• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lackland AFB Course

Lackland Dan

So just about a week ago, I decided to give my base course, Lackland AFB Texas, a go. About 8 complete holes in and two lost discs, I did find them later, I was throughly disappointed. The course needs so much attention it's not even funny. It really needs some love and attention but I don't have the required machinery/equipment to get started. The fairways are overgrown, trees in front of baskets, no clear direction from one hole to the next and other countless things are just not right.

I'm looking for anyone in the San Antonio area who might be willing to donate some time and use of a riding mower of any kind or any other piece of eqiupment/machinery to get this course up and playable again. It will def be quite an invest of time considering the condition of the course but I believe we owe it to the folks who live on base/post to enjoy playing some disc basically in their backyard.

Hit me up if you'd like to help or have any suggestions. Thanks for listening!!!

Dan

If it's not open for public play, you might be hard pressed to get people to volunteer time or equipment. Does the base not have equipment that can be used, even if only by you and any civy volunteers? Something else that might be worth pursuing is trying to get a club going, possibly with public access to the course. Things changed a lot after 9/11, I know, but we have two Army posts here that both have provisions to allow some public usage for various activities on post (mountain bike races and other recreation at one, archery shoots and limited hunting on the other). If the interest is there (on and/or off base) then surely you can revive your course and maybe get something going.

Personally, I'm pretty generous with my volunteer time and tools, but in this situation I don't think I'd be donating the use of any tools or equipment that would be affected by extra use - not when there is government equipment/money available, and the project in question is on their property and/or not available to anyone else. I'd be more apt to volunteer time if there were some personal or public benefit, but if that isn't there I might still help anyway. I've grown up and lived around various military bases for my whole life, so I know how it works. The ones that keep to themselves and limit community involvement/participation can just stay that way as far as I'm concerned. The ones that are willing/able to do more with the community are more worthy of support, imho. There are limitations, of course, but the base commanders usually have a fair amount of discretion that they can work with.

Thanks for the insight Okla. Yes the course is def not public since it is on the base. Lackland has pretty strict rules on who the let on the base and there would have to be a pretty big interest in what I'm trying to accomplish. The base does have a newspaper that comes out every week so I just my try there first and see what kind of interest/reactions/offers for help I get.

I actually might be able to do a self help project but the funding would probably take the longest to acquire. Gonna ask the Outdoor Rec staff if anyone has ever addressed the course or maybe there are people already here that have a similar bond in what I'm trying to do.

Thanks again and I'll try and keep you abreast on what's going on!

Im in SA and there are people that would love to help, only problem, as mentioned, is that it's not a public course. I've heard the course has potential if they would allow people to maintain it. You should try pearsall park and NWV college, those are both relatively close to you and worth playing if you want to get a round in.

ah, basic training base. i haven't been there since 1998.

pretty cool there is a dg course there now. g'luck getting the course into shape.

Hoorah Air Force!