• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Learning backhand technique

KingofKings696

Bogey Member
Ive been forehanding for a while and do it very well. Well this year I want to learn to backhand and am noticing something odd. While working on midranges and putters I can throw around 200ft and that's as far as I can throw anything backhand. Well out playing yesterday I did standstill shots with my putter instead of doing a run up and I just focused on the back to forward transistion of weight as you might see mcbeth do on his standstill shots and it just fires right out of my hand. My curiousity is am I somehow simply missing the weight transfer while doing the run up and all or am I just looser and not so focused on distance but more the accuracy that comes with a standstill shot? I overshot a 170ft shot without putting in any effort with my putter. I guess what Im trying to figure out where this ease of power is coming from so I can try to harness it to get the disc to fly further easier with my BH.

I throw RHBH mainly from the standstill. Well, always, not mainly. I have fooled around with an x-step but long story short, I get more distance consistently when I don't move. I don't think my reach-back or rotation are as good when I do a run up, and now that you mention it I'm not sure about the weight transfer. Did you extend your arm back farther from the stand still? I feel like most of the power in my standstill throw comes from how far back I extend my arm. I've noticed though when I watch the pros, they mostly don't fully extend their arm behind them.

Not really sure on the reach back and all simply because it all feels odd to me. I also think with the pros when they are doing a standstill they can generate so much power they don't need to pull all the way back to throw it as far as you or I might to throw it half as far.