• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Learning to Throw Lefthanded

Midnightbiker

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
With my arm still bothering me, I think I might have to learn to throw lefthanded. Anyone else had to do this, and do you have any tips that might help me do this? Thanks.

I'm in the same boat. You can see my thread in technique and strategy section too. I've been trying to throw flat and just use midranges. Getting smoother each round. Stay positive. That has been the hardest thing for me. 3 + weeks in and it is definitely getting easier, but still throwing a little more than 1/2 as far as my right hand.

I've not thrown disk right handed (I'm a natural lefty), but I'll bet I could do OK with some practice. Several years ago, back in my tennis-playing days, I had rotator cuff surgery on my left shoulder. At the time my daughter was a promising junior player, so I learned to play righty for few months so I could continue to help her with her training. I never got super competitive with the right hand, but whenever my brother came to town, I'd play him righty and we were much more evenly matched. As soon as I beat him right handed, though, he said "That's it, I'm not playing you again."

I've had trouble learning to throw discs well forehand, so I've toyed with the idea of developing a right-handed backhand to open up the left side of the fairway.

If you are patient, I think you can learn to play with your off hand. You may not be as good or as strong, but you can still enjoy the game. Also, learning to use your non-dominant hand can stimulate your brain.

I usually only throw drivers lefty. I throw everything righthanded, and would normally throw a stable or overstable driver lefty instead of trying to turn something over righty.

Mids and putters don't feel right in my left hand for some reason. Just never really feel good throwing them.

Practice throwing destroyers or something beefy lefty by throwing them flat. You'll get the hang of it then move to other discs.

My technique is totally different when throwing with each hand. Don't know why, but it's just weird...

I do throw both left and right (naturally right handed). I feel that a left hand backhand has more value than right hand forehand. Last week I did a whole round left handed because I hurt a finger on my right hand. Wasn't too bad.
I don't use a lot of drivers overall, but even less with my left. I feel that it helps my form and I seem to have more control. I can't throw drivers that much farther anyway (200+-50 with a putter). Two things don't really work left handed for me: putting and forehand. But I never put a lot of work into that so far.
I can't recommend throwing (overstable) drivers in the beginning, it might just spoil your form. Pick some putters and midranges and start with approaches, don't go for distance right away.

I agree with tomte. I think throwing clean with midranges will help way more than learning to throw with OAT on overstable drivers.

Don't expect it to come naturally. Start at the beginning just like you would with a brand new player. Stick to slow neutral discs at first to reinforce smooth clean form.

It's hard and I have a new appreciation for people just starting out who never threw Frisbees when they were younger.

I throw right handed for the vast majority of my shots but do throw left handed for shots that I need to curve to the right. I lose a bit of power and distance but it does the job for now. I am slowly learning rhfh but being able to throw with both hands is a skill that I am sure will only further develop by game. Plus if I hurt my right arm or hand I can still play :)

With my arm still bothering me, I think I might have to learn to throw lefthanded. Anyone else had to do this, and do you have any tips that might help me do this? Thanks.

I did exactly this. I took the opportunity to learn a backhand all over again from a clean slate. I don't have the strength as I do with my right, but my form is much better with my left. I'm still inconsistent, especially on approach shots, and I still go to my right for flicks and approaches out of trouble, but I drive predominately left now, if for no other reason than I find it more fun and for some reason less tiring. I think I have a tendency to strong arm my right handed drives, while I pretty much have a ball golf swing with my left. If you're anything like me you'll discover that you have an easier time getting your lower body involved(much like a golf/batter's swing right handed) but find it harder to time everything properly. Good luck, keep your chin up, your expectations low, and stay patient.

Same way as right handed. Hammer pound, pec drills, keep it slow, don't strong arm it.

One thing that I feel is helping me is working on my short arm putting. The most difficult thing for me right now is controlling the disc during the pull, and the short arm technique forces that control without throwing for distance.

I switched to left handed due to injury. Mids only go about 200. Got a 168g champ Mamba that is perfect for me right now. Trying to keep it from flipping is helping me get 250+ without strong arming or losing my balance in the follow through. Try the most understable stuff you have.

I agree with putters and mids helping too.

Hey, I tore both my rotator cuffs within 1 year of eachother. It definitely took a while to get back to full strength and there's no way I could have thrown a disc with how it was. I used Cold Compression though to get the swelling down and then rested for a couple weeks to avoid re-aggravating the injury and getting the swelling back. Blood flow stimulators also work great at speeding up the recovery time and healing old injuries. Definitely an easier route than learning to throw all over again with your other hand.

Hope this helps!

Kyle

http://www.kingbrand.com/Torn_Rotator_Cuff.php?REF=52PV94

I would like to learn to throw with both arms, but I really don't think I would have the patience. Good luck to you and keep us posted. You just might inspire me. :D

I would like to learn to throw with both arms, but I really don't think I would have the patience. Good luck to you and keep us posted. You just might inspire me. :D

If you can already throw BH and FH with your dominant hand learning an off hand for the fun of it is really frustrating. When you are forced to do it due to injury it makes the frustration a bit easier to deal with.

Latest posts