• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Latitude 64°

asiankatie said:
So, I'm fairly new to disc golfing. I have only been a couple of times before and havent been in a couple of years now. One of my roommates has recently gotten into it and wants to go. I remembered having some discs that my ex gave me a while back, anyway I found this one in a box. Do you think it's good for a beginner?

ZVoae0I.jpg

Welcome. New players are better served by throwing midranges that glide well and don't fade a lot and are easy to get later when the first one wears or is lost. Innova Coyote fits the bill. Mids do not need as much power or as good technique on most areas of throwing to fly well left, right and center out to different distances. The disc you have is ok for headwinds and throws that need to finish left for new players. With added power it will become straighter with still a definite left finish.

I've got one of those stripper Strikers that I bought on here years ago with the intention of flipping it again later. Unfortunately I don't remember how much I paid for it so I won't be sure I'm making money on the deal :lol:

inBounds flight guide shows that the Fury is a longer River.

http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/content/?page_id=431&type=&id1=5020310&id2=6524752&id3=345876O&id4=777921O&n=1139

That's hard to gauge that, when Rivers are so inconsistent in stability between runs. Though I think most Rivers I've had have had more LSS than my Fury's seem to have.

Unfortunately much that comes out from Lat factory varies if not first at least later in too many cases. A straighter River always piques my interest. How is the HSS on yours and do you know how representative your disc is vs the majority and if yours is different how? Shape details?

Anyone throwing havocs? I picked up a new run ,domey opto the other day and it bombs. 169g and stable for flex shots into a mild headwind. I like the feel of it but if i do keep liking it,i dont want to have a fluke havoc. How are the new runs?

Never had a Havoc that was stable enough for me. Tried maybe 4 of them all were dumpers... I have an opto river that is fairly stable and a gl that is understable. They seem to be pretty consistent for me flying that way in each plastic.

on the complete opposite end of the spectrum Lat has really hit a home run with the Bite. http://www.latitude64.se/produkter/bite/

think Superhero but in Opto and about 20g heavier and a lower profile. Made some great shots at the local dink and dunk today during lunch. It really brings out the smooth in me.

Sounds like new ones are ok Boot, I can't validate that though. I too share this frustration with the Havoc and a lot of the other molds too sadly.

I've been throwing a Bolt last couple weeks. It's a nice disc with great glide an minimal fade at high speeds. Can't seem to decide which way I like throwing it more - forehand or backhand. Anyone have a preference for throwing Bolts?

My Bolt i super flippy and does fade. It is better for a sub 300' thrower than for a 400'+ thrower. I prefer many drivers over the Bolt in fact most drivers because mine is too flippy.

Got a FR 172 silver Fury. Faster a little more HSS River is a good description. Rear wind 400' no flip headwind needs 5ish degrees of initial hyzer to flip to flat maxing out at 375'. The fade is pretty minimal less than the Beast. The speed is slower than the Beast and despite the later and lesser fade and more glide the D is less. The power requirement is lower with the Fury so it will be dependable on off days and when you have limited room to throw or sub 400' of power with fast discs. this disc might serve as a semi equalizer to 350' crowd vs 400' crowd. It is so controllable and forgiving that it flies more like a fairway driver than a distance driver (Beast etc.) that overlap is not as bad as one could think. I did not throw it powered down but assume that it flies beautifully released flat at sub 400' D. I need to play different courses with this disc to see about overlap and straightness in the end of the flight with under powered throws. The Fury trumps the River in reliability in calm and moderate winds so if the fade stays in tight hole fairways and the non straight shots work well as i think they do the River might get kicked out of the bag. The Beast is safe thanks to the longer flights especially in headwinds because the domier taller Fury gets slowed down more in headwinds. I wish the Fury behaves on local tight courses because it would be safer for error margins in hyzer angles than the River and especially in the winds even though it will flip in headwinds and is less safe than the Beast. Halfway between the River and the Beast in HSS is still a proper direction considering the LSS for a 400' shot is about the same as for a GL River at full power, only longer. I like the initial impression i got of the Fury and it stands a good chance of getting bagged pushing the River out.

The FR Fury i have seemed to be shaped similarly than the regular production GL Furies.

Anyone got ideas how Opto Furies differ in flight from GLs?

The Fury is much worse than a Beast on a windy day so taking it to a course for the first time sinking the MD2 i had left me with only it so it was almost a one disc round and it putts surprisingly well. At full power it is flippy and in headwinds even stand stills turned some. The fade on even stand stills kicks in so late that the disc won't often flex to flat let alone fade so the Beast is the safer option. The Fury powers down better having a mild and late fade though good for tight spots. If you want an s-curve disc at 400' power this is a nice one as long as you give it some height or a couple of degrees of initial hyzer to tighten up the lateral movement and reducing the dropping. The Fury will fall fairly quickly per degree of tilt away from flat so it is not the glidiest Lat64 driver. I found an Amp and tossed that in a field and it flips almost the same retaining height way better and fighting back from anny way better but still late for good D. I got both to 400' in rear left wind but i don't know how far the Amp would fly in calm weather the Fury goes to 400' for me on a line drive.

The local grass roots disc seller pointed me in the direction of the Fury as a beat longer teebird, meaning not much fade. He let me have a few downwind shots with a pink 175 opto around 300' with less than 10' height and the Fury almost hit the basket on each throw. Throwing back into the 10mph wind wasn't as predictable but I'm looking to pick up a used Fury and give it a good testing. I normally throw a seasoned qjls for tunnel shots and was able to do a side by side with the Fury. My QJ needed several feet to allow for the fade back to the basket on that low line and a lot more power where as the Fury was point and shoot and would hit the ground with almost no fade. I gave the Fury a harder rip downwind with less than 15' height and a couple more degrees hyzer and it preformed the same line as before but easily flew well past the basket, without fade or burning out, to 350'.

I've never tried the River but have a 168 tournament Underworld that gets way squirrely over 300' power. If rivers and underworlds are similar I think I'll pass on trying out a river as I can flick further for turn way right shots with much more confidence.

I haven't thrown the Underworld but the Fury is longer, faster, more HSS and LSS and a little less gliding than the River. The Fury is a pretty straight disc but loses out in distance to the Beast while being about as straight and stable. With the admittedly limited testing with my GL Fury it seems to range pretty linearly unlike the River that needs 100 % power to get to 100 % distance and if you give it 97 % power it will fade out to 90 % D so in that respect for my power level at least the Fury is the better disc. For anything but the straightest flights.

Latest posts