• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

James Proctor's Form

SpringDgLover

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I've been watching USDGC and I'm fascinated by James Proctor's form. Not because I want to throw like him, although he does bomb, but because of how much he curls his wrist. I've watched a lot of pro disc golf, had many pro clinics and watched all the YouTube form stuff I can find and to a man, almost all the pros say not to curl your wrist. But here is this guy doing it and doing it well. I've slowed his stuff down and he has a super clean release but his wrist is always curled. Anyone else do this and is successful with it?

Proctor is from my general neck of the woods (central/northern CA) and has been playing in our local tournaments the last couple years, it usually ends up a shootout between him and Nikko (Nikko now lives in northern CA).

And I agree, there is some unique stuff going on there.

He has huge distance and great putting, and to me it looks like he spreads his hand and thumb over most of the flight plate (even when putting !), and he pulls thru on a hyzer angle with a really quick rotation of his upper torso.

It would be great if someone could catch some of his drives on video and post a slo-mo version where we can study his footwork and angles. Even better if they could get a quick interview in so he can explain his grip and what he emphasizes when throwing.

He attends University of Nevada at Reno (Colin Kaepernick went there) and used to play basketball, which gives you good leg strength for disc golf.

I don't thing your examing his form proper from start to finish.

You can put your hand/wrist in any fashion at the beginning of the throw: straight, bent slightly bent, twisted, etc. and the torque will pull it straight. That is torque from a full force drive.

Imagine a spring being stretched under tension- Orginally said to me in the 90's by Scott Stokely.

The tension is a result of the physics of acceleration. It is impossible to have a bent wrist at the end of a full force drive.

Don't get stuck on grip and wrist. The main drivers of driving well are your big muscles: legs, hips, torso, shoulders and triceps.

His wrist looks pretty straight into the hit to me. Just cuz he curls his wrist in his reach back doesn't mean he keeps it that way all the way thru his pull.