• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Leverage & Centrifugal Force are Sideways

Feldberg used to throw golf clubs. In his Colorado clinic (before it got taken down) he demonstrated a device that was two discs connected together with a short stick or something.

Feldy throws the golf club around 25min. Some great nuggets in here, but also some BS like "keep the head down":

I agree with Avery on like 98%:

I looked for the Gateway Training Wizard and saw some around 269 g but more important to me was that this is a putter and the grip would be different. What I wanted to use was a wider rim so I grabbed two discs I had (Avenger SS) and then hot glued them together and, as an extra measure, rolled duct tape along the edge to make sure they would stay together. This weighed in at 348 grams.

You do get a heavier feel but it's still not a sledge hammer. I thought I had an aha moment looking at my stand still video when I did figure out was that to get the lower arm extended all the way out by the hit point I had to accelerate a lot quicker than I had been. Like putting the pedal all the down and goosing it right from the power pocket instead of accelerating to the hit. Otherwise the elbow was more out front and to the right and still bent and not fully extended at the 10 o'clock point. However, that didn't translate to the field, though. With my regular discs constant acceleration to the hit I had further distance.

So I'm not sure if this is a good tool or not. I did save about $20 by DIY instead of buying the Training Wizard. I'll play around with it some more. Oh, and I was able to get it out to a little over 100 feet. Heavy disc. :)

I've been wondering if something like this, https://www.rotometals.com/pure-lead-cast-disc-99-9/ , taped/glued to the underneath plate of the wing near the rim where the 'nose' of the disc would be when you throw it would be worth it.

It's around 1lb, small sized, and I think would replicate where the weight of a disc is. Would def. Ruin the flight but could potentially let us feel what we need to, while holding a real disc.

I've been wondering if something like this, https://www.rotometals.com/pure-lead-cast-disc-99-9/ , taped/glued to the underneath plate of the wing near the rim where the 'nose' of the disc would be when you throw it would be worth it.

It's around 1lb, small sized, and I think would replicate where the weight of a disc is. Would def. Ruin the flight but could potentially let us feel what we need to, while holding a real disc.
Not sure it work well or give you much feedback. Would probably be good for grip though.

A disc with moving parts in it like water or little lead balls or something telescopic like this would probably work better to feel control and sudden funneling of the weight targetward:

Look at the skin on Paul's elbow pulled taut by centrifugal force and about to whip out down the forearm to the hand/disc when the wrist passes ahead of the elbow.
0Rdtch8.jpg

Anyone got any results from throwing something heavy or any result period. How did you fix this issue?

Anyone got any results from throwing something heavy or any result period. How did you fix this issue?
Definitely helped me feel how to use the body and ground and let go of the arm. Swinging the hammer in slow motion out from the chest also helped a lot with feeling how the wrist needs tension to leverage the disc/hammer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQYGzTlVetQ&t=7m

rumEgIX.jpg

veDfb08.png

Look at the skin on Paul's elbow pulled taut by centrifugal force and about to whip out down the forearm to the hand/disc when the wrist passes ahead of the elbow.
0Rdtch8.jpg

I'm just now realizing how to add power this way. I was throwing with a mostly loose arm. Now I'm able to fire that forearm out. Feels powerful but it's hard to focus on my target if I'm thinking about that lately. Does it eventually become natural? Do you swing with a loose arm until you hit 400 and then start adding power? Do you use it on short shots when you don't have a run-up?

I'm just now realizing how to add power this way. I was throwing with a mostly loose arm. Now I'm able to fire that forearm out. Feels powerful but it's hard to focus on my target if I'm thinking about that lately. Does it eventually become natural? Do you swing with a loose arm until you hit 400 and then start adding power? Do you use it on short shots when you don't have a run-up?
IDK how to explain other than it's just like using a hammer. You start loose and gradually assist the hammer's head weight into the hit and tighten/brace everything up at the hit (or the nose of the disc where you feel the weight slinging). You can't just noodle arm it or you'll get blown back from the hit, you have to guide it and focus the funneling energy into the hit or thru the hit out to the target. It's all shots putts to longest drives, just changing swing length for power.

IDK how to explain other than it's just like using a hammer. You start loose and gradually assist the hammer's head weight into the hit and tighten/brace everything up at the hit (or the nose of the disc where you feel the weight slinging). You can't just noodle arm it or you'll get blown back from the hit, you have to guide it and focus the funneling energy into the hit or thru the hit out to the target. It's all shots putts to longest drives, just changing swing length for power.

Okay good to know. I'm sure when I tell my arm to be "loose" it just has a default speed it's used to releasing at. I probably don't feel it because it's so ingrained in memory.

I have some success when I think about the line is away from me. I no longer pull the disc tight to my chest but it's about 6 inches from my chest. I noticed the pro does this as well.

Not sure how to link images from my phone or I would.

I recommend getting a Jolly Ball and practicing your disc golf form while playing fetch with your dog. It's nice and heavy with a handle for gripping, you can feel the weight and energy of the ball very well.

I have some success when I think about the line is away from me. I no longer pull the disc tight to my chest but it's about 6 inches from my chest. I noticed the pro does this as well.

Not sure how to link images from my phone or I would.

similar to gladiator disc golf?

I am no physics master. But I noticed if I keep my wrist and forearm a little more tense in the backswing compared to completely limp it feels a lot hard on my shoulder. It also feels like my arm weights about a million pounds swinging about. Do you think this is because it is creating more force that has no way of transferring out of the body and into the disc? Is this a more correct feel then 100% noodle?

I feel like a noodle arm has more potential to move faster but with decreasing accuracy and distance by loosing the leverage you can put into the disc with a more taut arm.

Would you describe the hit as almost feeling like you're trying to stop your arm from swinging and transfer it all in the disc? This sounds painful haha

After watching the golf video of that pro device I guess you could look at the wrist as if it the black handle, your wouldn't want bend from it being so relaxed.

I am no physics master. But I noticed if I keep my wrist and forearm a little more tense in the backswing compared to completely limp it feels a lot hard on my shoulder. It also feels like my arm weights about a million pounds swinging about. Do you think this is because it is creating more force that has no way of transferring out of the body and into the disc? Is this a more correct feel then 100% noodle?

I feel like a noodle arm has more potential to move faster but with decreasing accuracy and distance by loosing the leverage you can put into the disc with a more taut arm.

Would you describe the hit as almost feeling like you're trying to stop your arm from swinging and transfer it all in the disc? This sounds painful haha

After watching the golf video of that pro device I guess you could look at the wrist as if it the black handle, your wouldn't want bend from it being so relaxed.
I think I agree with what you are describing. You can tense the lower arm/disc in place and load back against it like a hammer/door frame drill.

Note how the disc pivot(tip of the whip) is the only thing moving at release in slow motion drill. The release then pulls the hand and the rest of the body thru into the follow thru.