• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Live Scoring

Strong Island

What is the best app or software or site for live scoring a c tier event? I know of Udisc, PDGA, and Metrix, just not too familiar with them. I want to make it easy as possible for players to enter their scores. Thanks.

What is the best app or software or site for live scoring a c tier event? I know of Udisc, PDGA, and Metrix, just not too familiar with them. I want to make it easy as possible for players to enter their scores. Thanks.

As far as I know, to do live tournament scoring with Udisc, you have to pay them for it (I've heard ~$1000 for a tournament). PDGA live scoring is free and simple to set up and implement, and requires no downloading an app. I've used it at my PDGAs for the last couple years. I have instructions that fit on a business card that I print out and send out with the scorecards at the start of each round.

All the player needs is the address to put in the browser (always pdga.com/score) and the unique tournament code that you as the TD create (so it can be something easy to remember). Once the player is at the site and has entered the code, they just choose the division and the players in their group and start entering scores.

PDGALive is great. It's quick and easy to set up in Tournament Manager before each round. It automatically links on the results page and is stored there forever (as far as I can tell). There's really no reason not to do it. It's fast, it's easy, it uses extremely little data, and if you do it carefully it'll help verify your scores for you. The only danger is when people rely on the live scoring Total Score instead of doing the math themselves. It's easy to mistype an individual hole score, so if you just blindly copy the total from PDGALive onto your paper scorecard, you run the risk of screwing up.
I mention it in the players meeting and always state that it's strictly voluntary. Awesome if you do it, no problem if you don't. My last few tournaments have had almost 100% participation (except that damn MA60 division). Also it might be worth noting that Live Scoring is not official -- you will still be counting the paper scorecard for the official score.

I print out a bunch of slips of paper and fold them onto the scorecard (hell, print them on the back of the scorecard if you're feeling fancy) that say:

We are asking for a player on each card to volunteer to enter scores for PDGA live scoring. If someone on your card is willing to enter scores, please follow these instructions:
- Navigate to pdga.com/score
- Access code is XXXXXX
- Select your division, round #, and names of the players on your card
- BE SURE TO START SCORING ON THE CORRECT HOLE
- Enter each player's score on each hole

Though PDGA live scoring isn't official, couldn't you use it as a quick check of the scorecards?

If the totals on the live scoring and scorecard agree, it seems almost certain that the scorecard is correct. What are the odds that someone did a math error on the scorecard, and a hole entry error on the live scoring, that exactly match?

Though PDGA live scoring isn't official, couldn't you use it as a quick check of the scorecards?

If the totals on the live scoring and scorecard agree, it seems almost certain that the scorecard is correct. What are the odds that someone did a math error on the scorecard, and a hole entry error on the live scoring, that exactly match?

The same odds that someone just copies the total from live scoring and puts it on the paper scorecard without doing the math.

No offense taken. :) I'm an MA70 player and love using PDGA live score. Easy peasy.

Not all "old guys" are computer, smart phone, tablet challenged.

Since I wrote that post (23 months ago), acceptance has skyrocketed. I've had 100% Digital Scorecard usage for at least a year (at least, ever since the return from the Covid break).

Since I wrote that post (23 months ago), acceptance has skyrocketed. I've had 100% Digital Scorecard usage for at least a year (at least, ever since the return from the Covid break).

I guess I don't check stuff on here often enough! :)

can a TD require the top-person on the card to use their phone for Live Scoring? I do not like keeping my phone on during a tournament round, but when I'm at the top, I've been bullied into doing it because I randomly happen to be at the top of my card. I don't see anything in PDGA rules that could force me to do this. Happy to keep it on paper, I just would rather leave phone off, and thinking of just leaving it in my car.

can a TD require the top-person on the card to use their phone for Live Scoring? I do not like keeping my phone on during a tournament round, but when I'm at the top, I've been bullied into doing it because I randomly happen to be at the top of my card. I don't see anything in PDGA rules that could force me to do this. Happy to keep it on paper, I just would rather leave phone off, and thinking of just leaving it in my car.

No- TD cannot make anyone use Live Scoring despite the fact that it is light years better than any other option. That being said it has been probably 2 years (30 events or so) since I have had a group in an event not use Live.

No- TD cannot make anyone use Live Scoring despite the fact that it is light years better than any other option. That being said it has been probably 2 years (30 events or so) since I have had a group in an event not use Live.

We struggled a couple of weeks ago at Paw Paw with cell repetition and some cards where forced to use paper. It depended on which carrier players had.

First time in 2 plus years I used paper.

Event I played recently, we used live for one score and the backup was some other app--don't what it was, but when the guy put in the scores it would announce the tee order after the scores were entered.

Anyone know what app does that? Could be just a regular golf app for all I know. Could be a feature of UDisc I don't know about.

Latest posts