I might bring it up, as in when they say, "Have a good day," and I say, "I am, I'm going to play "frisbee" golf." Or in the winter when I just say golf. "Golf? In the snow?" "Yeah, frisbee golf."

I rarely use the term "disc" golf when talking to strangers so it leaves out the, "What's a disc?" comment.

onemilemore, let that freak flag fly. You can't shut me up about it. I'm proud of my affliction.

A guy in my work softball league got in touch with me after he saw my license plate (DISCGLF) as I was driving off from the post game tailgate. Turns out, he plays quite a bit.

I'm pretty active in the local disc golf world, so I already know a lot of the more serious players in the area. I run into disc golfers I know in other settings from time to time. If I didn't already know them, I would have had no idea they were disc golfers.

I see lots of cars with stickers, I guess a few could have been ultimate.
But thanks to my job, I spend a little more time on the freeway than most people.
However, I have put the world on notice when I am at work.

Attachments

• 2013-04-02_09-39-12_352.jpg
    2013-04-02_09-39-12_352.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 81
Maybe we're destined to be kinda like Fight Club. We all recognize each other, but apparently, there's a rule that we're not to talk about it. I'd be okay with that.

I've noticed in my walk of life that I'm running into many fewer people who have never heard of Disc Golf, especially compared to a couple of decades ago. I don't get the..."Are these for feeding deer?" questions anymore...

In the late '80s we were taking a lunch break at the cafeteria at Wolf Creek Ski Area and ran into a guy wearing a shirt from a Hackey Sack & Frisbee Festival. Turns out he was staying in Pagosa Springs and we were bunking on the other side of Wolf Creek Pass in South Fork. We ate lunch with him and hung around the rest of the day on the trails. Good fun just because of a t-shirt.

A couple of run ins, and my dad is always blabbing to his acquaintances that I play. I've found that wearing a tournament or some other DG related T-shirt sometimes helps.

I've noticed in my walk of life that I'm running into many fewer people who have never heard of Disc Golf, especially compared to a couple of decades ago. I don't get the..."Are these for feeding deer?" questions anymore...
When I got married, my in-laws thought I was bizarre becasue I played this sport they had never seen or heard of. About seven years after that courses started going in around them; now my Mother In-Law works with a bunch of guys who play and she drives by a course on the way to work. It's not nearly as weird to her now.

The trick is realizing you've met them---which means one party has to reveal that he's a disc golfer. Preferably, without going up to every stranger and saying, "Hey! I play disc golf!"

People who know me will sometimes, in introductions to others, mention that we have a disc golf course at our property. We also have a small disc golf store in our family business, and have discovered that a few long-time customers are also disc golfers.

I've also been wearing shirts that prominently say "disc golf", and had strangers recognize me as a disc golfer.

No telling how many disc golfers I've met, and never known it. Hardly any different than any other hobbies, though.

How can this be? I assume you work at a disc golf shop. And all of your friends and family play.

Designing is my job, and all my friends and family play, but that's not the explanation. It's more like this:

For example, there are enough courses around that a lot of kids have taken it up. So, youth camps learn that disc golf is one of the most requested activities. So, most of the youth camps around here have courses. So, the kids come back wanting to take their parents and friends out to play. So, the parents want a course closer to their house and get the city to install a new one...repeat.

Camps are just one hot spot of the infection spreading. Family reunions, corporate picnics, PE and physics classes in school are other examples.

Eventually, you get to the point where it seems like everyone has at least tried it once.

We've reached critical mass in the Twin Cities.

i meet them all the time. although i am in graduate school and live in a college town so that might have something to do with it

A cute kayaking couple from Bellingham were sitting in the Sunshine Flats hot springs on the Middle Fork of the Salmon with us this past week. In mentioning my fondness for the place I lamented that a college town would have so few disc golf courses[a fault shared by Eugene].
To no surprise, they both were into DG. :D

The only time I even spoke to anyone who knew anything about disc golf was from before I even started playing.

I was in Idaho with my GF for my brother's wedding in 2008. After attending the wedding in Sun Valley, we decided to check out Boise for a few days. During a stroll through Boise's marvelous downtown park, I noticed a couple of solitary people playing disc golf. My GF barely noticed the discs, baskets or lonely players but I immediately recognized what I saw to be this game that I, up to that point in my life, had only a vague impression of based on a 5 second scene from "The Summer of George" not based on any actual experience seeing the game with my own eyes. I had never seen anything disc golf in my life before Boise but I knew, only in the most ephemeral way, though, that it was out there. My level of curiosity about disc golf was so low that I wouldn't even think about it at all unless I had just seen The Summer of George re-run on TBS which happened every 18 months or so since the original airing on Seinfeld 15 years ago.

So we got home to Los Angeles after Boise and it was at least several months before I even mentioned my witnessing of DG in Boise to ANYONE. It was at a party and I only told my friend Cameron because I knew he had a more open mind than most. Reflecting now, I'm sure I never mentioned seeing DG being played in Boise to anyone else I knew because I knew none of my friends would be interested. I suspected that DG had a déclassé stigma and I guess I was embarrassed. So I told Cameron about Boise and he told me that he had, for a while, wanted to try out DG but never had occasion to do so.

That was the first time I ever met someone who even noticed DG. Since then I have never met another person, off the DG course, who knows anything about DG. Part of the problem, I guess, is that I don't advertise that I play. It feels like bragging that you play poker or engage in some other example of marginalia. DG definitely has a subversive/misanthropic/fetishistic rep. It doesn't bother me or stop me from playing. Maybe that's what I like about it.

Latest posts