• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Loaning Discs

Harry Bob

A few weeks back I was on the road working in Houston and went to play a new course. This course was strewn along a large body of water. After throwing the first hole, I was searching for the second hole and ran into two guys. They asked me to play and I said yes. One of the guys had started playing recently and the other never had. The new guy is borrowing his buddies disc and throws it into the water on the first throw. So his buddy asks me if I will loan him a disc. I don't want to lose my disc, but I don't want to be a jerk either, so I give him a Star Wraith that I had found (didn't have any throw away discs to let him borrow). On the third hole, he throws my disc into the water. His buddy tried to find it with no luck. He says he's sorry but doesn't offer to pay for it and asks if he can borrow another disc. The other guy asks me if he can borrow a mid-range as well. I didn't turn them down and the new guy ended up throwing a couple more holes then leaving. So I didn't lose anymore discs.

I'm just curious if anyone out there has had an experience like this? If not, what would you do if this happened? Do you let the guys borrow a disc? Do you say anything to him about replacing the disc?

HB

Sounds like next time a store has a deal on multiple x outs or DX plastic you need get some and keep in your trunk.

Wow, I can't imagine not offering to repay someone for a disc I lost, especially if it was someone I didn't know. I've had a couple friends lose discs, and they always offer to replace them. I always turn them down, but it's nice to at least have them offer. Sounds like you're a nice guy to keep loaning discs, sorry that you got burned on that one.

My disc collection is not very large, so I would be hesitant to let someone borrow a disc, especially on a course with water. If it was an open course with very little risk for losing, then I would be more than happy to let them borrow it as long as I get it back.

I know a lot of guys on here carry extra discs to give away to newer players. I just don't have an overflow of discs to do that.

ive got a couple discs in my truck i would go get for em...but they wouldnt be throwing anything out of my bag.. theres only a select few people that i will let try out one of my discs and it has to be on an open hole with no water...as far as them throwing my disc in the water, im not sure what i would do...i woulda prolly shook it up and acted like it was no big deal but id be pretty pissed on the inside...

A friend of mine borrowed my brand new Champ Valk and lost it, then lost another disc two holes later. I also lost one, so I really lost three discs that round. Never got any back. I wasn't fond of any the discs he lost at the time, so it didn't bother me and it was actually amusing.

I let a good friend try out my first Teebird, which he promptly drove on to a park road where it got run over.

In February I loaned a new player a brand-new XL to use on an open course. Got to the last hole and there is a pavilion with basketball courts that borders the hole. I'm thinking no way he can throw my new disc on the roof. This past Sunday I checked again and the TL is still on the roof of the Pavilion. The Rec people say when they change some ball field lights they will get it for me. Wonder what changes a XL goes through after 6 months on a metal roof in the South Louisiana sun?

In February I loaned a new player a brand-new XL to use on an open course. Got to the last hole and there is a pavilion with basketball courts that borders the hole. I'm thinking no way he can throw my new disc on the roof. This past Sunday I checked again and the TL is still on the roof of the Pavilion. The Rec people say when they change some ball field lights they will get it for me. Wonder what changes a XL goes through after 6 months on a metal roof in the South Louisiana sun?

Ouch, that disc is probably southern fried by now.

When you get it back you should take a picture and post it on the DISCtruction thread.

Ive loaned them out, but I think of someone lost one without even pretending to try and pay me back, I might flip out. Its not that I want the money/replacement disc, I just want to be offered.

That is why I carry junk plastic in the bed of my truck. If someone needs to borrow a disc, there you go. If you find my truck and you like stealing things you at least have a selection in the bed and maybe you wont break in

Yeah I agreed with having some junk plastic around in these situations. Also I totally understand your dilemma, I think in the future you should feel free to say no and explain yourself. Or if you were to lend out discs express to them how much your plastic costs and that its very important to you.

That is why I carry junk plastic in the bed of my truck. If someone needs to borrow a disc, there you go. If you find my truck and you like stealing things you at least have a selection in the bed and maybe you wont break in

junk in the trunk you say?

I always find myself lending discs to new player/friends and I seem to always have someone lose a disc. It kinda is a downfall to lending someone your disc, but hey it's getting another player in the game and most of the time its a cheap dx disc.

There is no way in hell anyone is getting something out of my bag. If I knew I was meeting with new players I would bring some discs...hell, our friends still have a half dozen of ours they borrowed but obviously we are not missing them.

So...yes, I would loan discs if made aware before-hand. No, they would not be from my bag.

There is no way in hell anyone is getting something out of my bag. If I knew I was meeting with new players I would bring some discs...hell, our friends still have a half dozen of ours they borrowed but obviously we are not missing them.

So...yes, I would loan discs if made aware before-hand. No, they would not be from my bag.

Yeah, I usually don't loan out any of the discs that are currently in my bag. Most of my extras are in a couple boxes in the trunk of my car though, so I can rummage around in there for loaner discs.

I have 1 buddy that has lost 4 or 5 disc and said he would replace them and never did. The last time he wanted to play with me, I took him to Play it Again Sports so he can lose his own discs

Latest posts