• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Latitude 64 River

Yeah Ranger, listen to Qikly. don't be scared off by it.

Think of the River as a form sculpting tool. I feel it's a must have disc in a bag just as I feel the Comet is a must in a bag. Both of these discs will make you a better player in the long run.

Both can be frustrating at times when you first start to throw them,but after you get use to them you will be able to shape lines you never thought you could with these types of discs.

Yeah I have 3 168 X Comets, so comparing the River to a Comet isn't a scary thing. Flying Squirrel is very Comet-like too and I use that disc for a LOT of throws. Need to see how funds are after we finish moving my wife to her new apartment this weekend then if I can find a lighter GL River I'll go that route

alright

I'm in for an opto

are throwing ESP or x comets

Personally I say start with ESP or Z Comets. They're a unique disc, already sensitive and understable, and they wear pretty quickly in X plastic. I think it's easier to start off with one in premium plastic to see how you feel about them and learn what you can. Once you know how they fly out of the box and if you decide you like them, then try an X. An X with a bit of wear can be a killer turnover mid.

alright

I'm in for an opto

are throwing ESP or x comets

I throw all 3.

My Z Comet is for stablilty,The ESP is pretty much dead straight and the X Comet is a good turnover disc once worn.

Now they will all turnover when you first start to throw them,but once you get use to the disc you will see the big difference in all 3 plastics.

Good luck with the River too. It's a fine disc :hfive:

I've finally gotten the hang of my gold line River. It's a nice disc that can do quite a bit. I find it similar to a Saint, but a little shorter. When thrown with an anhyzer it will curve sharply. Thrown flat with power and it will have a nice turn. A sharp throw with hyzer and it will flip up and turn a little. Powered down it makes a nice straight control driver. It's not as long as my speed 9 fairways like a Saint, Escape, Amp or Volt, so I use it for those slightly shorter shots. It's my de-facto get out of trouble disc.

I haven't had a problem with this disc being sensitive and wouldn't shy away from it at all. I'd respectfully disagree that's is a hard-to-throw teaching tool. It's no more difficult to master than any other disc in my bag, but it can teach you a lot because there are a lot of lines you can throw it on.

Just checked with Clearwater. Lowest weights they have are a pair of 167 Rivers in Purple and Pink.

You've convinced me to try an Opto. I think I'll go ~170g, just like the rest of my drivers, and see how it flies.

I'll report back.

So I picked up a 171 Opto River a while back and I've been testing it. It has the mild dome I like, a sweet stamp, and very grippy Opto plastic.

I'm really digging it. It hyzer flips and goes dead straight, and can really absorb a decent amount of power on the hyzer flip line. It's the straight stable flight that I'm looking for in my Rivers. I'm really happy to find this flight in this disc too, since the past few Rivers I've tried haven't been what I'm looking for.

In other news, I found another max weight, stiff GL River from the exact run that I like from about 2-3 years ago too.

I don't see Rivers leaving the bag any time soon.

Finally took the River plunge today. Just ordered a 168 GL Blurple Swirl and a 172 Test Run in blue. Test run was only $7, I figured may as well heh. Excited, tho this makes my 5 Leopards nervous

I just got a 175 Opto river last night. As a control driver, how will this fly for me? It has a big dome and i have about 350-375 feet of power.

I think it was last night that someone mention that their's was pretty stable with a dome. They said it wasn't flippy like other River's

Ok. That's what I was hoping for. I tend to like stable-ish discs because of the predictability, but I'll test it out sometime in the next week when I get to Indiana.

I just got a 175 Opto river last night. As a control driver, how will this fly for me? It has a big dome and i have about 350-375 feet of power.

I like Rivers with a moderate dome. All the flat Rivers I've thrown have been a bit too understable out of the box for my taste. I usually don't like domey discs, unless they're Comets, Rivers, or Destroyers.

I've been throwing a stiff, max weight GL with a moderate dome on it for a while now and it still goes straight. I mainly use it for turnovers and big anhyzers (for me that's ~350' with the River), and I have a new Opto for straight shots. I can still get the GL to go perfectly straight, but that's not it's job any more.

Lots of the new opto rivers are overstable,im talking headwind driver,barely any turn overstability,not xxx or nothing but almost saint pro stability. Ive only thrown 3 of the current new runs and they were all domey and heavy 175+.

I finally got to throw mine today and was very pleased. It was essentially a longer, glidier stalker, which had been my go to up to that point. The river has kicked it out of the bag.

Lots of the new opto rivers are overstable,im talking headwind driver,barely any turn overstability,not xxx or nothing but almost saint pro stability. Ive only thrown 3 of the current new runs and they were all domey and heavy 175+.

Whoa! Where can I find those at, and know that I'm getting the new ones?

Domey Rivers suck. Lets just hope that booter got his hands on a weird run of them, and it is not the new norm. Because if that is the way Rivers are going to fly from now on, I will stop throwing them.

Domey Rivers suck. Lets just hope that booter got his hands on a weird run of them, and it is not the new norm. Because if that is the way Rivers are going to fly from now on, I will stop throwing them.

Just got a sparkle River in the mail. About to make my fourth attempt at flattening. It goes to charity if this time doesn't work. :thmbdown:

I know I'll get some hate for this, but I like the newer rivers better. The older runs are too flippy for me and these new runs are very workable. Great compliment to an Amp.