• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Kentucky Course Suggestions?

sanfo23

Bogey Member
I'm going to be in Kentucky next week, and my question is bowling green or idlewild. Or is there one I'm missing? Only have enough time for one course. And I'm going to be pretty centrally located from the two.

where are you coming from? If you can swing by holler in the hills on your way to Bowling Green, I would highly recommend it. Idlewild is no slouch though, top 5 course in the country

Just one course, Idlewild is a good bet. If you have time for more, I'd still hit the Cincinnati area and do Idlewild, Lincoln Ridge and Mt. Airy. None of the courses in BG are as good as any of those IMO.

Totally opposite sides of the state, but hit up the Cincy area. Idlewild,Lincoln, mt airy. All three great great courses

Idlewild and Lincoln Ridge both are way better than Mt Airy (came away going that was it?). Have yet to play Holler but thats in the works. Charlie Vettiner in Louisville

If you only have time for one, I'd say it depends what you're looking for:
Idlewild is a gold level challenge, more "epic" and takes a while to play.
Lincoln Ridge well suited to intermediate players, and is more fun IMO. It's not Idlewild, but still a fabulous course.

I've played them all, numerous times, and Holler in the Hills is my favorite course. Period. It's more of a disc golf sanctuary with some really unique holes but it is not close to anything being in Brownsville. Lincoln Ridge (AKA Banklick) is a really great course, beautiful and 24 holes of guaranteed fun. Idlewild is beautiful and amazing but 24 holes that will leave you exhausted yet satisfied. Mt. Airy (across the river in Cincinnati) however, is an incredible course and is, unfortunately, scheduled to be closed come July 1st. So, if you can, I would go check out the legendary Nati Disc Golf shop that resides within the park and Mt. Airy before it closes.

I live in Lexington, KY (central) and there is nothing to see here as far as course gold. Another option that I have really enjoyed in the past is Freeman Lake in Elizabethtown. I guess it all depends on where you are going to be and what's most convenient. If you could choose anyone of them though I would suggest Mt. Airy, simply for the fact of seeing/experiencing the Nati Shop and the course before they close.

The only one of those courses I haven't played in the past month is Holler, but for the rest, they are in excellent condition. Also, Banklick and Idlewild will be in pristine condition this week as the Bluegrass Open is next Saturday. You can't really go wrong as they are all extraordinary courses. Enjoy yourself and soak in the Bluegrass!

Last edited:
Holler is a sweet course. I camped there a couple nights and played it over and over. I live about a mile from Lincoln Ridge and it play it often. I've played Idlewild several times too. I can't comment about the BG courses, but heard they are sweet.

From what I know, it really depends on the degree of difficulty and your experience. If you are looking for a challenge and have some dg talent, try Idle. If you aren't, don't go to Idle because it will only be frustrating (unless you are looking for scenic beauty).

Lincoln Ridge is a fun course and not nearly as challenging, but it draws a lot of players on the weekends and evenings. Most with one or two discs, no shirts, unleashed dog(s), cooler in one hand, and wildly tossing out as much profanity as they can so that all the kids in the nearby play area and on the soccer field can clearly hear them.

Holler has some truly beautiful holes. It's also very scenic. Some of the holes are hard, but overall it's not nearly as difficult as Idle.

Whatever you do, you won't be disappointed.

Last edited:
Idlewild is the best course in the state to play once. It would be a course you'll never forget. There's a reason it's top 5 in the country.

Another vote for the big 3. (Idlewild, Lincoln ridge and mt airy). Mt airy is supposedly shutting down too so you would have a chance to play it if that happens.

Bowling green courses are all mediocre at best aside from BG tech. Holler in the hills is one of the best however if you want a quantity of great courses the big 3 will fill that.

If you want to have a great time with ace runs and birdie opts go to Banklick. If you wanna mountain Climb And throw onto and off of rock formations go to holler. If you want your butt whipped And play the top rated public course in the counntry go to Idle.

Thanks for all the responses! I am in radcliff/Etown area and i reaally am debating making the drive to idle wild. Its far but the pictures look so pretty X_X I'm from the DFW area in Tx so i play some nice courses, but Idlewilds pictures alone blow me away. May just have to make the early morning trip so i dont miss too much time with the fam, but they know i love disc golf.

From what I have read though, Holler sounds like something i could get down with also. I would put myself at above average player (drivers out to about 400, mids to about 350) that can hit some fun lines so I'm looking for the scenic challenging experience. Thank you again for all the feed back, i have more to look up now.

I'm not taking away from Holler, but take into account that it is way, way away from any type of civilization also on a private piece of property. Idlewild/Lincoln Ridge are in a pretty populated areas with Grocery stores, fast food, etc. if that makes any differance to you!

I think i have decided.

I'm thinking holler is where I will go to play a couple rounds either tuesday or wednesday morning, if anyone wants to meet up let me know. I'm going to be giving the park director a call also, just to give him the heads up and get some directions or maybe a physical address because I dont know the highways here at all. But if anyone is interested to play shoot me a PM!

They both look beautiful, and considering its half the drive has me leaning towards it. I make a mean sack lunch too hahaha

Latest posts