• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Linbrook Park DGC just minutes from Knob Hill in Franklin Park, PA

Some of you may know that there is a new disc golf course in Pittsburgh. Linbrook Disc Golf Course is located in Franklin Park just minutes from Knob Hill. As of right now there are 9-holes installed and there were plans for 18 holes to be completed this year.

Unfortunately Franklin Park Borough is stalling on this project and they are not ready to move forward with completing the course as they initially had agreed. They are also having problems with maintaining the grass-cutting of the course. Apparently they do not understand what disc golf is and they do not think that people are using the course or will use the course enough to warrant it's completion.

This is where you come in. We need some letters of support to be written to the Franklin Park Borough. It is important that our voice is heard and that they realize that disc golf is a good thing and that they have a great opportunity with this course. We have paid for the baskets on our own, we have done all the work with some help from the Franklin Park Road Crew, and they are getting a disc golf course built by volunteers. Please help me in sending a letter or email to them to let them know that you like disc golf and that you would like to see the course completed into an 18-hole course.

They really have no idea what disc golf is. At their last meeting they said "If we complete this, then they are going to want a clubhouse, and carts and we will need a manager to run that" All we are asking for is for them to let us finish the front 9 so that it is complete, and to allow us to finish construction on the back 9. As well as cut the grass on the course once or twice a month during the summer months.

Please send an email or letter to them to let them know that you support disc golf and why you think it is a good idea for them to build this course.

You can contact the Mayor of Franklin Park and the head of council through these emails [email protected] and the head of Council [email protected]

Please send the email to both email addresses if possible.

You can also send a letter here

Franklin Park Borough
2344 West Ingomar Road
Pittsburgh, PA 15237
Phone: 412/364-4115
Fax: 412/366-4406

Thank you for your time and your support of disc golf in the Pittsburgh area.

Chris Deitzel

Everyone who is available should come out to Linbrook tomorrow morning (Wednesday) at 9:30. I am having a meeting with the council tomorrow at 10:00 and it would be great to have some people out there playing the course.

Facebook Page Created

Chris, I hope you don't mind, but I created a page for the course: https://www.facebook.com/LinbrookParkDiscGolfCourse

I figured we can give the course some publicity or at least some visibility for the council members.

I'll try to add some photos from this forum to the page. This is my first time with Facebook pages, so if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

I don't mind except that there is already a Linbrook facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Linbrook-Park-Disc-Golf-Course/386262648088676?ref=ts

Also, I had a meeting with the mayor and council members at the course the other week. I am pretty sure that they understand what we are doing out there and I do believe that we have their support to finish the course. I guess the problem has been that there was never an official YES from the council. Even though they all admitted to knowing what was going on, it just was never official. So now we have to present the course to council with a map of the area used and a map of the proposed back 9. They also need to know all maintenance that will need to be done and they want to approve all tee sign sponsors.

Basically they just want to say yes officially. So things are looking up around here. Right now maintenance on the course is stalled until we have the meeting with the council next month. So it will be a little bit rough out there for a while, but things are looking up.

When the mayor saw me throw a sidearm on Hole 4 and J Gary throw a backhand on hole 4 on the right side of the fairway, I think he finally realized what disc golf is.

Also, if you have played here, could you please review the course on this site? Would be nice to hear some opinions. Negative and positive are welcomed.

Also, if you have played here, could you please review the course on this site? Would be nice to hear some opinions. Negative and positive are welcomed.

Hey Chris, any chance we could schedule something for Saturday or Monday? I see nothing's on the calendar for this weekend.

Council discussed the best approach to remediate the concerns regarding the Disc Golf Course at last night's meeting. Given that the standard procedure for establishing a new project was not followed in this case. Council would like to see the following, which in essence are the steps that should have been followed to begin with:

Council would like to see a proposal that explains how the first 9 holes was developed. Include in the proposal, the course lay out, location within the park, the number of acres to be utilized, the number of acres remaining in the park, responsibilities of the Borough and Disc Association or volunteers, both during and afterward construction. Who the donors are? Are there any handicap accessibility requirements? What are the liabilities to the Borough in setting up the course? What are the benefits of the course? How many disc golf courses are there in the area? What is the level of use at several of the surrounding courses? What will the anticipated use of this course be? How has the money raised been handled? What info will be on the donor signs at each hole? Please feel free to include any other information that you believe may be pertinent.

Once Council reviews the above info, they will be in a position to discuss and direct the completion of the first nine holes.

Fund raising for the next nine holes should be put on hold, until the above concerns are addressed and/or Council approves the construction of the second nine holes.

Please feel free to call or email me with any questions.

If you have played Linbrook, please give a review. It can be harsh or nice. Just want to hear some opinions. I know it is rough out there right now, but things will improve once the borough backs our project. We have a meeting Tuesday to present our proposal.

Also, thanks to whoever made the Tee Signs!! They are awesome and really help out. We will be making nice signs in the future, but I really appreciate the effort. They will probably make it as the permanent tee-signs for the short tees.

Some fall photos....

Hole 9 from the tee and a look back from the basket.

Attachments

• P1080965.jpg
    P1080965.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 26
  • P1080969.jpg
    P1080969.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 22
Stalled out on 9-holes, but grass is being cut.

Tees are playable. Tee signs are being made right now and should be installed soon.

Might still be able to complete the back 9?

Chris,

If the back nine starts to move again, let me know when you will have some work days there, [email protected]. The front nine are a lot of fun to play and a full 18 would be great out there.

Thanks for your work on the front nine.

Derek

Pretty eventful year at Linbrook. The park director retired, and we have a whole new crew taking care of the course. It was a rough start to the year in terms of maintenance, but in the end, the grass did get cut, and the crew is going to be ready to do some good work in 2015. I am confident that the course will finally have the front 9 holes "finished". Meaning proper tee pads, tee signs, and 3-pins per hole.

The tee signs have finally been completed after a long process of design and redesign.

The park has also budgeted $2500 for 2015 to work on the tee pads. I am hoping that I will be able to have 2 sets of concrete tees installed on all 9 holes.

Perhaps once this is all completed, we will be able to start thinking about completing the course with the back 9???

In the meantime, it's not the easiest course to find your way around on the first time there. If you can find hole 1, you should be able to navigate the rest of the course. I am hoping to have the tee signs installed by January 1.